Dead Charger?

Deliberate1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Friends, I have never had a Leica charger go bad on me, but this may be the first. I hooked a depleated battery up to it, and within just a few minutes, both the yellow and green lights were blinking. I disconnected the battery. The was no charge. I hooked up a second battery to make sure it was not a battery failure. And both green and yellow lights were illuminated solid  with just a couple minutes. Again, no charge. Dead charger? Is there any reset or is it time to take out the credit card? Are there third party alternatives?

Thanks.

David

There is a way to reset the charger. I *think* you plug in the battery first, then plug the charger into the wall. Good luck!

Ah, would that it was so easy. Did not work. But appreciate the suggestion.

Perhaps, fortuitously, my plan was to send the 006 down to Leica Miami next week for a sensor check for hot pixels and possible corrosion. I will send the charger as well. My certified camera was one that came with the three year warranty that runs for another couple months. Anyone know if the accessories, like a charger, are covered?

David

My experience w the S charger and batteries is that they are very temperamental. The blinking problem just happens once every so often. It sometimes fixes itself if you unplug and reply. Other times I have to discharge the battery and try again. This has been discusssed here before and the conclusion by the OP was something wrong with the charger. I tend to think like the S body they just like/have to malfunction every so often...

• Like 3

Yes, a charger backup solution is good to have. I have returned one M240-type and one SL-type of charger to Leica; one stopped to work, the other started to smell. So it appears for me that the cost of Leica charges are quite a bit higher than the quality. Or I could have been unlucky (being quite careful with the charging, I would add). No issue with the S-charger so far.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

OP here. Agreed. But I see a marginal charger as Leica marketing tool. Rather than spend $200 to replace it, I have since spent $8600 for a new one - and they threw in a new 007 for nothing.

Haha, glad that you take it with a sense of humor! I hope the issue is meanwhile solved for you.

Does anyone know if the Pro Charger is also made in China? Given its high price, it shouldn’t.

Edited by leicapages

ouch

I would not have a problem with that if the price was matched accordingly...

Agreed. But that would be un-Lieca like. Case in point, the made in China Q battery costs about $95. Identical alternatives (made in same facility?) without the Leica imprimatur cost one-third of that. Images I take with both look the same to me. Perhaps i am not looking close enough. 

David 

Agreed. But that would be un-Lieca like. Case in point, the made in China Q battery costs about $95. Identical alternatives (made in same facility?) without the Leica imprimatur cost one-third of that. Images I take with both look the same to me. Perhaps i am not looking close enough. 

David 

which alternative battery for the Q did you find?