Vario Elmar 55-135 out of stock everywhere

sshire

• 2 weeks later...

My trusty Leica official dealer Stephens of Manchester tells me the 11-23mm and 55-135mm zooms have not been in production for some time , due to a manufacturing defect cropping up suddenly during production . This explains the disappearance of stock everywhere. No information on re-starting production, so if you have either lens, hang on to them. Stephens of Manchester also tell me the designers set out to make the TL lenses the highest acuity of all the Leica range in order to make the quality of images of exact comparison  to M camera and lenses, even though starting with the smaller APS-C sensor. I have heard that the TL lenses are made to be twice the power of resolution of the 24 mp APS-C sensor to do this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 12:05 PM, Petercoll said:

My trusty Leica official dealer Stephens of Manchester tells me the 11-23mm and 55-135mm zooms have not been in production for some time , due to a manufacturing defect cropping up suddenly during production . This explains the disappearance of stock everywhere. No information on re-starting production, so if you have either lens, hang on to them. Stephens of Manchester also tell me the designers set out to make the TL lenses the highest acuity of all the Leica range in order to make the quality of images of exact comparison  to M camera and lenses, even though starting with the smaller APS-C sensor. I have heard that the TL lenses are made to be twice the power of resolution of the 24 mp APS-C sensor to do this.

M lenses on TL produces sweeter image but not as spicy as the TL lens. Maybe this is why?

On 10/13/2018 at 8:05 PM, Petercoll said:

Did Stephens mention exactly what defect was discovered and how long it might have been occurring?

And why no official advice / notification from Leica?

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Leica Camera AG should make an official announcement to prevent unsuspecting Leica users buying potentially faulty s/h TL/CL lenses … Any other camera / lens manufacturer would have no hesitation in communicating possible faults.  I am considering buying a TL 55-135mm lens but purchase is now 'on hold' until I am made aware of the anomaly.

dunk 

I would hope that if Leica knew of a faulty batch of products that they would withdraw stock from dealers and distributors, based on serial numbers, and replenish once quality could be guaranteed. I would hope this is in fact what has happened and that Leica are now restocking dealers and distributors with fresh product.

But a press release to that effect would remove uncertainty and reaffirm Leica’s commitment to the highest quality standards.

Edited by Le Chef

If anyone bought one of those "Defective" 55-135 that is being said said had a "major" problem; does Leica do the exchange, or repair (if possible)?... For the price the consumers pay for these "Leica" lenses, I think an exchange would be a fair and normal thing!... But ...

But I would like to know what exactly that problem was or is!

Edited by Louis

You have a guaranty don't you? For now we don't even know whether there was a problem with the lenses, the production process or supply of for instance optical glass. They could even have run out of boxes for all we know. We don't even know if there was a problem, it is all just hearsay and Internet rumour.

On 11/9/2018 at 7:19 PM, Le Chef said:

I would hope that if Leica knew of a faulty batch of products that they would withdraw stock from dealers and distributors, based on serial numbers, and replenish once quality could be guaranteed. I would hope this is in fact what has happened and that Leica are now restocking dealers and distributors with fresh product.

But a press release to that effect would remove uncertainty and reaffirm Leica’s commitment to the highest quality standards.

I don't think there is any uncertainty outside a part of this forum.

I had a conversation with the longest standing Leica dealer in the US and he said that the "QC or manufacturing issues" with the 55-135 is absolutely not true. With that said, every lens and camera from every manufacturer can have issues which crop up from time to time. Leica is not a high volume manufacturer. They take a couple of months off at various times of the year and run into production droughts.

They produced the 55-135 lenses back when the TL was introduced and it probably wasn't as popular as it is today. Enjoy your Leica cameras and lenses and let's not worry about rumors or speculation.

• Like 1

This is the response I got from Leica USA in regard to 55-135 and the rumors of the issues:

"I’m afraid there’s no confirmation of those claims to be found here.  We continue to receive very limited quantities each month but thus far there has been no indication of a design change having been done or planned for the future."