Summicron 35 mm 8 elements (early version)

TALA2020

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, i have 2 questions about the value of this lens.

1.Is there any difference in the price for Summicron 35 mm F/2 (8 elements) M mount and LTM?

2.I see the same lens (M mount) with goggles are significantly less expensive than 35mm M mounts without goggles, is there any reason?

Thanks in advance

Edited by TALA2020

The goggled version was made for M3 which lacked 35mm frame lines. This version activates de 50mm viewfinder lines, therefore the goggle is needed for correct framing.

The non-goggled version was made for M2 and brings up the 35mm frame lines.

Other than that, optics are the same AFAIK.

• Like 1

The version without goggles is more valuable because the goggles are large and heavy. And produce a smaller,"de-magnified" view of the world, in order to squeeze 35mm's worth of scenery into the 50mm framelines.

Simply not as pleasant to use.

There is no optical difference between the versions, and many a starving artist or photo student has saved money by putting up with the goggles on M2/4/5/6/etc. cameras over the decades. They function fine - just kludgy to handle.

Note - the goggles can physically be removed (a couple of screws), but that messes up the rangefinder geometry, and the lens focuses inaccurately. Not especially useful unless one counts on small apertures and depth of field to cover the focusing error. Or just guesses how far away the subject is, and sets that guess on the focusing scale.

• Like 2

The version in screw mount is absolutely rare (around 500 made, afaik) so it's definitely for the collectors and the price is set not by usability, but by demand/offer, originality, details etc... (to give you an idea, some Summicron 35 8 elements, made in Wetzlar, black paint, have been auctioned in the range of 45K US$... :o )

Edited by luigi bertolotti

I have the 'goggled' version and the current 35 Summicron. I used the early version for decades  (a 1962 Canadian-made one) on everything from an M3, M4, M6 and M9 and M-P. It made sense, for me, to get the new lens to use only digital M's. But nothing wrong with the early lens - it does give a very different contrast at f/2 compared to f/2.8 and smaller. Because I always wear glasses, the ability to view the 35 for via the 50 mm frame lines worked well for me when using film, less so with the digital M's and much larger prints that I now make.