My M8 seems to require repair. Take a look

Raid Amin

I don't know if my M8 was working perfectly or not.I accepted the images that I got back from it.

I know that I had never paid a cent on any services for it so far over the past years.If the rangefinder needed adjustments, then this should be a useful service, as you have said too.

I have hardly any free time for fixing each image that is taken with the M8 regarding the dead pixels. 

I also asked people at RFF about it. 

I waited until I had some suggestions, and then I decided to pay the $518.

Was this a bad decision?

If you're happy with your decision then it isn't bad!

• Like 1

It is a camera that gives me joy when I use it. Yes, there are far more technologically advanced cameras out, but I like what I have. The M8 is special and so is the M9. The M9 got a new sensor (for free), and now is the time to take care of the M8.

The M8 is my first digital rangefinder, and I enjoy it as much as I did  my M2 and M6, which I used for many years,

• Like 1

Raid,

I think the M8 deserves the full SPA treatment. It is a great camera.

Just yesterday I saw a video on YouTube from a guy saying that his M8 starts showing a magenta cast in half of the sensor, he sent it to Leica for an estimate and they ask £2,000 for the repair, so he said no. It was too much. However It is sad to see an M8 going out of business.

Raid,

I think the M8 deserves the full SPA treatment. It is a great camera.

Just yesterday I saw a video on YouTube from a guy saying that his M8 starts showing a magenta cast in half of the sensor, he sent it to Leica for an estimate and they ask £2,000 for the repair, so he said no. It was too much. However It is sad to see an M8 going out of business.

I think I've seen the same video last week. £2000 is a lot of money. Buying another second hand M8 could be a cheaper solution. Jaap made such a suggestion to a member concerning a Digilux2. From time to time I take a look at the second hand section of some well known dealers in Germany/Austria and prices are between 1200-1600€ VAT included depending on the rating of the camera. But second hand M8's (or M8-u, M8.2) are now harder to find when compared to the M9(-P,-ME) and the M (typ 240). There are a lot of these 240's available and I find the prices of the M 240's not so much higher compared to the M9. Presume it's due that the M9 used a ccd sensor.

I want to keep my M8 alive for a long time, hopefully.

Sorry, I didn't follow this thread further, glad to see the pixel problem has been fixed. Back in 2012 the remapping was approx. 360€, sensor cleaning included. The M8 is build like a tank, beautiful color rendering and not to forget the B&W capabilities. Due to different circumstances I have not yet used my M8 this year. I hope it's stil alive (I'll check that next week) and also hope it continues to work for a couple of years. Have other digital Leica cameras but the M8 is the only digital Leica that has/had pictures printed into photos.

Best

• Like 1

This is also the way I feel on keeping my M8 360 Euro are close to $500  sort of. Leica also and adjusts the rangefinder.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I didn't follow this thread further, glad to see the pixel problem has been fixed. Back in 2012 the remapping was approx. 360€, sensor cleaning included. The M8 is build like a tank, beautiful color rendering and not to forget the B&W capabilities. Due to different circumstances I have not yet used my M8 this year. I hope it's stil alive (I'll check that next week) and also hope it continues to work for a couple of years. Have other digital Leica cameras but the M8 is the only digital Leica that has/had pictures printed into photos.

• Like 1