Uncoded Lenses on M-D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve tried an M-D 262 and find the handling wonderful. Plenty of shots on SD card to play with over the weekend to get a better feel. Camera on reserve.

However, my lens collection has only 2 coded lenses - Summicron 50/2 and Summarit 35/2.5. My uncoded lenses include Summilux 50/1.4 and Voigtländer Nokton 35/1.4.

Welcome views on how well the uncoded lenses will perform. Is the coding essential? Any experiences welcomed.

Maybe I'm not good M-D user to follow ;).

I see M-D as film M with sensor, so I use without fear all of my lenses on it (and on other Ms also ).

I own more than non-coded lenses than coded.

In M-D, no way to "tell" which lens is attached, so I don't bother with that anymore.

Sometimes, last year, I wish I could read in EXIF which ( non coded ) lens was used with M-D, but now never wish anymore :D.

The "rendering" of non coded lenses could be seen as RAW² nothing was "touched by the M soft".

Just have fun with your M-D as it is :).

See here for more insights: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/286007-new-m-d-owner/

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

Maybe I'm not good M-D user to follow ;).

I see M-D as film M with sensor, so I use without fear all of my lenses on it (and on other Ms also ).

I own more than non-coded lenses than coded.

In M-D, no way to "tell" which lens is attached, so I don't bother with that anymore.

Sometimes, last year, I wish I could read in EXIF which ( non coded ) lens was used with M-D, but now never wish anymore :D.

The "rendering" of non coded lenses could be seen as RAW² nothing was "touched by the M soft".

Just have fun with your M-D as it is :).

See here for more insights: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/286007-new-m-d-owner/

That’s helpful, thank you. My worry stems from the impression, perhaps false, that digital Ms need the code (or a manual input) to make essential corrections to the RAW material image. From what you say, this doesn’t seem to be the case? Any particularly difficult issues around CA or perspective? Or might that be a bit of sales incentive for 6 bit lenses?

Years ago, Leica Camera opted for coded lenses for M8 when released (2006) to correct some "faults" processed in camera.

Those "faults" are mainly some colored smear (used with UV/IR filter or not in M8) with some wide angle lenses and also correct vignetting.

Plus type of lens show in EXIF when 6 bit coded.

CA and linear distorsion, as I understand, were not corrected in any M digital body.

For more info in what corrections in camera, see post #32 in this thread (FAQ):

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/216580-leica-m8-m82-m9-m9p-mm-mtyp240-faqs-questions-with-answers/page-2

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

If it bothers you, the forum has many posts on hand-coding lenses yourself. I used a black Sharpie marker pen to code my 50mm Summilux so the M-D could recognise it. Took me a couple of attempts and all of five minutes to nail it, but it's been working fine for ages now. I really can't see any difference between coded and non-coded images from the lens – the advantage for me is that the focal length shows in the EXIF data.

• Like 1