35mm 1.4 Summilux pre-asph

Letin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/10/2019 at 7:07 PM, evikne said:

I have the opportunity to trade my 35 Summicron v.4 for a 35 Summilux v.2 in very good condition. I'm very in doubt, maybe this is a stupid decision, because I am very satisfied with my Summicron. But since I sold my 35 Lux FLE, I have missed the extra f-stop (I'm a bokeh lover after all). I'll lose the 0.7 m near limit and I am not very fan of the "glow". But I have seen in picture examples in this thread that it's possible to "tame" it with the right lighting conditions and some post processing.

I know that nobody else can make this decision. There are pros and cons with both lenses, but it's very tempting to try something new. After a while I'll know if my choice was right or wrong. But if it turns out to be wrong, it's always possible to trade it for another Summicron.

What are your thoughts now on the Lux vs Cron 35?

FYI- some (most) pre-asph v2 will focus closer than 1m; my 1966 v1/v2 transition pre-asph has a MFD right around .75’ish.

I’ve had a similar internal debate about these lenses and decided to just gave up and gave in, picking up representatives of each for my safe keeping (v4 German, v1 8e Cron, and a pre-asph Lux) 😃. The real challenge now is which one to use when I’m out shooting…the v4 is compact, lightweight, and very quick to focus, and in real life usage the haptics of the lens is really hard to match.

Edited by RMF
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, evikne said:

Well, three years have passed since then, and I have settled down with my 35mm Summilux pre-ASPH. This is my only 35mm now, and I love it very much.

What year is your pre-asph? I have the cron kob and wonder if I can be as happy with the lux pre asph —

3 hours ago, CHP said:

What year is your pre-asph? I have the cron kob and wonder if I can be as happy with the lux pre asph —

Mine is from 1979, made in Canada. I've never been so concerned about year and country and such, but a slightly shorter MFD, which some versions seem to have, would certainly have been nice (mine goes to approx. 89 cm, by the way).

Edited by evikne
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, evikne said:

Mine is from 1979, made in Canada. I've never been so concerned about year and country and such, but a slightly shorter MFD, which some versions seem to have, would certainly have been nice (mine goes to approx. 89 cm, by the way).

I'm not concerned with the country but do. consider the year of manufacture, the newer the better, not sure when the last (newest, most recent) coating starts to be applied.

9 minutes ago, CHP said:

I'm not concerned with the country but do. consider the year of manufacture, the newer the better, not sure when the last (newest, most recent) coating starts to be applied.

I would guess with the production change to Germany ones (1989 / 1990 ?) but that’s always been only an assumption.  Also you have just made me wonder ... did production then run concurrently in Canada and Germany for this lens , or move from Canada to Germany. 

Disclaimer: I’m don’t buy into the “[insert Germany or Canada] is better than [insert Germany or Canada], I think they both have their pros and cons for this lens, from what I read.  But we do know this lens very likely went through a change in coating at this point which changed rendering characteristics, if only slightly. 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 5:40 PM, evikne said:

At the cabin

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M10 w/35mm Summilux pre-ASPH v2, f/2.0

I like the rendering, here, but would be curious to see how it would look wide open. Have you taken different shots at different aperture? 

10 minutes ago, CHP said:

I like the rendering, here, but would be curious to see how it would look wide open. Have you taken different shots at different aperture? 

Sorry, I only took this one picture at f/2. I guess that wide open it would become quite a bit more fuzzy, especially at the edges.

But I'm sure many here can show you pictures taken wide open to show what it looks like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, evikne said:

Sorry, I only took this one picture at f/2. I guess that wide open it would become quite a bit more fuzzy, especially at the edges.

But I'm sure many here can show you pictures taken wide open to show what it looks like.

How often do you shoot the lux 35 wide open, and when do you do so knowing the results will be good based on the lighting, etc.

13 minutes ago, CHP said:

How often do you shoot the lux 35 wide open, and when do you do so knowing the results will be good based on the lighting, etc.

