Q Thumb Grip with Cold Shoe?

lhotse

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I really enjoy the Q and find it an exceptionally versatile tool (assuming one can deal with 28mm) - especially when travelling.

For ergonomics I currently use a thumb grip that slides into the hot shoe - I've used these on my M - and much prefer them to the leica body grip. 

However, it seems that the main providers don't offer a Q thumb grip which also contains a cold shoe - as many of the M grips do. 

This is a pain because I have recently taken to mounting a 28mm optical finder and shooting some street work zone focused - this is especially useful when in very bright sunlight where the EVF can be somewhat difficult to see - and sometimes I just like using an OVF.  

Is anyone aware of a Q thumb grip that also incorporates a cold shoe? If not, does anyone have any ideas if I might get one made up - perhaps via 3D printing - the Q might well be my grail camera if I could easily use a thumb grip and mount my Ricoh GV2 28mm brightline finder at the same time. 

All ideas appreciated :)

Cheers

I’m pretty sure if I was motivated I could adapt this little shoe to a Thumbs Up grip. There’s not much thickness on the Thumbs Up to work with, but there must be a way to solidly connect the shoe to it. Maybe a few threads of 1/4-20 screw would work. Mabe some epoxy in addition to the screw. I’d figure it out if I was wanting what you are looking for. Good luck.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1369426-REG

I’m pretty sure if I was motivated I could adapt this little shoe to a Thumbs Up grip. There’s not much thickness on the Thumbs Up to work with, but there must be a way to solidly connect the shoe to it. Maybe a few threads of 1/4-20 screw would work. Mabe some epoxy in addition to the screw. I’d figure it out if I was wanting what you are looking for. Good luck.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1369426-REG

That could work - ordered - thanks. I'm not sure I have the tools to drill / thread my aluminium thumb grip - but I'm thinking some well placed reinforced epoxy (JB Weld for instance) might do the trick. Fingers crossed .... 

• Like 1

That could work - ordered - thanks. I'm not sure I have the tools to drill / thread my aluminium thumb grip - but I'm thinking some well placed reinforced epoxy (JB Weld for instance) might do the trick. Fingers crossed ....

Find someone with a modest set of taps or go to a hardware store. 1/4-20 taps are readily available. Very common. My guess is you'll need a flat head screw or a internal allen / torx to give enough clearance. Some loctite on the threads would help. Some JB Weld in addition would help. If you get in a real bind, email me. I might just do it for you. Gratis of course.

• Like 1

Find someone with a modest set of taps or go to a hardware store. 1/4-20 taps are readily available. Very common. My guess is you'll need a flat head screw or a internal allen / torx to give enough clearance. Some loctite on the threads would help. Some JB Weld in addition would help. If you get in a real bind, email me. I might just do it for you. Gratis of course.

very kind - i'll let you know how i get on

• 2 weeks later...

How is an external optical viewfinder working for you?  I don't care for the electronic view finder on the Leica Q and I'm trying not to use the LCD screen.  I had an external 21mm viewfinder when I had a Leica M9 with a 21mm Leica lens.  It involved the two-step process of focusing first with the built-in viewfinder and then using the external one to compose the shot.  It was a bit of a bother, but it was necessary since the angle of view for a 21mm lens was way beyond the view of the built-in viewfinder.  I'm wondering if I added an external viewfinder would I use it, given that the EVF and the LCD both will show me the entire shot for composing.  What has your experience and habit been?

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:57 PM, lhotse said:

Hi all,

I really enjoy the Q and find it an exceptionally versatile tool (assuming one can deal with 28mm) - especially when travelling.

For ergonomics I currently use a thumb grip that slides into the hot shoe - I've used these on my M - and much prefer them to the leica body grip. 

However, it seems that the main providers don't offer a Q thumb grip which also contains a cold shoe - as many of the M grips do. 

This is a pain because I have recently taken to mounting a 28mm optical finder and shooting some street work zone focused - this is especially useful when in very bright sunlight where the EVF can be somewhat difficult to see - and sometimes I just like using an OVF.  

Is anyone aware of a Q thumb grip that also incorporates a cold shoe? If not, does anyone have any ideas if I might get one made up - perhaps via 3D printing - the Q might well be my grail camera if I could easily use a thumb grip and mount my Ricoh GV2 28mm brightline finder at the same time. 

All ideas appreciated :)

Cheers

Sept 4; it is now Nov 21: any progress?

for Match Technical here are the models:

https://artedimano.com/Matchtechnical

https://www.matchtechnical.com/store/

some have a cold shoe, perhaps there is one that fits the Q.

There are other makes but none as good as Matchtechnical (my experience).

You can always ask Tim Isaac (MatchTechnical) to produce one specialty.

• 3 weeks later...

I, too, and not in love with the Q's EVF, so find that I am increasingly shooting using the rear LCD and enjoying the experience very much. This goes against years of shooting using optical and electronic view finders. I keep image stabilization turned on full-time, which reduces the impact of camera shake. Never did I consider using an external optical VF, but it is an interesting idea. Which manufacturer do people recommend?