M8 fans : Now i need help

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Philip,

You'll be lucky to find better than about 250 kb/sec ADSL uplink (broadband) in a hotel so each 10 MB DNG file will take about 320 secs to upload. Times that by 500 shots (5 GB) and you're looking at over 44 hours. If you convert them to 16 MB TIF files than you're looking at over 70 hours to upload.

Zzzzzzzzz .... :cool:

Pete.

Pete,

Thanks for doing the math for me. I intuitively knew it would be horrendous, but really!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course, now that I've just begun to get a handle on C1 processing (windoze, here) and am now preparing to use Cornerfix, I've ordered the CS3 upgrade ...

I hope you like Bridge 2.1 in CS3, I do. I did not like C1 and grabbed CS3 as soon as it was a final non-beta product. Its file management capabilities and RAW converter really quite good, IMHO.

How come this stuff doesn't get easier? Will all this continuous presence on a learning curve keep us from getting alzheimers?

I'd settle for reversing some of the alzheimers I've already got.

I hope you like Bridge 2.1 in CS3, I do. I did not like C1 and grabbed CS3 as soon as it was a final non-beta product. Its file management capabilities and RAW converter really quite good, IMHO.

I'd settle for reversing some of the alzheimers I've already got.

Isn't that Old Timers disease? Or is that the alzheimers kicking in.

Okay back to the earlier point about having someone process your files. Well it seems strange but it is being done in NY and in larger markets. Shooters drop off there raws and have someone very qualified to raw process there files. ...

I guess, one on level, it would be nice to have a real RAW expert tune up my images; and someone who is good at it would undoubtedly be better 90% of the time than me. So, it might just be a matter of developing trust with the qualified RAW jock. In a sense, the only downside is the expense. The photographer can still go back to the RAW file and "do his own thang." Certainly, I'd rather be behind the rangefinder than the monitor.

I know that some print media insist that their contract photogs do no editing or file manipulation at all: just capture the image and send it ASAP. The mag takes it from there. Hmmm...

Now would it not be nice to be able to just upload your raws and either have them when you get the chance to work them and take up no space on your drives or when your out on the road and have a backup on a server save and sound. Of course you need the infastructure to do that WiFi in more places but that is being done anyway

Yes, it would be nice. I believe some cameras are WiFi to a local computer now and I suppose it is not that big of a step to go right to the internet, although I would not expect that in an M8 or near-time successor. So, I think it is a valid forward-thinking service premise and perhaps business concept. I note that http://www.RAW.com does not seem to be taken so should we register it now?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Philip, I don't use Bridge at all, so won't notice that it works in any particular way in CS3. I will, however, have to learn to do white-balancing all over again.

CS3 does its RAW processing, including WB, in Bridge so I don't think you'll have any choice. You might be able to open DNG files directly in PhotoShop CS3 with some technical sleight-of-hand but I don't think so. If you are intent on avoiding Bridge, I would explore that in depth with Adobe before finalizing your purchase. Mind you, I think that would be a mistake, given my happiness with Bridge.

CS3 does its RAW processing, including WB, in Bridge so I don't think you'll have any choice. You might be able to open DNG files directly in PhotoShop CS3 with some technical sleight-of-hand but I don't think so. If you are intent on avoiding Bridge, I would explore that in depth with Adobe before finalizing your purchase. Mind you, I think that would be a mistake, given my happiness with Bridge.

Bridge is part of, comes with, PS CS3 and I think almost every other part/program in the CS3 suite, whether you buy a stand alone version of one of the program in the suite or the full suite, and there is no reason to try to remove it. You don't have to use it but it will get installed with PS.

If you double click on a RAW camera file in something like Windows Explore, or other file management program in Windows, or the like on the Mac platform, and it is not associated with some other RAW editor like Nikon Capture 4/NX for Nikon NEF files, it will open in Adobe Camera RAW first before you can open it PS.

I have both CS3 with Bridge 2.1 and Adobe Lightroom. I have the Martin Evening book on LR and have started to work with it. But I'm not a real fan of LR. I much prefer working in Bridge and ACR 4.1.

