Guest guy_mancuso

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso
Does Zenfolio not have a way of recording comments against the images the way Flickr does? Posters could just simply add a comment (perhaps as simple as a "+" sign) in the comments field and save you all the compilation work.

I will for you and photograph the results and send to you or post here.

Does not look like you can do comments which would have been the way to go for this. I do like the interface though they have. Frankly i really wanted to do something like this commercially a place to upload but also upload your raws for when folks are traveling, so more storage type site. Than offer a service of processing the raw files for customers and feed them back finals. There all nice Flicker, Smug Mug, Zenfiolio , Pbase but they fail to hit the mark to some degree. They could add more services to them and make them better but we are also dealing with upload issues too for them with big files

Guest Motivfindender
Part of the problem is i really was not shooting with a purpose in mind more playing tourist myself. Interesting that you mention this Dirk because it brings up a good point .Pro's Usually we are told what needs to be photographed , i am so used to being on assignment with a purpose and when not you just shoot everthing around you. I had no real purpose except maybe to show my kids the images.Now if a client said go shoot the life of the German people on how there daily life is than that would give me a purpose and a reason to shoot differently and look for that type of subject. This is somewhat not good because you forget to shoot for yourself.

Now let's maybe take this a step further for the hobbyist and when they go out to shoot it is shots that pleases them and there not trained to actually shoot for a purpose or assignment and there is no pressure and for them it is normal but if we asked them to go shoot for a purpose than the pressure would be on and they have to think differently.

The roles reverse. Maybe this is something that would be a interesting conversation in another thread titled What's the Purpose to shoot. Hmmm

Hello Guy,

thanks for your answer. Well, discussing that stuff would be interesting for us bloody amateurs, we could probably learn something by a Pro like you.

As amateurs, some of us surely try hard to some other shots than those typical for a tourist (that means just 10 shots of neuschwanstein, etc.) but it is the question if we progress in the right direction.

As for my initially question, I put it because you wrote in the first posting:

So i need some help to pick 5 of my best shots that represent German life and 15 of the Porsche shots which i really did not shoot much of . But for fun I thought maybe some folks would like to help me and pick 5 of my best shots. I hate editing my stuff to get finals.

here is the link to the images Zenfolio | Guy Mancuso Photography | Leica/Porsche Germany Trip 7/07

just pick 5 and i will figure out the most popular . I know for a fact there is (2) I really like

So, I thought this pictures to choose should represent really german life (which is (I regret :D;) ) NOT to live at Neuschwanstein.

Perhaps you will start a Thread about the one point you mentioned. I´d participate with pleasure.

Dirk

Guest guy_mancuso

What section should we put that in (customer). i think it maybe a interesting discussion. i must be thinking a lot lately lots of thread i started

Guy,

My favorite is still the one of the woman walking thru the cemetery. This was posted previously and I commented on it then. It has multiple levels of meaning in addition to the interest of the shot. [number 334 in the list, today]

My second candidate is the tables on the terrace next to the lake, as seen from above. The space is empty and the different planes in the picture are arresting and confusing. [175]

For "German" local interest, the blurred, yellow Porsche going up the hill [261], and one of the fruit shots. [i happen to like 222 the best] Both of these were also posted previously.

Finally I like the wedding photograph, where the photographer is the center of interest instead of the wedding party or the cathedral [165], and I like the street cleaning machine with the "Andreas" license plate -- I would like to crop it more closely to focus on the mix of colors and the reflections [114]

As usual, your pictures are both interesting and creative. I feel like I was there.

Regards,

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tom best advice is do it but first go to a store and play with one , see if it fits your style with handling and focusing. There is a learning curve for sure so need to see if this will work for you , some of us love RF and some simple do not and really a matter of perference. As far as image is concerned the M8 is right up there at the top in this market so that part i would not worry about but how it feels to you. You know you buy something to wear and you don't like the way it fits you will never wear it so i say go to a store and get a demo. If you need help getting a store or leica rep to help you let me know. You have any questions about it than ask us , many nice folks here willing to help out.

Does not look like you can do comments which would have been the way to go for this. I do like the interface though they have. Frankly i really wanted to do something like this commercially a place to upload but also upload your raws for when folks are traveling, so more storage type site. Than offer a service of processing the raw files for customers and feed them back finals. There all nice Flicker, Smug Mug, Zenfiolio , Pbase but they fail to hit the mark to some degree. They could add more services to them and make them better but we are also dealing with upload issues too for them with big files

I like the idea of being able to up-load RAW files to an internet archive as you describe but I am not sure about a service that would process them. My wife says I am a control freak (but she would say that wouldn't she?), so you can expect that I want to control the process beyond shooting the pic rather than leaving post to anonymous others.

