Your (non-Leica) favs on S

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Without knowing anything about the inner Leica-circles, I nevertheless imagine that Leica will extend the S-lens portifolio with/after the rumored S003 release... Irrespective of this - what is/are your on-Leica favourite lens(es) on the S?

I have the 24,35,70 and 120mm S, all of which are optically fine and, possibly, with the 120mm on top among the four.

I am primarily a landscapes shooter, but the question is not limited to optical 'perfection' like sharpness across the frame, high micro contrast, optical distortion, chromatic aberration, neutral colours, etc., but to the subjective term 'character'. 

For instance, I love the 75Lux-M wide open or just slightly stopped down, not for optical perfection across the frame, but for its sharpness vs blur, oof rendering, colour, etc. 50Lux-M, 50Noct-M and 90Elmar-M also belong to the same cathegory, wide(ish) open.

So: Which S-compatible lens do you adore - and for which reason?

Edited by helged

The Contax Distagon 55mm. works as a body cap on my S2-p. I love the Hasselblad 50-110mm. for strobe lights, I prefer to use it at f4,5-5,6. This lens covers the most useful range for people shooting and it’s very sharp.

The favorite Leica S lens is the S100mm.

• Like 1

I posted this in the Mamiya 80/1.9 thread, but it should probably be here for future reference.

I have an 80/1.9, but I never use it. The 70/2.5 is so much better.

The 80 is quite soft wide open, and I find the bokeh busy and distracting compared to the Summarit-S. It's certainly not "magical" like, for instance, an old Planar 50/1.4 is on the SL.

I also have a Mamiya 35/2.8, which was bad enough to make me buy the Leica S35. It was OK stopped-down at mid distances, but that was it.

I use the Mamiya 200/2.8 APO, and matched doubler. Good lens. I rarely feel the need go to that long, but it's fully up to the task.

My favourite non-Leica lenses on the S are the Hasselblad 110/2.0 and 150/2.8. They both "pop" in that classical Zeiss fashion, and have an extremely smooth transition between in-focus and out-of-focus areas. Lovely for portraits.

• Like 2

John:

I posted a separate thread on this topic; would appreciate any thoughts you might have on this lens.

Thanks,

Rob

I have it as well, Rob. It is lower contrast, but surprisingly good for portraits. My copy has a switch for auto aperture / manual aperture which effectively just closes the lens down to the aperture selected. So you can focus wide open, flick the switch and take the photograph with proper metering. Having said that, I mostly used it wide open with a Metabones adapter (I think). The Contax 80 is better, also stopped down, but the S+Mamiya 1.9 makes for an incredibility light combo.

• Like 2