M8 fans : Now i need help

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Mark and well said as you know we all enjoyed each others company and i think that was the best part about it. Now you need to get busy and submit some of those nice Porsche shots you were taken along with many others. BTW hope you enjoyed your vacation with your wife after ours. I am sure the forum would love to see some shots from your Alaska trip

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to be off topic Guy, but....

Is it just me or does this gallery really show that the M8, does NOT like the color red, i do not belive that all this Porsche's (and the other cars...), flowers, etc, etc...are PinkyOrangeRed, and this also confirms my fear/understanding that this is by fact a real problem with the M8, i only hope it's a profile issue....?

But the M8 show's this weakness for red with every raw converter i know (read: have tried..)

I made some profiles for the M8 for ACR 4, which works better but are still far from perfect...

Here's some examples:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/28371-m8-acr-4-1-profile.html

I really hope there's a fix for this, because like it is now, it's every Ferrari photographer's nightmare... :-(

Guest guy_mancuso

Great question . Red is a tough color with any digital and i have had my nightmares with Canon with regards to red usually it is orangy red. The leica's are better but maybe not exactly perfect. Honestly i have yet to see any digital camera give a perfect red , close but for some reason and not sure why it is like that but on these images i did not even WB them and was on AWB the whole time, so probably not the truest colors overall.

But you make a very good point here because RED for some strange reason is a real challenge. BTW these are all done in LR too which does have a slight magenta cast to it in it's calibration

... BTW hope you enjoyed your vacation with your wife after ours...

The Alaska trip was awesome and probably even more dramatic by doing it back to back with the Germany trip. I had less than 12 hours turn-around time between trips - barely enough time for laundry and a nap.

In addition to the M8 kit, I also took my Canon 5D and long glass. It was a huge adjustment using a 5D and 500 f4 IS, but I did get some good photos which would not have been possible otherwise.

Mark Gowin

Guest guy_mancuso

Actually I think it is killing me recording all the numbers . LOL But hey were having fun and hell that is a good thing . I never enter these kinds of things so if I can motivate my tour buddies to send in images also than it's a good thing. I would love to walk in that store and see there images on the wall.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'll give you an even dozen favorites from your original list of 400+:

9, 21, 49, 60, 62, 72, 115, 206, 231, 363, 415, 416

By the way I find the variety of peoples' tastes so far astonishing. It would be very interesting to see a tabulation of votes. Maybe the most useful datum will be which pictures got zero votes....

So i need some help to pick 5 of my best shots that represent German life

Hi Guy,

All the photos are outstanding, I enjoyed viewing them all. However, I'm really keying in on the quote from your original post above. Key words being "Represents German Life" so while the photos are all outstanding I think these 5 best fit that criteria. Just a layman's two cents worth which will probably only net you a penny...... :)

#30 Gentlemen sitting in Cafe: Is he waiting for his friend? Is he mad? Did he just have a tough day? He's got his butts, an ashtray and no drink plus the pink flowers add some softness to a complex person.

#55 Painter on Ladder: He is dressed in all white, Man in black, is he a Priest? Is that a bible he's carrying? Who is this man dressed in all black. Is he good or evil? The painter is high above on ladder, looking down on his friend? Is the Priest looking up at his lord? Really thought inspiring photo with great use of black / white / ladder / subject placement.

#58 Girl carrying Cake: The use of Candle light is fabulous, the girls look is priceless, almost as though waiting for approval that the cake is acceptable and well received by the guest. She's offering and presenting a piece of cake, the guy behind her staring at her looks like he's interested in a different type of piece. A piece of her. Great misdirection

#78 Boy staring into fountain: Fantastic composition, what is he thinking? Did he just make his wish? Is he sitting there waiting for it to come true or is he thinking of sticking his hand in there and stealing some loose change. Great highlight on the young boys face. I think this is my top choice.

#82 Woman walking through cemetary: Again great composition and her white suit and carefree style of carrying her pocket book make this photo flow. I'm thinking where is she going? Is she visiting someone? A loved one? Is she real? A ghost? A spirit? An Angel? the walk into the cemetary just opens up so many possibilities. Again, very thought provocing photo.

Good luck, I hope you win...

Let us all know when it is. I'd like to see it.

JT

Guest guy_mancuso

JT you have a good eye my friend. Certainly picked some of the ones i thought are good also. Your two cents graduated to a nickel. You went after the emotion of there life. In retrospect i really wish i worked this a little harder than i did , if I had known this i would have jumped in a little deeper . i was having more fun watching the others work and looking at there stuff.

Interesting there is a lot of diversity in folks taste in images

Still time to get my choices in?

OK. Since it's about German life, I restricted my selections to people shots. Although I have to add that there's one castle shot that I find irresistable: 64.

The others are 13, 55, 67, 68, 112.

There are some shots I actually liked better as photos, but a theme is a theme ...

Cheers,

Kent.

Guy,

that is a very impressive sequence of fotos focussing on people/ urban life in touristic hotspots north of the alps. It's very good, however not representative for life in Germany. It communicates the "relaxing" site only not the "dynamic", the "cute" not the "trash". Therefore it is beautiful (for advertising purposes) but unbalanced. Glad that you left the cars and the cows off, that would have been an other stereotype image of Germany.

Ok, enjoy the nice memories of your trip. People will like the exhibiton of your fotos.

13 18 26 52 54 58 67 75 82 103

TEN... if you want to pick five, and want to base the choice on a number of people, the right statistical way is to make each of them choice ten (or, better, 16,57432.. say 16 or 17) and then extract the five which have the top number of choices;

(a sort of joke... there is a too small number of people to make this a valid method...)

....Porsche trip ? The best auto pic was of a Maserati...

Guest Motivfindender

Hello Guy,

I had a look at your pictures.

The question is:

WHAT are you planning to show?

Something reproducing the typical tourist view ( Neuschwanstein) or something (really) typical for Germans (their culture, behavior and living-together) ?

As for the last, my first try to choose some pictures for further selection is:

2,5,11,52,53,54,96,111,114,115,118,121,135,137,144,145,148,157,162,175,195,202,203,204,207,218,232,234,235,255,274,276,297,306,308,215,331,338,249,251,252,353,376,383.

My favorits are:

Dirk

Guest guy_mancuso

Part of the problem is i really was not shooting with a purpose in mind more playing tourist myself. Interesting that you mention this Dirk because it brings up a good point .Pro's Usually we are told what needs to be photographed , i am so used to being on assignment with a purpose and when not you just shoot everthing around you. I had no real purpose except maybe to show my kids the images.Now if a client said go shoot the life of the German people on how there daily life is than that would give me a purpose and a reason to shoot differently and look for that type of subject. This is somewhat not good because you forget to shoot for yourself.

Now let's maybe take this a step further for the hobbyist and when they go out to shoot it is shots that pleases them and there not trained to actually shoot for a purpose or assignment and there is no pressure and for them it is normal but if we asked them to go shoot for a purpose than the pressure would be on and they have to think differently.

The roles reverse. Maybe this is something that would be a interesting conversation in another thread titled What's the Purpose to shoot. Hmmm

All are great!

It is very hard to pick five or six that fit the criteria.

It could have easily been many others,too.

Thanks for the chance to help edit!

Let me know when the show is on(I am in NY).

Actually I think it is killing me recording all the numbers .

Does Zenfolio not have a way of recording comments against the images the way Flickr does? Posters could just simply add a comment (perhaps as simple as a "+" sign) in the comments field and save you all the compilation work.

I would love to walk in that store and see there images on the wall.

I will for you and photograph the results and send to you or post here.