Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am sure that there are questions and answers for this camera type too. Post them here, T-TL-TL2 owners.

I may have an obvious question. Some system shots I notice are overexposed, whites completely washed out, leaving burnt out blobs in the image, needing a twist of the ev wheel when in aperture priority mode to - . Thurthermore , I have now a Manfrotto supplied 18% grey fabric disc which folds in my pocket. The performance of my Leica T has rocketed in white balance, richness of colours, everything. I am almost wondering if the huge leap in quality is going to dwarf results when/if I upgrade to a TL2 ! Why do people point and shoot when they have afforded such highly priced and very highly capable technical equipment. My experience stems from darkroom knowledge of processing in black and white from age around ten or eleven.

Edited by Petercoll

Question:

I may have an obvious question. Some system shots I notice are overexposed, whites completely washed out, leaving burnt out blobs in the image, needing a twist of the ev wheel when in aperture priority mode to - . Thurthermore , I have now a Manfrotto supplied 18% grey fabric disc which folds in my pocket. The performance of my Leica T has rocketed in white balance, richness of colours, everything. I am almost wondering if the huge leap in quality is going to dwarf results when/if I upgrade to a TL2 ! Why do people point and shoot when they have afforded such highly priced and very highly capable technical equipment. My experience stems from darkroom knowledge of processing in black and white from age around ten or eleven.

Answer:

1. Digital shots should be exposed like slide film, otherwise you risk blowing essential highlights. Pulling up shadows is easy, provided you use DNG
2. White balance is set in raw conversion, provided you shoot raw (again

),so a grey card is not really needed, but it can make life easy.
3. The TL2 sensor is a jump forward compared to the T.

In case that a third party Chinese battery stucks in your TL camera (only slightly comes out) a thin plastic card (like a credit card) can help. Slightly insert its angle in the gap between the battery and the grip and "push" the mechanism manually. 

Hello all- I hope this the right place to ask for help. I have a T with firmware version 1.410. In order to update to latest firmware version , do I need to do this sequentially from v 1.410 or can I just download and install the latest version?

Many thanks for any help!

2 hours ago, gerri_k said:

You can immediately install the latest firmware (1.810 I guess)

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

And skip all in-betweens.

Thank you both!

This thread is quite small, especially in comparison to the same thread for the CL. I wonder why. Is the TL2 without problems, is it less popular? From a distance I find the TL2 much more attractive than the CL. Am I missing something here? Or is the CL mostly for people that do not own some M?

1 hour ago, otto.f said:

This thread is quite small, especially in comparison to the same thread for the CL. I wonder why. Is the TL2 without problems, is it less popular? From a distance I find the TL2 much more attractive than the CL. Am I missing something here? Or is the CL mostly for people that do not own some M?

The T series seems to be much less popular than the CL.  My thoughts: 1. there is NO built in evf, so many have strayed to the CL;  2. the CL has a faster autofocus system; the CL has a very good evf;  4. some are uncomfortable with the T's on screen menu compared to the more classic CL user interface.

For me: I much preferred the built in EVF of the CL, but the T line is beautiful and quite solid, with a sublime shutter button!  Were 'all things equal' I'd prefer to use the T line. I hope Leica will revive it enthusiasm with improvements.

Rob

Posted (edited)

1 The TL2 with the latest Visoflex 020 is still cheaper than a CL, as I understand it. It has the advantage of being moveable. I would use it on tripod with tele-lenses in the upright position.

2 I don’t use autofocus, I would buy a TL2 for my R tele-lenses for birds and wildlife etc.

3 who’s not accustomed to an iPhone-like interface? 

Let alone the design, which is modern Leica thinking in the TL2, and quite common/general/could be a Fuji too, in the CL.

Such a camera would never replace my M’s anyway.

Edited by otto.f

4 hours ago, otto.f said:

1 The TL2 with the latest Visoflex 020 is still cheaper than a CL, as I understand it. It has the advantage of being moveable. I would use it on tripod with tele-lenses in the upright position.

2 I don’t use autofocus, I would buy a TL2 for my R tele-lenses for birds and wildlife etc.

3 who’s not accustomed to an iPhone-like interface? 

Let alone the design, which is modern Leica thinking in the TL2, and quite common/general/could be a Fuji too, in the CL.

Such a camera would never replace my M’s anyway.

For me, the T is a beautiful camera. A work of art. I hope Leica will continue its development.  I do not think there is much difference in pricing between the TL2 w Visoflex versus the CL, though the visoflex is a small nuisance. Frankly, the original Ts are quite the bargain now on the pre owned market.  

I've not heard any "rumors" on where Leica is going with the T line. I'd love them to be committed. Somehow . . . an internal evf (they did it with the CL!) and improved AF!

To install the latest 1.5 firmware on my TL2, the instructions say to turn on the camera and simultaneously press "the video release button".
Where will that button be?
Intuyo be that of fig.11.- Pulsating function, according to the manual, (Pag.4). Is that so?

@gerri_kOKAY. Thank you.
So, so that I can read the downloaded file with the firmware content from the SD card, I have to have both clicks ...?

Lo he logrado siguiendo los pasos al pie de la letra.
Lo dejo aquí para que sirva de referencia:

Procedimiento de actualización de firmware

1. Descargue una versión actualizada del firmware.

2. Copie el archivo de firmware en una tarjeta de memoria SD en su carpeta de nivel superior.

3. Asegúrese de apagar el interruptor de encendido de la cámara.

4. Inserte la batería completamente cargada en el cuerpo. Si la batería no está completamente cargada, la
pantalla del proceso de actualización no aparecerá.

5. Inserte la tarjeta de memoria SD en la cámara.

6. Encienda la cámara mientras presiona simultáneamente el botón de liberación de video.

7. Aparecerá la pantalla de actualización del firmware. Presiona OK.

8. El LEICA TL2 iniciará el proceso de actualización. La actualización del firmware 
tardará unos 90 segundos.

9. Después del proceso de actualización, reinicie la cámara.

Leica Camera AG / Seite 1 von 2
PRECAUCIÓN:
no apague la cámara ni retire la tarjeta de memoria SD, no retire la lente mientras actualiza el firmware de la cámara. ¡HACERLO PUEDE CAUSAR UN DAÑO GRAVE A SU CÁMARA!

Edited by Dopaco

With TL2 you can make this combination or others with M (39) lenses (screw).

If you have tried it:
How do Leica T behave with this combination?..

2 hours ago, Dopaco said:

With TL2 you can make this combination or others with M (39) lenses (screw).

If you have tried it:
How do Leica T behave with this combination?..

That should work OK.  I use a similar setup - albeit a 42mm thread adapter into the M- T adapter -  it does just fine.  As long as you use a genuine Leica M-T adapter,  just about anything will work with an adapter to M.

I have a Bellows with Schneider Xenar 135 f 4.5 lens .  The Leica T is mounted via an M adapter plus a Fotodiox  M42 thread to M adapter.  It all works pretty smooth - Schneider lens is Superb on the crop sensor T.

Edited by RickP