Buying a DMR in 2018 - What to watch for?

charleswang

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/7/2018 at 7:33 PM, charleswang said:

Mladen, what you said makes 100% sense and is what a rational person would do - I am clearly not one here as I just really crave the look and feel of a digital R that's unique to this specific system. With the money I paid for a DMR I could've probably gotten a D850 which, let's be honest from a technical perspective, makes the DMR look like something made in the Stone Age. I guess I just don't care for 20 fps and 8million ISO and 5million autofocus points - all I need is a few beautiful glass, a capable sensor and a functional shutter to make photos. And while I can have a systems that looks 'right' and has its own unique character - that's even better.

As long as you are aware of it...I shot with an R9 and DMR in 2004-2008 or so. It has its charms, but I do think the camera is quite limited, particularly regarding ISO performance (basically, you are capped at 400) and dynamic range. This is still part of the generation of cameras that you have to be very careful about your highlights and shadows.This is also not mentioning the resolution, which even at a good 10mp, is still quite limited. I would not recommend much larger than a 40x60cm print. If you are looking for a vintage CCD Leica, I think the M9 is a significantly better camera. It's sensor is better, full frame, and the camera is more compact etc. If you want an R camera and R lenses, might I suggest shooting film? I shot both film and the DMR, and honestly the R9 is a lot nicer to shoot with film. It is a superb film camera and the lenses really get to shine on film, which is what they were designed for.  But, don't let me take away the DMR from you if you are dead set on it...I just think you are viewing it through rose tinted glasses. 

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 1

LOL, and I occasionally miss it John, but oh what a beast, big and heavy.

I do believe it was years ahead of it's time, and I also dearly wanted Leica (someone, anyone) to re-invent the DMR and make it affordable to the masses. The concept of using your film camera with both film and a digital back had merit to me.

Gary

I still use mine with my favourite lens - 180/2 APO Summicron - a truly monstrous gig lens

Randy Crawford earlier this year at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

On 12/5/2018 at 7:25 PM, gbealnz said:

I do believe it was years ahead of it's time, and I also dearly wanted Leica (someone, anyone) to re-invent the DMR and make it affordable to the masses. The concept of using your film camera with both film and a digital back had merit to me.

Gary

I loved mine, but would love to know how many users actually swapped the DMR back for film occasionally ? When the battery died? or went out shooting with both modes in mind?

I think I'll start a thread!

John

Advertisement (gone after registration)

^^^ Never used my R9/DMY with a film back. Used R8 with film until the motor drive batteries packed up … R8 now retired after relatively few films. Looking forward to trying R9/DMR with some recently acquired R lenses i.e. 80-200/4 R, 35-70/4 R, and PC Super Angulon 28/2.8 R … latter should be ideal for 'not too high'  buildings (38.36mm FF equivalent) 

dunk 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have never had problems with the dmr sensor. If not used regularly the camera sensor back and battery pack  from time to time have contact issues due to a corrosive layer. Can be easily removed and cleaned. Camera body shows no or strange info on display if this happens. Make sure you have min 2 battery packs and get them renewed at Mc Akku in Mainz. Akku power us quite low for around 80 fotos at ambient temp.

Of course, it's risky to spend so much money on such an "old" system.
Of course, some will never understand how anyone could do that.

But: Everybody has different dreams. And if someone really feels like having one, really is in love with that thought, why not?
Still better than investing the money in an old motorbike and risk your life riding it. Just kidding. Old bikes are wonderful, as long as they were built in England. ;)

All joking aside: It surely makes much more sense to buy a Canon EOS R or a Nikon Z6 or for budget reasons a Sony A7II (which is available for under €1000,- and works like a charm with R-lenses!), but neither of those is an R8 or R9. And sometimes THAT'S the point.

Edited by LucisPictor
  • Like 6

• 4 years later...

I love my Leica DMR and I prey it keeps working for a few more years or hopefully longer!

My best results and overall sweet spot is at ISO 200 and I try to keep the SS at or above 1/500s.

I usually carry a monopod that helps to hold the weight and steady the body in order use the f stop and shutter speed range, I want for the shoot.

The color and beauty of the images (Raw, color set at 16 bits and Leica’s best of their best, quality R lens) I tend to like, even sometimes over my Sony A7R4. Some of my favorite shoots I have taken, were with the DMR.

Nevertheless, the DMR is a very risky venture, as to how long it may keep working, it is limited to a slow shooting process, low pixel resolution and limited ISO range. 

Some Issues:

* Batteries: at least two working that hold a full charge, the battery charger. Very likely batteries may need to be rebuilt.

* Need very specific memory cards (maybe still find on eBay?).

* Need the special “crop” focus screen.

* Some LCD display screens have partially or fully faulty display sections.

* Sticky or faulty function buttons / controls.

* DMR attachment contacts not making solid contact (need cleaning).

* Best to have the special DMR “cover”, to protect the DMR sensor if it is removed and have the regular film back cover and battery cover that is used with the film back.

I have used the DMR with both the R8 and R9. They both work very well with the DMR. However, the R9 is newer, and has a few more features.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 12:34 PM, LucisPictor said:

Of course, it's risky to spend so much money on such an "old" system.
Of course, some will never understand how anyone could do that.

But: Everybody has different dreams. And if someone really feels like having one, really is in love with that thought, why not?
Still better than investing the money in an old motorbike and risk your life riding it. Just kidding. Old bikes are wonderful, as long as they were built in England. ;)

All joking aside: It surely makes much more sense to buy a Canon EOS R or a Nikon Z6 or for budget reasons a Sony A7II (which is available for under €1000,- and works like a charm with R-lenses!), but neither of those is an R8 or R9. And sometimes THAT'S the point.

Sony A7II is same as the A7 apart from IS. A7 III is a much better than both the A7 and A7II .  

My DMR continues to work flawlessly with the R8  and with a Quantum 1+ power supply and Michael Bass custom DMR power cable is 'future proofed' ref battery needs.

http://michaelbass.blogspot.com/2007/09/sync-cords.html#LeicaDMR_SubSectionStart

I also use a Michael Bass re-celled original DMR battery which is good for 250 plus shutter actuations. Has different types of cells to those  used in the original DMR battery. 

dunk

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

If you cannot find a 4 GB SD card - although they are still available- you can try a micro SD card in an adapter. 

I think the problem with 4GB SD is that most of those on sale today are in fact SDHC, which I don't think the DMR supports. The official SD standard only goes up to 2GB, but there was a transitional period before SDHC cards were released when non-standard 4GB SD cards were made, and these are supported by some SD-only cameras. I can see an off-brand 4GB SD card without the SDHC logo selling on Amazon for a somewhat inflated price, which may be one of these. 2GB SD cards are much easier to find, without the compatibility lottery, though that's not a lot of storage if you shoot raw or tiff.

2GB is HUGE. This is the card that Leica supplied. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jaapv said:

2GB is HUGE. This is the card that Leica supplied. 

Good Lord. Definitely one for the jpeg shooters! 3 DNGs worth, or maybe just 2 after formatting? Though with that logo it will be collectible one day.

This SD card works on my Leica DMR. 

Used on eBay for under $10 US.

Edited by SHenry

Taken with Leica R8 with DMR digital back ISO 200, 35-70mm Vario-Elmar f/4 zoom lens, 70mm, f/4.0, 1/180s and monopod.

• Like 8