24mm Summilux ASPH or Summicron ASPH

SMAL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys,

I own a M10 with the 35 Lux FLE and the 50/1 Nocti V4. I would love a wider lens to complete my set. I don´t want an UW lens and now need to decide between the 24/1.4 Lux ASPH or the 28/2 Cron ASPH. I also own a Leica Q and enjoy the 28/1.7 on it. Weight, size and prize speak all for the cron, but I like the look of wide angle lenses with a wide open aperture.

I shoot a lot with 24/1.4 on my Sony and have shot a lot 24/1.4 back then with my Canon.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Why try decide between 24 1.4 and 28 2.0 when there is also a 28 1.4?

It depends which focal length your prefer... I personally like the 24 summilux a lot, more than the 28 summicron which I also had. I don't have any personal experience with the 28 summilux.

I always felt the 24 gave a even nicer "cinamatic" feel to my images especially when shot at 1.4 it's really wide, but still get's nice bokeh.

• Like 2

I´ve just heard so many mixed reviews about the 28 summilux. I feel exactly the same about 24mm with a wide aperture like f1.4.

Honestly I can´t really tell which focal length I prefer. I have a deep love with 24, since there has never been a good 28 for Canon and as long as I enjoyed the 28/2 Sony, it still had too many flaws (for me), that I ended up with the new FE Sigma Art 24/1.4 and loved it like my 24L II on my Canon. So that being said I have simply more experience with 24mm, cause my wife uses the Q a lot, but I enjoy the 28 on the Q. :D

Oh man, this reads as if I am nuts. 

• Like 1

I love the 28mm focal lengt. To complement it I got the 21 Cron. I love this combination and 21mm are not too near the 28mm.

And about the spread between 28 and 35: The 35mm I barely use as with 28mm I can crop a bit if needed which is rare. I imagine that with 21 and 24mm the same consideration applies.

Edited by Alex U.

I think 3mm (21 to 24) is a huge difference in focal length and I don´t feel the need for a wider lens than 24mm. I think I will compare the Q and the 35 Lux again and see if it feels too close to 35mm, if so the decision is clearly for the 24 Lux.

[...] Weight, size and prize speak all for the cron, but I like the look of wide angle lenses with a wide open aperture. [...]

24/1.4 and 28/2 lenses have the same DoF at full aperture so i doubt you would find significant differences from this viewpoint. I have no experience with 24/1.4 lenses though, only 24/2.8 and 24/3.8, but aside from their 35mm equiv. FoV on APS cameras, they don't interest me much on FF cameras compared to 21mm and 28mm lenses personally. YMMV.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

24/1.4 and 28/2 lenses have the same DoF at full aperture so i doubt you would find significant differences from this viewpoint. I have no experience with 24/1.4 lenses though, only 24/2.8 and 24/3.8, but aside from their 35mm equiv. FoV on APS cameras, they don't interest me much on FF cameras compared to 21mm and 28mm lenses personally. YMMV.

When do they have the same DoF? When the subject is the same size in the frame or with the same subject distance?

Yes, it´s more like 28/1.9 to be equal. Still can´t decide. Headed to a local store, but they only had the 28/2 Cron in Stock. I played with it, but it wasn´t love. I will probably now decide between the 24 and 28 Lux.

I have not read anything particularly negative about the 28 Summilux;  Being a 28mm lover, that would be my choice between the 24 and 28 Summiluxes. 

The only negative comments I have read about the 28 Summilux was that it produces exposure vignetting at f/1.4 and is not quite as sharp wide open as other 28mm lenses made by Leica.  Those same observations have also been made about the 21mm 'lux and the 24mm 'lux, though.  For the wide angle Summilux M lenses, that seems to be part of the package. 

For those who demand corner to corner sharpness, get the 28/2.8 Elmarit M #11677 and shoot at f/5.6 to f/8; problem solved.

When all is said and done, you sound as if you want the 24 Summilux.  If that's so, by all means - get one; life is short.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

Perhaps it’s too obvious to state that the M camera frame lines only go as wide a 28mm.

while the EVF is an option either the M10, it’s not something I would want to use all the time. Live view in general is quite laggy.

i.e. you will not get as fluid an experience with a 24mm on a M10 as you would on a Sony A7 or Leica SL.

Had the 21mm Summilux for a few years then traded it in for a 28mm summilux.

No complaints against te 28mm Summilux; though I do also switch to a 28mm Elmarit or Summicron whenI want something smaller. The Summicron probably the best all round lens.