Some initial observations with my move into Leica (262)

_Michael

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a long time Leica film camera junkie. Have many from the IIIa to the M6. Also have a lot of lenses dating back to 1930 and forward. Never thought I could afford a Leica digital M, until earlier this year I inherited some oil money, a fair amount. First thing I bought was a Leica M262. A truly incredible digital M camera. Prior to it best I could do for my many Leica M lenses, digital wise, was the Ricoh GXR-M. A fine camera that does not get it due respect. But it is a crop camera.

Buying the M262 was an eye opener. I have a lot to learn about it but I am impressed! Dynamic range is truly incredible! Simple shots taken in my backyard at near sundown show highlights and shadow, the highlights of which would have been blown out on any othe digital camera I own (Canon SLR and Ricoh) yet the shadows remained visible, not blacked out.

I have no new Leica lenses. All my M, LTM, and Voigtländer lenses date from from 1930 to about 1980, and later for the Voigtländer leneses. Most enjoyable is my Hector 73/1.9 that dates to 1930, a lens I can still use today on a 2017 $5k Leica digital M camera. I am not looking for ultimate sharpness, I am looking for each specific len’s signature... and I can do that at full frame with the M262.

The 1930 vintage LTM 73/1.9 Hector was a very fast lens in its day. But it was uncharted so without a lens shade it is subject to extreme flare, hence a lens shade is a must (had to make one since not able to find an original and when I can they cost more than the lens itself), just do not point it towards bright light sources/sun and it will reveal beautifully soft silky images with a patina early Leica lenses were noted for. Same with my 1930’s vintage 50/2.5 Hector, uncoated.

I am enjoying the Leica M262, just need more time behind the camera. It is a very versatile M camera.

Don

I am a long time Leica film camera junkie. Have many from the IIIa to the M6. Also have a lot of lenses dating back to 1930 and forward. Never thought I could afford a Leica digital M, until earlier this year I inherited some oil money, a fair amount. First thing I bought was a Leica M262. A truly incredible digital M camera. Prior to it best I could do for my many Leica M lenses, digital wise, was the Ricoh GXR-M. A fine camera that does not get it due respect. But it is a crop camera.

Buying the M262 was an eye opener. I have a lot to learn about it but I am impressed! Dynamic range is truly incredible! Simple shots taken in my backyard at near sundown show highlights and shadow, the highlights of which would have been blown out on any othe digital camera I own (Canon SLR and Ricoh) yet the shadows remained visible, not blacked out.

I have no new Leica lenses. All my M, LTM, and Voigtländer lenses date from from 1930 to about 1980, and later for the Voigtländer leneses. Most enjoyable is my Hector 73/1.9 that dates to 1930, a lens I can still use today on a 2017 $5k Leica digital M camera. I am not looking for ultimate sharpness, I am looking for each specific len’s signature... and I can do that at full frame with the M262.

The 1930 vintage LTM 73/1.9 Hector was a very fast lens in its day. But it was uncoated so without a lens shade it is subject to extreme flare, hence a lens shade is a must (had to make one since not able to find an original and when I can they cost more than the lens itself), just do not point it towards bright light sources/sun and it will reveal beautifully soft silky images with a patina early Leica lenses were noted for. Same with my 1930’s vintage 50/2.5 Hector, uncoated.

I am enjoying the Leica M262, just need more time behind the camera. It is a very versatile M camera.

Don

• Like 1

I replaced my M10 with a 262 this week; as I posted earlier I had looked at LR catalogue and preferred many pics with 262, which I'd later replaced (after all the hype and pre-release excitement) with an M10. But I never really liked it: for example, the ISO knob which I thought was a potential weak point; didn't need high ISO; had wasted time with live-view focus when rangefinder so much quicker (no less accurate even with 90mm macro lens). 

Anyway, took identical pics just before parting with M10 and was a bit shocked to see the M10 images were actually more truthful. However, with tweaks to temperature, tint and saturation an exact match is possible. So well satisfied: losing 'favourites' in menu is a shame, as 'set' seems a little bit odd, but all told I will be happier with the 262. Buying new, of course, there's currently a really significant saving.

• Like 1

I would try the Thumbie, they're cheap enough.  They cause the feel, balance and control to emulate the original M, M3, leave the hot shoe free and protect the wheel from being touched inadvertently

Had one on M9 - can't imagine not having one mounted

• Like 1

To each his own. I prefer the improved VF in the M10 (higher magnification, larger opening and better eye relief), better weather sealing, and better form factor (albeit with some battery sacrifice, but never an issue for me). The files are superb as well. But so are files from any recent digital M, with proper profiles, PP, and shooting techniques. I use it solely in RF mode, with LV useful just for focus calibration tests.