In the case of Flickr, I think they only accept JPEGs but would it be a big deal to accept DNGs, too? Flickr will take files up to 10 Mb if you subscribe at the "Pro" level for, presently, about $25/year. However, time then becomes a factor. If you go out and shoot 500 a day (not hard to do) and then try to upload those from your computer in the hotel room that night, it could take a long time to up-load them all even with a high-speed connection.

Are your raw's always right?

Hell, no! What is "right," anyway??

But I do not, unlike you, have a standardized post process that I subject them to. I will Group similar ones together in Adobe Bridge and make my adjustments, but it is a pretty reactive process.

I was regarding Guy's proposal as one for a virtual transportation for picture files over the internet as an alternative to keeping the files on SD cards or downloading to a laptop hard drive for on-the-road captures.

Got it. Easy transportation.

I'll take credit for having a "standardized" process.

Of course, now that I've just begun to get a handle on C1 processing (windoze, here) and am now preparing to use Cornerfix, I've ordered the CS3 upgrade (my stupid assistant actually put the order in for a Mac version which I'll have to send back! can't do much with that doofus) so I can handle the resulting files.

How come this stuff doesn't get easier? Will all this continuous presence on a learning curve keep us from getting alzheimers?

Guy,

Thanks of the opportunity ! I liked 72,99, 117, 175,190 & 413. I noticed amongst the cars an Audi R8.I ust received the latest Audi magazine & there is a feature on the car.It looks amazing in print.What did you think of it?

Guest guy_mancuso

That car had people drooling on it more than the Maseriti which i thought was strange. i would give up my ....... for that Maseriti. LOL

Okay back to the earlier point about having someone process your files. Well it seems strange but it is being done in NY and in larger markets. Shooters drop off there raws and have someone very qualified to raw process there files. Dugal in NY does this and they do charge a hefty fee. We have to remember many Pro's are just getting started in Digital and they hire digital assistants and labs to do this stuff for them. The demand is high from clients to see this stuff live so this does keeping pushing the film shooters to change to digital. There are many holdouts on film and some of these folks don't want to change , totally understandable they don't want to add 8 more hours of there day behind a monitor and many others don't either. Whoever said digital is less work is just plain nuts in the head, we all spend a major part of our day on computers and it is getting worse , please just ask my wife about this one. She will certainly tell you BIG time about me. So yes there is that market out there and if you can get it done very well and quickly than it is a valid thing to be doing for some folks.

The hard part is like we said pushing massive amounts of data through a bottle neck. The web is crowded and speeds are slow but technology will hopefully change that. Also we are a mobile world and the more we think mobile and global than we will need services to accomadate that. Just look at cell phones does anybody use a phone booth anymore or even you house phone for long distance calls.

Now would it not be nice to be able to just upload your raws and either have them when you get the chance to work them and take up no space on your drives or when your out on the road and have a backup on a server save and sound. Of course you need the infastructure to do that WiFi in more places but that is being done anyway

I like the idea of being able to up-load RAW files to an internet archive as you describe but I am not sure about a service that would process them. My wife says I am a control freak (but she would say that wouldn't she?), so you can expect that I want to control the process beyond shooting the pic rather than leaving post to anonymous others.

In the case of Flickr, I think they only accept JPEGs but would it be a big deal to accept DNGs, too? Flickr will take files up to 10 Mb if you subscribe at the "Pro" level for, presently, about $25/year. However, time then becomes a factor. If you go out and shoot 500 a day (not hard to do) and then try to upload those from your computer in the hotel room that night, it could take a long time to up-load them all even with a high-speed connection.

Philip,

You'll be lucky to find better than about 250 kb/sec ADSL uplink (broadband) in a hotel so each 10 MB DNG file will take about 320 secs to upload. Times that by 500 shots (5 GB) and you're looking at over 44 hours. If you convert them to 16 MB TIF files than you're looking at over 70 hours to upload.

Zzzzzzzzz .... :cool:

Pete.

Guest guy_mancuso

Klaus you must like Leica . that is none other than our famous leader Christian Erhardt, Director of Marketing Photographic Division of Leica AG based in NJ. Great guy and actually I think it is his BD today.#166

i think he has a WATE in his hand

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!