Bridge is part of, comes with, PS CS3 and I think almost every other part/program in the CS3 suite, whether you buy a stand alone version of one of the program in the suite or the full suite, and there is no reason to try to remove it. You don't have to use it but it will get installed with PS.

If you double click on a RAW camera file in something like Windows Explore, or other file management program in Windows, or the like on the Mac platform, and it is not associated with some other RAW editor like Nikon Capture 4/NX for Nikon NEF files, it will open in Adobe Camera RAW first before you can open it PS.

I have both CS3 with Bridge 2.1 and Adobe Lightroom. I have the Martin Evening book on LR and have started to work with it. But I'm not a real fan of LR. I much prefer working in Bridge and ACR 4.1.

I agree with you in general Ed, except I do not know enough about where Br is employed across the CS range to provide any insights.

I do not like Lightroom either. Martin Evening has produced a very good book about PhotoShop CS3 for the phtographer which I have.

I agree with you in general Ed, except I do not know enough about where Br is employed across the CS range to provide any insights.

I do not like Lightroom either. Martin Evening has produced a very good book about PhotoShop CS3 for the phtographer which I have.

Bridge is the file management program for all CS2 and CS3 programs. I have only used and bought PS for my personal use but I did take a course at the Portfolio Center here in Atlanta that did use the full CS2 suite. Bridge 1 was the default file management program to access all suite files.

I have both his CS2 and CS3 books and find them better then any other I have read.

The whole import, edit, export thing just doesn't work for me. I like to browse the images I shoot that day and cull out the bad ones, edit the ones I like the most and save them as either PSD and or JPG for posting to the web.

Others like LR very much. It just hasn't clicked for me.

Guest licht
Klaus you must like Leica . that is none other than our famous leader Christian Erhardt, Director of Marketing Photographic Division of Leica AG based in NJ. Great guy and actually I think it is his BD today.#166

i think he has a WATE in his hand

By the way, this picture would also be possible with a point and shoot cam, everything sharp and whiteout in the sky. :o

Guy Mancuso, you are not going to friggin believe this. Here is your Pix 2.46 Am from Phoenix? If like me you don't change so that makes it what? 11:26 local time in the shot..

Yes I knew of the shoot, (david Farkas tried to talk me into it...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guy Mancuso, you are not going to friggin believe this. Here is your Pix 2.46 Am from Phoenix? If like me you don't change so that makes it what? 11:26 local time in the shot..

Yes I knew of the shoot, (david Farkas tried to talk me into it...

Now, here is MY shot.. we were trekking in the German and Austrian Alps.. visited, when? I am east coast so 5:24 is 11:24 local time

TWO MINUTES APART!

Note the three guys with M8's they corralled me as I was going to meet my wife.

Is this something or what!

:-)

ok here they are

Friends of yours? I thouight it strange when I addressed them in German and they cam back in english!

WHere were you when I took this? (I am SURE you were NOT chimping LOL)

Victor,

That is me in the middle, with Christian to my right and Roger Dunham to my left. We all noticed a gentleman with an M8 at Schloss Linderhof that day. I can't believe it was you!

You're the one who's good at stats. What are the odds of this chance (un)meeting?

Crazy!

David

Guest guy_mancuso

I don't believe this , this is amazing first that is Christian , David and Roger . I went off to the right of the castle after i shot mine . When i came back one of them said , hey we ran into a guy shooting a M8. No joke i said did you talk to him and they said not really he said something in German and kind of walked away. My response i bet you I know this guy from the forum or something. I kid you not. I never got the chance to see you because i would have recognized you in a second. This is way to funny. Darn it wish i was with them at the time. These are the slow guys the rest of us were ahead of them. LOL

Guest guy_mancuso
By the way, this picture would also be possible with a point and shoot cam, everything sharp and whiteout in the sky. :o

What do you want with a 4 thousand dollar lens , blurry pictures. LOL

I shot him with the WATE . I stoped to sit down for a soda than from my chair i shot this one with a 75 lux which i like from my other body. really nice having 2 bodies