Question on M8 and 90mm f/2.8 combination

redkea

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Long time Leica user and reader of this forum.  First time post though!

Currently I have a M6TTL and a Digilux 2.  Lenses are a 35mm f/2 Summicron ASPH and a 90mm f/2.8 E46 Tele-Elemarit. I am in the process of transitioning to a M8/8.2 depending what is available in the marketplace with a leaning to a dealer purchase with limited warranty as the “safer’ way.  I will retain the 35mm Summicron but am thinking I will have limited use of the 90mm and therefore should onsell this too.

My question is:  what experience do forum members have with the M8/ 90mm combination?  I am assuming that given the 1.33 crop factor and the finder frameline I will have limited use for this combination.

Peter

Welcome to the forum. :) Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 "fat" and "thin" lenses are both E39 so you refer to the Elmarit-M 90/2.8 i guess ( http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-M ). I use mine on the M8.2 the same way as a 135mm lens on film Ms more or less. Works fine but the 90mm framelines are rather tiny (pic). To get approximately the same FoV as 90mm on film, i use 75mm lenses on the M8.2.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Thanks for the response!  Yes, Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8!  Framelines are indeed tiny.  Maybe I should look for a 75mm and retain the FoV I am used to with both the D2 and the 90mm Elmarit-M.  Any preference for a 75mm lenses?

Peter

The choice is wide between new and s/h Leica lenses: Noctilux 75/1.25, Summilux 75/1.4, Summicron 75/2, Summarit 75/2.4 and Summarit 75/2.5.

Better value for money is Summarit 75/2.5 to me.  Can be found new for about 1,200 USD on e**y:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sale-Leica-M-Summarit-M-2-5-75-mm-11645-NEW/372415453424?hash=item56b5b0d8f0:g:M58AAOSwM85bgw55

Edited by lct

Welcome Peter. I agree with the 75mm Summarit and bought the original version for my M8. (Optically identical to the later version). I recommend you keep your 90mm ELMARIT for use with your M6 and later when you upgrade to a later version digital M. It is a fine lens which also works well on a CL.

+1: don't sell your Elmarit-M 90mm!

It's a wonderful lens that sells at too low prices.

Work with what you have first, then when you have gained experience, you can always decide to buy/sell.

The digital and analogue experience will be different, trying with a second set lenses to match the point of view of your M6 is not needed. I know because I went all the way from M6, M8 and now M10.

My favourite lenses on the M8 are 28 and 50mm. I used these two for something like 80% of my pictures.

When my wife and I we used M8, we put on full time magnifier Leica x1.25 or x1.4 depend on which lens was on M8.

She liked Apo-Summicron-M 75mm on M8 that remind her Apo-Elmarit-R 100mm fov on her Leica R days.

We used the magnifier x1.25 even with 35mm lens (the VF is "better view without that 24mm frame lines ;) ).

When one 90mm mounted on M8, also mag. x1.4 but this is not the best/confortable solution as the VF lacks contrast and center the eye is a must.

Hi, Peter,

I also recommend that you keep your 90/2.8 Elmarit, it's an excellent lens.  I used the same lens for a long time with my M8 until I managed to drop it into a deep breakwater in Canada while changing lenses. :(   I replaced it with a 90/2 Apo-Summicron asph, which is challenging to focus wide open owing to the very thin depth of field (less than a Noctilux) but I still achieved a satisfactory hit rate with my M8.

You might consider acquiring a 1.4x or 1.25x viewfinder magnifier, which will makes the frame lines larger and the lens easier to focus.

Pete.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input Pete.    I hope to have a M8 on its way to me soon!  Will keep the 90mm Elmarit-M!  Looking forward to a new challenge after my D2 and M6TTL!

Peter

I look forward to hearing your early impressions of your M8 when it arrives (and maybe comparing notes, too). Please do keep us posted!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...