MP vs M7

intinsifi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am thinking about getting a film Leica. I currently have a Nikon D200, and I am tired of the digital look and feel. I want a camera that requires more user input, and I can't figure out which one would be a better choice. The main difference between the two cameras for me is AE. I can't decide whether I need Aperture Priority; I use it a lot on my D200, and I am thinking the MP would be the way to go. I do a lot of street shooting, and I was wondering if its very difficult to shoot without AE. Also, I know the meters on the cameras are very basic. Does using AE on the M7 produce good results, or is it better to do it yourself. I am used to Matrix Metering since I am coming from digital. Thanks!

Nothing wrong with the AE nor metering and any curlies you would learn to work around. Rangefinder is going to be a learning curve anyway. What tipped me to the MP was shutter release and the detents. I came from sophisticated metering and shutter of R9 where I found sophisticated in camera exposure wasnt the b-all. I find the rate determining step is composition, practice puts everything else inside that. Whichever way you go, personal choice. Welcome the the forum, hope you decide to stay.

Regards

jason.. it is very difficult to answer this question..... my personal preferance is clearly MP..

your preferance ??? u should choose yourself..

take a look at my pages that are intended for those who start or want to gain some extra knowledge.. it is in preparation, but some parts here will give you material to think about :

the art and craft of light

jason.. it is very difficult to answer this question..... my personal preferance is clearly MP..

your preferance ??? u should choose yourself..

take a look at my pages that are intended for those who start or want to gain some extra knowledge.. it is in preparation, but some parts here will give you material to think about :

the art and craft of light

If you want to save some money you can always buy a Voigtlander R4.It's apeture priority with Leica lens mount.

I use AE on the M7 and M8 somewhat less than half the time. In easy light it provides accurate results when moving from sun to shade, or when shooting indoors in even but variable light. When there's strong backlight, a dark background, or strong light sources in the frame, I either AE lock or, more often, switch to manual. If I have beautiful light and time, I shoot manual only.

I often use AE as the default position of the shutter dial. Then if I'm afraid I'm going to miss something, I can just fire and typically get reasonable exposure. Every now and then the light is too challenging and the result isn't usable. Such is life.

Manual mode is also perfectly usable for street shooting (especially if you shoot black and white film). It works pretty well to meter for the predominant light in an area, and fine tune if you have time. Every now and then the light is too different from your setting, and the result isn't usable. Such is life.

I think AE is sometimes nice, but it isn't a requirement by any stretch. If you like the idea of AE, get the M7, it's really a sweet camera (and can be used metered manual, just like an MP). If you're more jazzed by the MP, go for it, and don't worry about the AE, you'll learn to get along just fine without it.

--clyde

The M7 shutter speed can go in-between increment in Aperture Priority Mode.

ie: 1/1000 sec, 1/750 sec, 1/500 sec, etc.

If you're buying used, make sure you get the M7 with the Bright-Line Viewfinder (Later Release).

-Ron

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I took out the new M7 for the first time last weekend - and was really pleasantly surprised in comparison to my used M6TTL. Haven't developed any images from it yet (so maybe they're all wrongly metered!) but my observations comparing these two cameras (and not the MP I'm afraid):

- the shutter was even quieter than the M6! (which i thought was impossible)

- i really liked the on-off switch compared to the M6 (I've managed to take a couple of shots inside my bag...)

- i tested the AE against my own manual metering - and found we always agreed! with the difference that the AE worked infinitely faster than I did, and I loved seeing such neat and discreet visual feedback in the viewfinder without distracting from shooting, at all

- the viewfinder (even though apparently not one of the latest, according to the camera serial number) is definitely brighter and the lines more clearly defined than the M6

So even though this isn't a comparison with the MP, I can definitely recommend the M7 as a truly great camera.

Best wishes - and good luck with your choice, whatever it may be....

• Like 1

The M7 shutter speed can go in-between increment in Aperture Priority Mode.

ie: 1/1000 sec, 1/750 sec, 1/500 sec, etc.

Ron, I believe you can also set the MP in-between the predefined shutter speed settings. It was possible with the M3, and therefore should also be possible with the MP. There are certain exceptions though, e.g. between 1/30 and 1/15 it's not possible (if I remember correctly), but as a rule it is possible.

Andy

Have M3 SS, M6 0.85 and M7 0.85. M3 sits unused now. Carry M6 and M7. Mostly shoot M7,fast, only have to focus and accurate meter. Looking for another M7 0.72 to use with 28 f2.0 and will sell M6.

MP is nice of you have the time to focus, and set either aperature or shutter. For fast work, the M7 is the best M of all time, just focus!-Dick

Either are spectacularly nice cameras. I suspect you would be happy with either.

As mentioned above, there's a learning curve with rangefinders, but if you use it a lot, then the curve is steep, that is, quick.

If you are getting into rangefinder photography because you want a more basic photography experience, in terms of taking the picture, and you want more of the decisions to be placed on your own shoulders, then the MP is the choice. The MP is also the choice if you are getting away from electronics for durability issues. I'm not saying that the M7 is not durable, but with the more electronics it has it is more prone to failure, if only slight.

If, however, capturing the street image is of primary importance, then, between the two, the M7 might be your choice, because, at least initially, it will allow you to shoot faster. But once proficiency with an MP (or M6) is obtained you will find that you can shoot almost as fast as an M7; the saving in time, if any, will be measured in the fraction of the second.

I feel -- and obviously this is just my opinion -- that a fully manual camera, albeit with a built in meter, forces you to learn more about photography. You learn how to focus spot on quicker then auto focus by using depth of field issues. You learn how to meter by just knowing the amount of available light. And this stuff comes, and comes to you quickly, but only if your forced to make the decisions initially.

Either are good cameras, but I chose the MP. But I got into Leica rangefinder photography in the first place to get away from the electronics, because I had a camera go dead on me once, and now I have had a little digital thing do the same.

You would be happy with either. But rangefinder photography has more to do with the heart then the brain. You can't think about it too much. Go for the one which turns you on at an emotional level. If you do so, you'll be happy with your choice.

Goodluck.

I had the exact same "problem" earlier this year. My brain says M7 but my heart says MP. I chose the MP and thought I made a mistake as I wasn't used to manual everything. My photography got really slow and wished I bought an M7 instead.

After six months of use, mostly family vacations and of kids :D , I have to say metering is not what slows me down. I am no expert but have not missed exposure to the point of unusable, to my lowly taste anyway (note that I exclusively use print film at the moment). Focus and composition are what I need to work on, and the M7 won't help me there.

When I do candid shots of my kids at the mall, park, etc., I guess the exposure and set it on the camera all the time. I also preset focus and then wait for the moment. I am very glad I listened to my heart and got the MP as I now rarely use aperture priority even on my Nikon D80 -- got used to manual metering. I find manual exposure and setting the camera at the right exposure all the time is faster than using matrix metering/aperture priority etc. at the moment of the shot plus compensating.

That doesn't mean I am not thinking of getting an M7 :p However, everytime I think of an M7, my brain says wait for the M8+ instead!

I would find it a tough choice, as I use AE most of the time on the cameras I own that have it, but my rangefinder Leica's are an M2 and a lllf.

Ultimately if I was treating myself to a new one I think it would have to be the MP because it is fully mechanical and will potentially last 'for ever'.