My M8 seems to require repair. Take a look

Raid Amin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wouldn't be happy about paying 500 for a remap.

I love my Leica gear but one of the things that really annoys me about the brand is the time, effort and expense that is involved to rectify things like this.

I know all digital cameras suffer from these problems but I've never had these problems with my Nikons, Ricohs or Sony While I've had these columns and hot, dead, stuck pixels on 2 of the 3 M8s that I've owned.

I wish Leica would implement a better system for dealing with matters such as these.

Using a low ISO and making sure not to do PP with high contrast should almost eliminate any traces of such lines.

Here, I used LR5 and I avoided using Perfect Effects to change color to B&W. The dead line shows, but it is less obvious now.

U3565I1536525247.SEQ.0.jpg

Edited by Raid Amin
  • Like 1

My M8 has arrived to Leica Camera NJ! Now I need to wait patiently for their assessment.

Thank you for your submission to our LEICA Customer Care, the
confirmation of receipt can be found in the attachment.
We will inform you about the results of our incoming inspection shortly.

My M8 has arrived to Leica Camera NJ! Now I need to wait patiently for their assessment.

Thank you for your submission to our LEICA Customer Care, the

confirmation of receipt can be found in the attachment.

Raid,

a few years ago, my M8 had a similar dead pixel line issue and  remapping was done at Leica Solms.  I was charged around $500 at the time.

It's been fine since.

Hope you'll get your M8  sorted ! 

Best, Jean-Marc.

It is elementary to have bad pixels fixed automatically in post-processing.

I wish they would not call me shortly.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm experiencing the same issue in my M8, in my case I can trigger the appearing line even at ISO 320 with a more or less slow shutter speed,te

one thing I fine interesting is that when I preview the affected images in the camera screen I can see the line, then the camera does some work 

to the image (you can actually see the image change and reframing in the screen) and the the line disappears from the preview image but is still 

present in the image after checking the files, right now I'm trying to find a work around for this in pp.

Thank you, Jean-Marc. I hope that  repair is possible.

Raid

Raid,

a few years ago, my M8 had a similar dead pixel line issue and  remapping was done at Leica Solms.  I was charged around $500 at the time.

It's been fine since.

Hope you'll get your M8  sorted ! 

Best, Jean-Marc.

I'm experiencing the same issue in my M8, in my case I can trigger the appearing line even at ISO 320 with a more or less slow shutter speed,te

one thing I fine interesting is that when I preview the affected images in the camera screen I can see the line, then the camera does some work 

to the image (you can actually see the image change and reframing in the screen) and the the line disappears from the preview image but is still 

present in the image after checking the files, right now I'm trying to find a work around for this in pp.

Reducing the contrast may be helpful. I found out the using LR5 for PP shows hardly any dead line, as compared with CS2 and the Perfect Effects 9. 

Has anyone tried pixel fixer recently?

I gave it a go on my Windows 10 machine but, despite the presence of dead pixels on the RAW file, the software doesn't seem to pick anything up.

I'm wondering if it is no longer compatible with Windows 10.  Dropped the author an email but no reply to date.

Looking at the update history (the last being a few years ago), I get the impression that the software is no longer being developed.

If Leica's repair estimate will be too high for me, I will start learning how to use pixel fixer, and I do have Windows 10. Oh well.

For  a while before sending my M8 for remapping, I was using the Spot healing brush tool from Photopshop CS6 to clean up the dead pixel line on my affected pictures. 

I have received a repair estimate from Leica Camera NJ. It is $518.
Is it "OK" to go for it, or should I save the money and just live with the dead sensor sector?
The proposed service covers also a few other things, as shown below. Adjusting the RF and adjust the sensor may be useful service.

It looks like a CLA and a repair or remapping maybe.

Error description

adjust sensor
clean sensor
adjust range finder
CCD pixel error
clean, lubrication and adjustment
leather covering 
sealing ring, 

Edited by Raid Amin

I have received a repair estimate from Leica Camera NJ. It is $518.

Is it "OK" to go for it, or should I save the money and just live with the dead sensor sector?

The proposed service covers also a few other things, as shown below. Adjusting the RF and adjust the sensor may be useful service.

It looks like a CLA and a repair or remapping maybe.

Error description

adjust sensor

clean sensor

adjust range finder

CCD pixel error

clean, lubrication and adjustment

leather covering 

sealing ring, 

If the camera was working perfectly before (with the exception of the dead pixels), you're essentially paying Leica $500 to repair the dead pixels, which I think is very expensive. 

The M8 is an old camera and there is no telling what other problems might arise with old age.  If you can get Pixel Fixer or Photoshop to to fix the problem, it might be worth doing that instead.

If your M8 actually needed a CLA and rangefinder adjustment etc, then 500 bucks might not be a bad deal, but from what I've heard and seen, your camera only seemed to have the pixel problem.

I don't know if my M8 was working perfectly or not.I accepted the images that I got back from it.

I know that I had never paid a cent on any services for it so far over the past years.If the rangefinder needed adjustments, then this should be a useful service, as you have said too.

I have hardly any free time for fixing each image that is taken with the M8 regarding the dead pixels. 

I also asked people at RFF about it. 

I waited until I had some suggestions, and then I decided to pay the $518.

Was this a bad decision? 

Edited by Raid Amin

Leica usually offer a good warranty on serviced/repaired equipment. I bought an M9 which had been dropped and subsequently repaired prior to its sale by Leica. The dealer offered a 6 month warranty but when I queried Leica they said that they were providing a full 12 month warranty from date of repair. I didn't need it and the M9 still runs as well as ever after much more use. I'd say its $512 well spent myself. Enjoy your camera.