In low contrast lighting situations, one can avoid much of the glow when shooting wide open. But it is never very predictable, at least not to me. So I only shoot wide open if I want a very "classic" look, or at least that I am prepared that I might get such a result. 😉

Edited by evikne
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, RMF said:

FYI- some (most) pre-asph v2 will focus closer than 1m; my 1966 v1/v2 transition pre-asph has a MFD right around .75’ish.

I’ve had a similar internal debate about these lenses and decided to just gave up and gave in, picking up representatives of each for my safe keeping (v4 German, v1 8e Cron, and a pre-asph Lux) 😃. The real challenge now is which one to use when I’m out shooting…the v4 is compact, lightweight, and very quick to focus, and in real life usage the haptics of the lens is really hard to match.

Well then I’ll be looking for a v2 pre asph  then… if you decide to sell one of them!

Am 15.12.2022 um 22:40 schrieb CHP:

What are your thoughts now on the Lux vs Cron 35?

It depends what version of the Summilux 35 you speaking of . The late germans have more contrast. I had two of them, and it is true. I had an early v2 which rendered medium contrast. My 1984 is in between, just right.

I used the Summicron 35 v4 (King of Bokeh /late German version) for many years.

(on film) and on digital (M9). What I found, it is not true at all that they render the same from f2 on. The Summicron is more modern and more contrast. Its harsher in rendering. Color rendition is different. Summicron cooler ,Summilux is warmer, with a more gentle contrast. The bokeh is much nicer on the Summilux. the summicron can block shadows easily, while the Summilux does not. 

Its a matter of taste, but in generell, the Summilux have a different fingerprint than the Summicron, this is true for 35 and 50, pre ASPH or ASPH.

We Leica users tend to overthink this though, so take this as a precaution. You might loose the essence of capturing light and moments. For me, I like the Summilux lenses better than the Summicron, so I sold all my Summicrons (35/50). There is one Summicron, that fits with the Summilux, which is Summicron 28.

Other users will tell you exactly the opposite. Enjoy what you have.

• Like 2

Mine is from the late 80's.  The one Leica lens I've owned that is unimpressive, at least on B&W film.  Nice when stopped down but just so soft, not much contrast, when wide open.  Much rather have the Voigtlander Nokton.  A little sharper, more character in my experience.  Each to their own I suppose.  Probably a digital capture changes all of this.  Digital sensors make every lens look decent.  

• Like 2

On 12/17/2022 at 8:30 PM, TheBestSLIsALeicaflex said:

Mine is from the late 80's.  The one Leica lens I've owned that is unimpressive, at least on B&W film.  Nice when stopped down but just so soft, not much contrast, when wide open.  Much rather have the Voigtlander Nokton.  A little sharper, more character in my experience.  Each to their own I suppose.  Probably a digital capture changes all of this.  Digital sensors make every lens look decent.  

Mine is a Canadian one from the 80s and I like it very much, especially on B&W film. I have no experience with the Norkon though but really love this one.

We all have different taste :)

M2, Summilux 35 v2, Delta 3200 (dd-x), scanned negative

I haven't printed this particular image yet but I posted a few scan made from prints earlier on this thread.

Edited by Aryel
  • Like 11

Am 17.12.2022 um 13:30 schrieb TheBestSLIsALeicaflex:

Depends all on condition of the glas. If clean and calibrated, this lens is amazing sharp. It is wonderful on B&W film especially...I had the Nokton as well, S.C VII, and I do not like the contrast. I mainly work with film though...

M10-R, 35 Lux pre-asph V1, f1.4.

• Like 3

Just to show a few Shoots, how sharp my V2 is (its from 1983 not 84 as I thought)

HP5

1. f2 at MFD

2. f2.8

3. f 1.4

4. f2 at MFD

Edited by shinobi2012
  • Like 7

HP5

1. f 5.6

2. f 2

3. f 5.6

4. f 2

5. f 4

6. f 1.4

• Like 8