The new habits we acquire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M8 to New Jersey yesterday for what may be SDS, and photos to shoot tonight at a local club. No problem, just put the M6 in the bag, with the same lenses, get to the club and, lo and behold, no film in the bag! Well, why would there be? After all, I've gotten so used to the great files from the M8, that I stopped even carrying a film backup. Maybe I should have color coded Domke 803 bags--one for digital and the other for film. I haven't found myself without HP5 [used to be HP4,way back] since HP5 first came along. LOL.

What sort of habits [Yes, I know, lens acquisition] are all of you developing with digital?

--NS

Carry it everywhere, all the time, with a 28 attached and a 50 in my pocket. I know that I can always get the shot and it feels like coming home. It also reminds me how much I missed out on when a 1D mk2 + 28-70 was my walk about kit. THEN I only took out the camera when I was planning to take photos. Now the camera is part of how I run my day.

Funny story... for backup purposes, I have decided that the most practical (=light) way is to put my Leica CL - film charged - in a pocket of the bag: luckily, it fits perfectly CL body w/o lens... and 35+90 fit on the CL... but, to be honest, I start to worry about the Kodacolor date of expiration...

I generally find going digital is wasting more of my time ... ok, this doesn't include chatting on this board. LOL So now, many things I've never cared about has to be done by myself .... sheeesh, now that's a habit ... big deal.

It's beginning to look like my new hobby is acquisitions: Finder magnifier for the 75 I bought to replace my 90; the 75 Summilux itself; the 30% off 28mm. Holy cow! Now I find myself agreeing that a CL [which I once owned--got it for $325 new back in the previous millenium-but, naturally, sold] might make an even better back up [smaller] than the M6. If I get that, then I'd be able to order an adaptor for the no longer available battery, and a 75mm Auxiliary finder--no, wait! I wouldn't be able to focus a 75mm Summilux on a CL, But, on the other hand, I could probably find a nice 90mm Elmar-C. And then, if I wanted a [small] digital back-up, I could get a D-Lux 3.......

NS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Norm, I probably would have made the same mistake and left the film behind.

Fortunately, the backup to my M8 is a D2. Not the same animal, but still a nice rig.

The film in my freezer, along with my M6, have found their way to California and my son's camera bag. Shortly, all the developing tanks, and film washer will be dispatched there as well.

The habit I have had to acquire is backup, backup, backup, backup, ...

And my bride complains about the time I spend at the computer, as well. It takes away from the honey-do list.