Pink fringe

Jimothy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I took this picture today using my M type 240 with Voigtlander 15mm at, I think, f8.

Can anybody explain the pink on the right hand edge of the frame. Other pictures before and after taken with different lenses are not affected er go i assume that it is the lens rather than the camera.

Any suggestions folks?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have 12mm and 15mm Voigtlander for long, nice used with M8 but since M9 that "italian flag" that can't be corrected easily in PP.

Used on M10, better result but not 100% correct, I "tell" the M in manual that "is 16mm" or "2.8/21mm" for a bit better edge correction.

Heliar 15mm is well know for this flaw in first and second version.

Some correction in version III in M mount.

In Sony Alpha, it's worse : https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/very-first-voigtlander-heliar-15mm-iii-review-on-the-a7r-and-a7ii/

• Like 1

This is a well known issue with wide angle lenses. I don’t know which profile is recommended for your lens to minimize the effect, try different t ones or search here for advice. In any case, the solution is to use Cornerfix, a free utility that you can download.

Edited by Jean-Michel
  • Like 1

I took this picture today using my M type 240 with Voigtlander 15mm at, I think, f8.

Can anybody explain the pink on the right hand edge of the frame. Other pictures before and after taken with different lenses are not affected er go i assume that it is the lens rather than the camera.

Any suggestions folks?

It is simultaneously an effect of certain wide lenses on short-back-focus (mirrorless, RF) digital cameras (i.e. both the lens, combined with a digital color sensor).

Specifically, the angle of the light from wider-angle lenses (<35mm focal length) as it arrives at the sensor. The exact mechanism has never been fully explained (to my knowledge), but one theory is that at a low glancing angle (edge of the picture), light that passes through the color filters of the sensor's Bayer color sensor pattern leaks over to the "wrong" neighboring pixel, producing red or blue response from green-filtered light, and so on.Since there are twice as many green-filtered pixels as red or blue pixels, the net result is an anti-green (magenta) bias.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is the primary reason Leica had to add lens identification (6-bit coding) to their lenses at the time the first digital M (M8) was introduced, and became even more important once the sensor size increased to 24 x 36mm. When the camera knows which Leica lens is mounted, it automatically removes the purple color stain pattern for that specific lens type, in processing the image before wiritng it the SD card. And of course Leica is under no obligation to support 3rd-party lenses.

The ultra-small original 15mm Voigtlander v.1 (at any aperture), designed in the film era, is especially prone to the effect. it's been obvious and well-known since the M9 came out in 2009.

Voigtlander has now redesigned their 15mm f/4.5 now as a version 3 (larger, more like a small SLR lens than a short RF lens), which changes the exit pupil and the projected light angles to avoid this.

• Like 1

Jimothy, I think the fault is from your lens. I suppose you have a CV 15 version I or II. On the M240 you need Version III, the new one released by Cosina Voigtlander just after the M 240 came out. I also have the version II and can't use it but for B&W. I saw that the version III has no purple fringe on the M 240. http://www.voigtlander.it/shop/obiettivi/obiettivi-serie-classic-collection-vm%20/super-wide-heliar-15-mm-f4-5-tipo-3-VM

• Like 1