Choices are good. Whatever suits.

Jeff

• Like 1

Steven,

Might you have a link to where I can get the “Thumbie?” I did a search and all I came up with is something related to jewelery and some thing to prevent thumb sucking. LOL!

Thanks,

Don

I would try the Thumbie, they're cheap enough.  They cause the feel, balance and control to emulate the original M, M3, leave the hot shoe free and protect the wheel from being touched inadvertently

Had one on M9 - can't imagine not having one mounted

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jeff S,

I have to agree with you on the greater magnification of the M10 viewfinder. The M262 magnification kind of sucks. .58x I believe. I am used to my M6 .75x and it makes a huge difference. The M3 with its .85x is ideal but one cannot squeeze in a 35mm lens without a hot shoe mounts finder. Then again, I mostly shoot wide lenses so the .58x is nice that I can use a 28 with the viewfinder. Still, I would prefer the.75x finder for more precise focusing and deal with the hot shoe mounted finder for composition.

Don

To each his own. I prefer the improved VF in the M10 (higher magnification, larger opening and better eye relief), better weather sealing, and better form factor (albeit with some battery sacrifice, but never an issue for me). The files are superb as well. But so are files from any recent digital M, with proper profiles, PP, and shooting techniques. I use it solely in RF mode, with LV useful just for focus calibration tests.

Choices are good. Whatever suits.

Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff S,

I have to agree with you on the greater magnification of the M10 viewfinder. The M262 magnification kind of sucks. .58x I believe. I am used to my M6 .75x and it makes a huge difference. The M3 with its .85x is ideal but one cannot squeeze in a 35mm lens without a hot shoe mounts finder. Then again, I mostly shoot wide lenses so the .58x is nice that I can use a 28 with the viewfinder. Still, I would prefer the.75x finder for more precise focusing and deal with the hot shoe mounted finder for composition.

Don

No, the M262 VF magnification is .68x versus .73x for the M10.

Jeff

• Like 1

Please pardon me for my lack of knowledge of the newer digital M camera viewfinder magnification, or actually anything about them at all. I have not kept up since I never thought I would own one. But thank you, none the less, for the correction. The M262 magnification is better than I expected. That’s a plus. I love the camera and it’s simplicity compared to my other Canon and Ricoh digital cameras. Please bear with me as I learn my new M262. One thing I know it is more than a bit bigger than my M6, but I can deal with that. It is still a stealthy size for what it does.

Most of all, and I am repeating myself, I love the fact I can use 80 year old Leica lenses on a full frame Leica digital camera. That pleases me to no end. I have been waiting for that day for nearly 20 years! Hope I live long enough to truly enjoy it.

I would like to thank Ken, long since passed, of Idaho Camera,for taking me under his wing and teaching me the important points and nuances of Leica cameras while he worked at Idaho Camera. Guiding me through good deals and not so good deals. It was his job to sell me stuff but he skipped that part and taught me Leica. It was a unique time, lots of WWII vet widows and children who knew not the value of their father’s collections. Ken helped them through that, with the pricing so as to move. They really cared less, they just wanted it gone and get the money. Ken alerted me first when interesting Leica gear was coming. He priced it fairly but always gave me first dibs. Got a lot of great Leica film gear and lenses thanks to him. Ken, you were a great man. God rest you.

Don

No, the M262 VF magnification is .68x versus .73x for the M10.

Jeff

Good memories. For me, Mr. Helller, a Leica dealer now deceased, provides similar fond recollections.

The technical VF details are just that; not a big concern. The important thing is that you enjoy the viewing and shooting experience and make lots of pics.

By the way, your M6 has a .72x mag, not .75x (other options included .58x and .85x). :)

Enjoy!

Jeff

Jeff,

Been away from Leica for too many years and I tend to forget the details. But thank you for the correction on the finder magnifactions.. I once had an M6.85x but stupidly sold it. That would have been in the late 1990’s. Not a lot of them made. The.one Leica M6 I have managed to hang onto is the 748th M6 made, according to serial number. It has special meaning for me since that is my month and year of birth (7/48). I have owned it for over 20 years and had Sherry Krauter of Golden Touch rebuild it for me last year. It is as good as new, and she set it up keeping the old Leitz “red dot” covering the rangefinder adjustment screw access rather thsn the Leica “red dot” made M6 and as I said, the 748th M6 to be made in Wetzlar.

Good memories. For me, Mr. Helller, a Leica dealer now deceased, provides similar fond recollections.

The technical VF details are just that; not a big concern. The important thing is that you enjoy the viewing and shooting experience and make lots of pics.

By the way, your M6 has a .72x mag, not .75x (other options included .58x and .85x). :)

Enjoy!

Jeff