New firmware 1.2

ArtZ

I doubt we will get something before summer holidays.

I don't believe Leica will to publish a new firmware just before their Customer Service closes. If there's a serious problem, nobody could help us.

Leica will wait after holidays (when everyone comes back to work relaxed and a good mood) to deal with new problems.

What significant changes are we expecting from the new firmware?

I consider that v1.102 is a kind of beta firmware. It's the FIRST firmware which allows using the IR-UV filters. Don't you think there's still a lot of work to do on that direction to get better results with Leica glass?

Leica must know correct some problems like WB and optimize the code. There're quite a few bugs (probably Guy Mancuso could say that better than me) to be corrected and funcionalities to be added. Probably, next version will be the first not beta version since the M8 came out.

I consider that v1.102 is a kind of beta firmware. It's the FIRST firmware which allows using the IR-UV filters. Don't you think there's still a lot of work to do on that direction to get better results with Leica glass?

Leica must know correct some problems like WB and optimize the code. There're quite a few bugs (probably Guy Mancuso could say that better than me) to be corrected and funcionalities to be added. Probably, next version will be the first not beta version since the M8 came out.

I don't understand your use of the term Beta when referring to 1.102 and all the other version that have ben officially released to the general public. I wouldn't consider 1.09 or 1.102 as beta. There was one beta that somehow got placed on the public download sight and there has been many other beta version that were only released to the official beta testers around the world.

Manuel,

I've been told by Customer Service in Solms that they aren't shutting for summer this year because of the volume of work!

I don't know if my leg was being pulled to make me feel comfortable I'd get back 2 lenses sent for coding, which I would like back in Oz before taking long leave from October, but that is what was said.

I suppose time will tell.

Regards

David

I don't understand your use of the term Beta when referring to 1.102 and all the other version that have ben officially released to the general public. I wouldn't consider 1.09 or 1.102 as beta. There was one beta that somehow got placed on the public download sight and there has been many other beta version that were only released to the official beta testers around the world.

Shootist, I believe the new firware version will be pretty different to the 1.10. Guy told us in another thread that we won't be disappointed with new version.

I think, lens detection, infrared and WB issues have been a nightmare for Leica. Under these circonstances, they had to move quickly and release a firmware version (1.10) that allow users (and future customers) to use the M8.

Once this have been done, Leica will take their time to correct bugs, optimize code, add features... Obviously, for commercial reasons, Leica cannot call version 1.10 as beta..

I still find some important bugs to be corrected: JPEG quality must be still improved, occasional "venetian blind effect", SDHC support, pictures erased from SD card (of course, they can be recovered using the computer and undelete software), occasionally when you try to see the last picture taken, M8 shows you the previously taken picture, etc.

I love shooting DNG... but Leica doesn't give the choice to shoot JPG because WB doesn't work and JPG quality is dreadful.

For all these reasons I consider version 1.10 as a beta version.

Eh, guys, I'm just try to make positive critics. I love my M8 and I don't regret to have bought it but I think it's not a finnished product. I hope Leica listens and will release soon a decent version of firmware which allows us to explore all the possibilities of our M8s :rolleyes:

ozdavid: I love OZ... I've been there many times and I dream to use my M8 next time I go to Sydney, King's Canyon, Alice Springs, Perth, Melbourne, Darwin... colours must be amzing with the M8. Ahhhh... if I could be there right now...

Concerning shutting down Solms during summer vacations, I have other information. Leica has started sending all items available to dealers. They do this every year before annual shutting down. My dealer told me the day before yesterday (when he got my Leica IR-UV E49 filter) that Solms closes on August as every year. He's waiting for lenses (WATE, 21, 24, 28, 75, 90), accessories (filters, WATE adaptors, etc) and cameras sent to be repaired (my Digilux-2, for instance). He doesn't expect to receive these items before september. :mad: