35mm 1.4 Summilux pre-asph

Letin

@leica-curious “Where should you look if interested in purchasing the titanium 35mm 1.4 Summilux pre-asph? What is a fair price for one in 2022?”

Fotopia (very reputable dealer in HK) has a a number of nice vintage pre-asph, a German Ti, and even a a pricey early v1/v2 transition infinity lock, and an Aspherical https://www.fotopia.com.hk/#!store:3:1  :these prices are probably a pretty good gauge of what they go for at retail. You might see one on FM forums for sale, as well as the FB Leica classifieds.

Edited by RMF

7 hours ago, RMF said:

@leica-curious “Where should you look if interested in purchasing the titanium 35mm 1.4 Summilux pre-asph? What is a fair price for one in 2022?”

Fotopia (very reputable dealer in HK) has a a number of nice vintage pre-asph, a German Ti, and even a a pricey early v1/v2 transition infinity lock, and an Aspherical https://www.fotopia.com.hk/#!store:3:1  :these prices are probably a pretty good gauge of what they go for at retail. You might see one on FM forums for sale, as well as the FB Leica classifieds.

Hi,

I asked Fotopia about their 222 v2 ex M3 goggled 35mm  lens and was told its RF coupling is only accurate from 1m onwards  .

1 hour ago, JMF said:

Hi,

I asked Fotopia about their 222 v2 ex M3 goggled 35mm  lens and was told its RF coupling is only accurate from 1m onwards  .

Fotopia’s prices are way too high though, they definitely charge a premium for no good reason. There are better places to look, In HK, all good friend cameras or MKK offer better prices and their service is outstanding.

Edited by shirubadanieru

1 hour ago, JMF said:

Hi,

The 35mm f1.4 Summilux classic (as I like to call it) only focuses down to 1-meter. I used it on M2, M4, M6. To me it’s the major issue with the lens. After using the lens for 30 years I upgraded to the 35mm Summilux-asph. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, steamboat said:

The 35mm f1.4 Summilux classic (as I like to call it) only focuses down to 1-meter. I used it on M2, M4, M6. To me it’s the major issue with the lens. After using the lens for 30 years I upgraded to the 35mm Summilux-asph. 

Yes indeed but the M3 goggled version can have its RF focus ramp modified to be used without goggles .

I had a steel rim 35 summilux v1 M3 similarly modified   some years ago. 
Nowadays I am using a 1970 ex Cameflex mount cine version of the 35 pre asph v2 adapted to M with 0,70m minimum focussing distance .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by JMF
  • Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Flowers along the Ompompanoosuc river in front of a dam.

CL 35 preasph Summilux

• Like 6

m2, summilux 35 v2, delta 3200 (dd by Malvarrosa), printed on mgfb and scanned

• Like 8

M2, summilux 35 v2, delta 3200

• Like 5

m2, summilux 35 pre-asph v2, delta 3200 

• Like 7

apologies if I already posted this image to this huge thread. Summilux infinity lock version (Canada) on m240:

• Like 5

On 6/18/2022 at 8:02 PM, hdmesa said:

M11 -|- 35 Summilux pre-ASPH v2 (~1983 w/DAG CLA in 2020). I can't get over how small this lens is yet it has incredible handling/haptics. I'm afraid now I will "need" a second copy so I can keep one on the M11 and one on the M4-P. Literally do not want to shoot with anything else now. Leica absolutely needs to re-release this lens.

f/1.4

f/8. Taken from a pano made with horizontal shots with the end result being square. This is a vertical 16:9 crop from that square, and the image dimensions are still 17"x30" at 300dpi. Crazy sharp stopped down in all but the tiniest sliver of the far corners.

f/1.4

Lens is nearly mint but the hood is beat up a bit. Need to buy a replacement off eBay since the new ones still in stock no longer unscrew to accept Series VII filters.

I just bought a 1981 one, Canada. Any rectangular lens hoods compatible?

2 hours ago, musers said:

Ah I see that but I was inquiring about rectangular hoods. 

Sort of - but only for pre-1967 35mm Summiluxes. The OLLUX or 12522. And not perfectly rectangular.

And Ebay asking prices for these are as much as the lens itself ($2500+). ;) Collectorsville.

In theory, the recently discontinued basic plastic rectangular clip-on hood (12524 - below) for the 28 Elmarit ASPH v.1 and the 35 Summicron v.4/ASPH v.1 might fit. I have noticed that my other clip-on hoods for E39 lenses will clip on my v.2 Summilux pre. (But they are round, and vignette, since they are made for 50s and 90s)

And I think the stabilizing/aperture-index tabs on the back edge, that fit into a slot on those lenses and keeps that rectangle aligned with the camera, would have to be trimmed off. Leaving the hood free to rotate (and wrecking its value on the other lenses it is made for, as well).

Someone is making 3D-printed copies of the 12524 - I have no idea how well they would work on a Summilux, though.

And cheap enough that experimental surgery wouldn't end in tragedy. ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324046085158

Edited by adan
  • Like 2

m2, summilux 35 pre-asph (v2), delta 3200 (dd by Malvarrosa). Scanned negative

Edited by Aryel
  • Like 5

On 9/21/2022 at 12:48 PM, adan said:

In theory, the recently discontinued basic plastic rectangular clip-on hood (12524 - below) for the 28 Elmarit ASPH v.1 and the 35 Summicron v.4/ASPH v.1 might fit.

I tried and can confirm that it also fits in practice.  The notches of the hood perfectly hold onto the groove in the lens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2