M Lens to Nikon Z mount adapter

jaeger

15 hours ago, mocha said:

I bought both the Kipon and Shoten M to Nikon Z adapter from ebay and they took a week or so to reach the UK, arriving last week. Both good, but Kipon has snuggest fit and a nicer feel to the release mechanism. The m-mount line up is looking pretty attractive for the Z7 while waiting for smaller native z mount lenses. Been having success with the Voigtlander 40mm 1.2 on the Z7. 

Trying to decide what to do now for something around 21mm. Anyone tried the 21 SEM on a Z7?

Now that you mention Kipon has better fit than Shoten. I am going to order it. I have the shoten. I am not satisfied with its quality. 

I did the test here with a few M glasses on Z7. 

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1559075/11#14639649

I feel Z7 is as good as SL for M glass.  Hope it helps. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, lct said:

Sounds hard to achieve with a 1mm thick sensor stack. Did you try lenses wider than 35mm? If so, i would be interested to see your results.

Yes, I tried 15mm Voigtlander III, which is not the lens give most problems on Sony but I would say it show noticeable better performance as well. I'd say with 45M, this lens sure will give better IQ than native M. 

I also tried 21SEM on Z7, which is not as good as on M I would say(not sure about after down sample to 24M though), but fully usable after f5.6. Again, it is way better than Sony. 35mm f1.7 Voigtlander is another one with the design only perform good on M, and again it perform very respectfully on Z7. so is 50mm Summilux ASPH. 

I have slightly quality issue with my adapter and I would expect with good adapter, the performance could be even slightly better. No matter what, I would not hesitate use M glasses on Z7 since my most landscape or zone focus small aperture shooting are after f8. 

If you follow the link, you should be able to see the test results of above mentioned lenses. 

Edited by ZHNL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

Yes, I tried 15mm Voigtlander III, which is not the lens give most problems on Sony but I would say it show noticeable better performance as well. I'd say with 45M, this lens sure will give better IQ than native M. 

I also tried 21SEM on Z7, which is not as good as on M I would say(not sure about after down sample to 24M though), but fully usable after f5.6. Again, it is way better than Sony. 35mm f1.7 Voigtlander is another one with the design only perform good on M, and again it perform very respectfully on Z7. so is 50mm Summilux ASPH. 

I have slightly quality issue with my adapter and I would expect with good adapter, the performance could be even slightly better. No matter what, I would not hesitate use M glasses on Z7 since my most landscape or zone focus small aperture shooting are after f8. 

If you follow the link, you should be able to see the test results of above mentioned lenses. 

All good to hear.

I followed link provided in earlier post to the Fred Miranda site, it looks very promising.  Once quality Novoflex adaptors for M and R lenses to Nikon Z are available we may have new mirrorless champion.  Life is good.

• Like 1

Problem with M lenses is wides below 35mm usually. In my experience a thin sensor stack like that of my Kolari modded A7s mod is needed to avoid soft corners and/or edges at wide aperture on such lenses. I seem to recall that Kolari Vision did comparos between its 0.2mm "ultra thin" sensor stack and that of the new Nikons but i can't seem to retrieve the link. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is a link to FM discussion about Z7 with lot of examples with M lenses.  It seems some of the problems and shortcomings are due to cheap early to market lens adaptors.

Also, there seem to be some confusion over the coding and metering with non CPU lenses.  From my D700 days camera can write to exif up to 9 lenses with Focal Length and F stop - only FL made by Nikon are selectable which covers most M/R lenses.  It appears Z7 can memorise 20 non CPU lenses.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1559075/15#lastmessage

Of course principal camera for Leica lens is Leica.  

Where Leica falls short Nikon excels, it provides unmatched focal length range [want even mention flash system].  I doubt that L-Alliance with Sigma and Panasonic on board would come close any time soon.  

What is not to like if Z camera with good quality adapter, like Novoflex, can be used with some M lenses, probably most recent ones designed for Digital sensor and longer Ms would work well.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, mmradman said:

Here is a link to FM discussion about Z7 with lot of examples with M lenses.  It seems some of the problems and shortcomings are due to cheap early to market lens adaptors.

Also, there seem to be some confusion over the coding and metering with non CPU lenses.  From my D700 days camera can write to exif up to 9 lenses with Focal Length and F stop - only FL made by Nikon are selectable which covers most M/R lenses.  It appears Z7 can memorise 20 non CPU lenses.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1559075/15#lastmessage

Of course principal camera for Leica lens is Leica.  

