redkea

Question on M8 and 90mm f/2.8 combination

Long time Leica user and reader of this forum.  First time post though!

Currently I have a M6TTL and a Digilux 2.  Lenses are a 35mm f/2 Summicron ASPH and a 90mm f/2.8 E46 Tele-Elemarit. I am in the process of transitioning to a M8/8.2 depending what is available in the marketplace with a leaning to a dealer purchase with limited warranty as the “safer’ way.  I will retain the 35mm Summicron but am thinking I will have limited use of the 90mm and therefore should onsell this too.

My question is:  what experience do forum members have with the M8/ 90mm combination?  I am assuming that given the 1.33 crop factor and the finder frameline I will have limited use for this combination.

Peter

Welcome to the forum.

Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 "fat" and "thin" lenses are both E39 so you refer to the Elmarit-M 90/2.8 i guess ( http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-M ). I use mine on the M8.2 the same way as a 135mm lens on film Ms more or less. Works fine but the 90mm framelines are rather tiny (pic). To get approximately the same FoV as 90mm on film, i use 75mm lenses on the M8.2.  

Thanks for the response!  Yes, Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8!  Framelines are indeed tiny.  Maybe I should look for a 75mm and retain the FoV I am used to with both the D2 and the 90mm Elmarit-M.  Any preference for a 75mm lenses?

Peter

The choice is wide between new and s/h Leica lenses: Noctilux 75/1.25, Summilux 75/1.4, Summicron 75/2, Summarit 75/2.4 and Summarit 75/2.5.

Better value for money is Summarit 75/2.5 to me.  Can be found new for about 1,200 USD on e**y:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sale-Leica-M-Summarit-M-2-5-75-mm-11645-NEW/372415453424?hash=item56b5b0d8f0:g:M58AAOSwM85bgw55

Edited by lct

Welcome Peter. I agree with the 75mm Summarit and bought the original version for my M8. (Optically identical to the later version). I recommend you keep your 90mm ELMARIT for use with your M6 and later when you upgrade to a later version digital M. It is a fine lens which also works well on a CL.

+1: don't sell your Elmarit-M 90mm!

It's a wonderful lens that sells at too low prices.

Work with what you have first, then when you have gained experience, you can always decide to buy/sell.

The digital and analogue experience will be different, trying with a second set lenses to match the point of view of your M6 is not needed. I know because I went all the way from M6, M8 and now M10.

My favourite lenses on the M8 are 28 and 50mm. I used these two for something like 80% of my pictures.

Thanks all for your advice. I will keep the Elmarit-M after all and become familiar with existing lenses before I branch out!  Will post "first" photos once I have my M8!

Peter

When my wife and I we used M8, we put on full time magnifier Leica x1.25 or x1.4 depend on which lens was on M8.

She liked Apo-Summicron-M 75mm on M8 that remind her Apo-Elmarit-R 100mm fov on her Leica R days.

We used the magnifier x1.25 even with 35mm lens (the VF is "better view without that 24mm frame lines

).

When one 90mm mounted on M8, also mag. x1.4 but this is not the best/confortable solution as the VF lacks contrast and center the eye is a must.

Hi, Peter,

I also recommend that you keep your 90/2.8 Elmarit, it's an excellent lens.  I used the same lens for a long time with my M8 until I managed to drop it into a deep breakwater in Canada while changing lenses.

I replaced it with a 90/2 Apo-Summicron asph, which is challenging to focus wide open owing to the very thin depth of field (less than a Noctilux) but I still achieved a satisfactory hit rate with my M8.

You might consider acquiring a 1.4x or 1.25x viewfinder magnifier, which will makes the frame lines larger and the lens easier to focus.

Pete.

Thanks for the input Pete.    I hope to have a M8 on its way to me soon!  Will keep the 90mm Elmarit-M!  Looking forward to a new challenge after my D2 and M6TTL!

Peter

Thanks for the input Pete.    I hope to have a M8 on its way to me soon!  Will keep the 90mm Elmarit-M!  Looking forward to a new challenge after my D2 and M6TTL!

Peter

I look forward to hearing your early impressions of your M8 when it arrives (and maybe comparing notes, too). Please do keep us posted!