35mm 1.4 Summilux pre-asph

Letin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok, done! Last ones I promise ahah 

This one is Lux only, no edits. Shot same scene at f1.4 and f2.8. You can see how it sharpens up right away. Last shot is wide open, and it is a perfect demonstration of the beautiful bokeh this lens has.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

You know what guys, I got the reissue of the steel rim, but somehow I did not connect with that lens in the same way as I did with the pre-lux…Can’t really put my finger on it, but the lens never felt as polished as the original steel rim…almost like Leica didn’t really try hard or even wanted to do this remake? Even if you compare the presentation, and attention to detail put into this remake, it’s nothing compared to the previous 3 remakes, in which they went to the detail of creating the plastic boxes, perfect replicas of the hood, ensuring they keep the body as is while making it more useful (e.g. nocti with filter thread), , etc…with the steel rim was like, ok here’s the lens, here’s two hoods that don’t work properly, and just for fun we made it e46 just to make it look larger and less symmetric.

Anyway, long story short, given there’s no stock at all, I just sold it for the same purchase price and got back a Summilux 35 pre-asph with brass infinity lock which is my favorite version of the pre-lux (same serial as the steel rim on a v2 body). Can’t wait to be back on this thread and share pics here.

In what way does your V2 and the re-issue differ in rendering? Would be interesting to hear. 😊

5 minutes ago, mcpallesen said:

In what way does your V2 and the re-issue differ in rendering? Would be interesting to hear. 😊

It’s not so much about the rendering tbh as I think wide open they are quite similar but I’m still happier with the v2 (SR serial) version in general when shooting at f1.4. There’s a certain magic that gets lost with the remake. I also find that from f2.8 the remake is much more contrasty, which is not ideal for me when shooting B&W. But in general, less than rendering is more in use it just does not feel as nice..the e46 size makes it look bloated compared to the tiny jewel like appearance of the original. Kinda like using a film camera VS a M240 in that sense…still a Leica, but something feels off. 

That being said, the remake built quality is amazing, really well built, looks great, it’s tiny, and I’m sure for those who have never used the original, they wouldn’t notice it at all and be really happy with it. 

Edited by shirubadanieru
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2023 at 11:19 AM, JMF said:

35 summilux v2 - Arista 400 - Voigtlander R4A

I thought the ones of the bartender were good, but this one definitely takes the cake!

• Thanks 1

F11 Zone focus | M10M & 216xx Summilux Transitional 

Edited by shirubadanieru
  • Like 4

Wide open | M10M & 216xx Summilux Transitional 

• Like 4

The product number for the lens was 11870 in 1970 as well as 1973. 

I do not really understand your question whether it was good. It was as good or bad than any other 35mm Summilux from the time of the lenses production. Please do not believe that the optics did change, even if there have been people around who pretend to see differences for every batch of this lens - and never show a single example to prove this.

As the Wiki linked above says lenses from the Canadian production of this time may cause a problem for some digital bodies as the lenses rear part collides with the camera's interior so you can't focus it to infinity. This is true for my copy of 3081... from 1980, which is not usable on the M9 but does not have any issues with the M10 (the elevated bayonet flange of the M10 helps). 

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35mm f/1.4, build in the year 1973. 1000 were made

I have a modern 35 (APO) and have been thinking about buying a vintage 35. Which is completely different from my APO.  I have tried stell rim (the new one) and found it interesting.  But only tried it in Leica store.  But I might get the chance for this model (top) in a mint version.  But also have doubts about a reasonable price for it ? I really like the pictures on this page.

I will be using it on digital Leica MD - so thanks for the info.  Then I have to be careful not to damage anything. Maby it don’t fit. 

Edited by Kim Dahl
Extra info

Cakes in the window

M10 with Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 v2

• Like 2

Half car

M10 with Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 v2

• Like 3

MP | 35 ‘Lux Pre-Asph v2 (German) | Portra 800

• Like 9

MP | 35 ‘Lux Pre-Asph v2 (German) | Portra 800

• Like 3

Flare Characteristics

MP | 35 ‘Lux Pre-Asph v2 (Late German) | Portra 800

• Like 9

MP | 35 ‘Lux Pre-Asph v2 (German) | Cinestill 800T

• Like 7

On 2/9/2023 at 10:42 AM, shirubadanieru said:

.... Last shot is wide open, and it is a perfect demonstration of the beautiful bokeh this lens has.

Beauty in in the eye of the beholder. I personally find the bokeh awful, much too busy for my taste