Cron 50 v5 vs Lux 50 asph.

oudjunk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have plan to buy 50mm lens but for 1 lens

i have used 50 cron and 50 lux (both of them are R mount)

and Summilux 50 SL

all of them were sold already

i wanna buy 50 mm lens again (M mount) that use on my Leica SL.

from my experience i like 50 cron more than 50 lux (R mount)

I'm not sure the character of 50 cron v4 and 50 lux (M mount) are the same as Rmount

i want to know is there any one like cron 50 v5 more than lux 50 asph?

and which one that you recommend to me. I always shoot portrait and candid.

I'm just confused and i will buy in second hand market so that i can't try both of them in the same time.

Thanks for your comment 

Chalat.

I haven't used any of the lens you mention however i would like to suggest a little self-help exercise.  You may get other people opinions, some may be spot on and some are just other peoples experiences.

In Leica Wiki, see link below, you can find histories of most equipment including M and R system lenses among others. 

It is common to find lenses designed at the same time and implements on M and R systems to exhibit similar characteristics.  Main reason for this are similar grade of optical glass that was available at the time of design and manufacture, lens surfaces anti-reflective coatings, lens group arrangement. Main difference is that M lenses operated with much shorter distance between mount flange and film/sensor plane - 27.8mm vs 47mm.

Notable examples, in my experience, are M 75mm Summilux and R 80mm Summilux, which despite different focal length have remarkably similar lens construction, and produce very similar results, were designed by the same person at about the same time [FL apart definitely not identical].  

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Main_Page

• Like 2

I have the 1.4/50mm Summilux-SL, a tremendous lens, albeit very large. I think we all anticipate and anxiously await the 50mm Summicron-SL. If it is anything like the 2/90 Summicron-SL it will be spectacular. With regard to M-lenses on the SL, I own, the 50APO, the 50-lux and the 0.95 Noctilux. If I were going to have only one 50mm M-lens to use on the SL it would definitely be the 0.95 Noctilux. Feel and performance is amazing on the SL. Good luck in your exploration.--lt

• Like 2

The only commonly reported issue with the latest 50 M Summicron is a tendency to flare. Likewise, some samples of the 50 M Summilux ASPH have a somewhat tight or sticky focus action. Otherwise both are superb lenses, distinguished practically by the obvious speed difference. I have no reason to consider selling my Summilux after many years, not even after renting the 50 APO Summicron.

Jeff

• Like 1

50 M Lux is a wonderful size for the SL ... and images very well. As with most of the M's the close

focusing distance is a bit long.

This is close to the minimum focus distance.....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But on the SL you can easily add ringes or front lenses. A little cumersome, but doable...

Good point, i recently tried shooting SL with cheap S/H Pentax Close Up No 1 (no idea what strength) added to the front of M lenses, brings minimum focus distance to  approximately 40cm [16"], worked like a charm.  With lens focus ring set at infinity there is no adverse drop in quality. 

Note, Pentax standard filter size is 49mm, so i used step up ring for 46mm lenses, including Summilux M 50mm ASPH.

• Like 1

But on the SL you can easily add ringes or front lenses. A little cumersome, but doable...

I do have the Novoflex ring set for the M and Viso ... even with one ring you are very close more macro than closer but it works well.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And I have no problem with the minimum focusing distance of the M Lux ... just acknowledging that some find it a bit limiting.

Bob

Edited by docmoore

I have the 1.4/50mm Summilux-SL, a tremendous lens, albeit very large. I think we all anticipate and anxiously await the 50mm Summicron-SL. If it is anything like the 2/90 Summicron-SL it will be spectacular. With regard to M-lenses on the SL, I own, the 50APO, the 50-lux and the 0.95 Noctilux. If I were going to have only one 50mm M-lens to use on the SL it would definitely be the 0.95 Noctilux. Feel and performance is amazing on the SL. Good luck in your exploration.--lt

I'm interested the noctilux but the price i can't afford now. in this time I think i will go with Summilux 

thanks for all suggestions :) 

I'm interested the noctilux but the price i can't afford now. in this time I think i will go with Summilux 

thanks for all suggestions :)

The 50-lux would be a great choice. I see it as a "Noctilux-light". It does paint more similarly to the Noctilux than the 50 Cron for sure. You will also enjoy the size of the 50-lux. I have owned it three times, first in chrome then in black and now in black chrome. It is a fantastic lens and a great choice. Enjoy!!!