Where Leica falls short Nikon excels, it provides unmatched focal length range [want even mention flash system].  I doubt that L-Alliance with Sigma and Panasonic on board would come close any time soon.  

What is not to like if Z camera with good quality adapter, like Novoflex, can be used with some M lenses, probably most recent ones designed for Digital sensor and longer Ms would work well.

Code and meter are fine with adapting M lens. IBIS is also effective. However, for now, Z7 will not record lens information with dumb adapter to EXIF. So you don't know which lens you used in LR. but by input different focal length, auto iso seems works as intended if you select automatic. Also by putting 50mm leica lens on it, but input 800mm in non CPU data, you will see IBIS work like crazy try to compensate which means IBIS take the information you input even no EXIF recorded. 

However, with leitaxed leica R on FTZ, you get all the benefit of above with EXIF on Lens information too :)  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

Code and meter are fine with adapting M lens. IBIS is also effective. However, for now, Z7 will not record lens information with dumb adapter to EXIF. So you don't know which lens you used in LR. but by input different focal length, auto iso seems works as intended if you select automatic. Also by putting 50mm leica lens on it, but input 800mm in non CPU data, you will see IBIS work like crazy try to compensate which means IBIS take the information you input even no EXIF recorded. 

However, with leitaxed leica R on FTZ, you get all the benefit of above with EXIF on Lens information too :)  

Yep, a little annoying that the Z7 won't record the manually input lens data into the EXIF. It seems to do it for Nikon's AIS manual lenses on the FTZ adapter.
I've been looking at your sample images on the FM site, and I think that's enough for me to give the 21 SEM a try. Thanks :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Novoflex adapter arrived yesterday. I did a very rough superficial check with a Summarit 90 and a Summilux 50. Both showed very good sharpness in the center of the image, but only the 90mm seems sharp at the border. I could even see the difference in the viewfinder when focussing. Did not yet check anything else - not even focus to infinity ... My hope is that the Summicron 75 is behaving like the Summarit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Photon42 said:

The Novoflex adapter arrived yesterday. I did a very rough superficial check with a Summarit 90 and a Summilux 50. Both showed very good sharpness in the center of the image, but only the 90mm seems sharp at the border. I could even see the difference in the viewfinder when focussing. Did not yet check anything else - not even focus to infinity ... My hope is that the Summicron 75 is behaving like the Summarit.

Maybe I did a mistake yesterday on this. Yes - the Summilux is a bit sharper in center, but I would say the sharpness difference corner / center is not worse than with a Nikkor I tried (1.4/58 AFS). So - for me at least this looks good enough to start trying the M lenses in real world with the Z7. No plans to replace the M10, though.

• Like 1

Two shots with the Summilux 50 ASPH

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Z7

M10 scaled up to the same dimensions

I think the Z7 is fine with the Summilux (center/portraits at least). I am not a very motivated lousy lens tester, btw. So yes, color is different, but I tired hard to focus correctly (M10 with the EVF this time).

Edited by Photon42
  • Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:49 AM, jaeger said:

The Z6/Z7 can probably able to solve high ISO noise, EVF, HSS and many small M issues for me.  I hope Z to M adapter is coming out soon and does anyone know it exist? 

I thought about sony a7xx but I don't like it.

I don't think ISO noise has been an issue since the M240 but the M10 is even more convincing

Although I love AF CSCs (try the Sony A7Rii and forget about the Nikon - loads of adaptors on market already and also Nikon SLR adaptor if you want) I always find the lens on its intended mount camera is the best

Only the M sensor deals properly with the edge profile of M lenses due to its manufacture. FF CSCs' sensors are manufacturered for linear light, which is anecdotally why Leica M 1.4 lenses are so small and why CSC 1.4 lenses are so big

My solution for this problem is always to buy brighter lenses :D

Edited by colonel

You would be surprised to see the performance of some of the M lenses on the Z. While I agree native lenses are often the best solution, I do like the idea to bring along with the M a very flexible package with which I am able to do the occasional portrait. See below for a 50 Summilux-M ASPH.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gyoung said:

For that sort of thing edge performance doesn't matter I suppose,  how about an infinity landscape with a 28 or 21 at 5.6, THAT will sort the men from the boys.

Let alone at f/2.8 or f/4. Third party sensor stacks must be very thin to compete with Leica's. The only ones are Kolari modded Sonys as far as i know.