Quick Access to Digital Zoom on Leica Q (Firmware 3.0)

Hello,

Is there a way for quick access to the Digital Zoom on the Leica Q like through the thumbwheel?  It appears that one of the only options for the thumbwheel is Exposure Comp.  I already have the FN button set to Scene.  I am very new to photography.

Thank you.

Welcome!!

others will probably give more answers. But in Firmware 3.0 you can set more things in FN and toggle what you want to use it for. 

Can I offer some unsolicited and maybe for you wrong advice? Scene isn't really so important, except in extremes (fireworks, etc) unless you're looking for jpgs right out of the camera--and that's a good way to start, but not by any means is this using the full possibilities of your terrific new camera.  When you're shooting in dng, you can fix just about anything in post-processing. That's a lot to take in if you're just beginning. But it is very worth your time learning one of the post-processing systems. Most use LightRoom or Capture 1. Photoshop takes a fair amount more effort, but it has virtually endless capabilities, and with it, you don't need to think much about Scene. I find I never use Scenes, but do occasionally mess with color balance, though even that less and less as I use Photoshop more.

• Like 1

Hello,

Is there a way for quick access to the Digital Zoom on the Leica Q like through the thumbwheel? It appears that one of the only options for the thumbwheel is Exposure Comp. I already have the FN button set to Scene. I am very new to photography.

Thank you.

Isn’t the simple answer in the Customize Control menu to set the Zoom / Lock Button to Digital Zoom?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As I understand it, the digital zoom isn't really zoom. It's just cropping the image in the camera to 35mm or 50mm. You can do the same on your computer after you copy the images. If you crop the images in the camera, you don't have the option of cropping less on your computer. 

Edited by russelljtdyer