35mm 1.4 Summilux pre-asph

Letin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

wth MP and Tri-X 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Am 18.6.2022 um 12:14 schrieb LeucadiaLeica:

Guys! Guys! I finally got one! I was looking for a good german v2 and ordered one off KEH sight unseen. Turns out its a 1990s version in crazy good condition. First test shots make the glow and character seem much more tame than earlier versions loving it so far i cant stop looking at it! 

Sounds great. Mine has never been in good condition, I have had it for 40 years (1972 ed.) but images until recently were fine. Quality was going down hill, so I sent it to DAG, got it back and it has been excellent, the cleaning and realignment really lowered the glow at f1.4, still there but much less than before.  

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Sounds great. Mine has never been in good condition, I have had it for 40 years (1972 ed.) but images until recently were fine. Quality was going down hill, so I sent it to DAG, got it back and it has been excellent, the cleaning and realignment really lowered the glow at f1.4, still there but much less than before.  

@tommonego@gmail.com That’s interesting. Do you happen to have any f/1.4 comparisons of before and after the DAG cleaning and realignment?

• Like 1

35:1.4 v2 & Portra, MP 

Britain's hottest day on record.  I posted more from this day here (all on 35:1.4 v2, Portra, MP) :

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 16

Am 25.7.2022 um 14:39 schrieb RMF:

@tommonego@gmail.com That’s interesting. Do you happen to have any f/1.4 comparisons of before and after the DAG cleaning and realignment?

It is a complicated story, that I don't want to get in here. Before sending to DAG the lens had vigneting at f1.4 and infinity was at 20ft. All of this was due to a bad CLA, that I didn't notice because I don't use f1.4 much, just wondered why infinity looked soft at most f stops. It wasn't until I put it on my CL that the infinity problem was obvious. I won't say who did the CLA as they have done a couple other lenses for me that are fine. 

• Like 1

35 summilux pre asph v2 1970 on M10-P

• Like 13

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35 Summilux v2 1967 - Leica M-A 

Portra 800

Edited by JMF
  • Like 9

35 Summilux v2 1981 - M2 - Kodak Vision3 200T Silbersalz35

• Like 12

35 Summilux v2 1970 on M10-P

The corner vignetting is due to the original  front outer cage. It is a cine version built originally in Cameflex CA-1 mount focussing down to 0,60m.

It was recently converted to Leica M with  RF coupling from 0,70m .

Edited by JMF
  • Like 7

35:1.4 v2 at F8 ish , Portra, MP 

• Like 9

Portra 800, M6 TTL, Delhi Spice Market 

• Like 3

35 Summilux v2 pre asph and M8

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

35 Summilux v2 1969 on M10-P

• Like 8

35 Summilux v2 1969 on M10-P

• Like 5

35 Summilux v2 1969 @ f5.6 (on M10-P)

@ f1.4

• Like 4

This thread is making me want to pull the trigger on a late v2 German copy. I tested 1 German copy (not the same as the one I'm eyeing) side by side with a Canada one and I was surprised to see the central sharpness of the German one to be higher than the Canada one. I didn't test sharpness in the corners or stopped down.

I tried to find this info on the web but couldn't find it - does anyone know the weight of the lens with a hood and filter? Also, is focus shift an issue with this lens? 

I plan to use it wide open but would stop it down readily as there's no size penalty disadvantage if I do so. I took a while to find a late-ish German copy (serial number 35xxx onwards, though I'm not sure when they became "sharp" due to tweaks in coatings or whatever they did so i figured just to look out for those at the end of production)..it was almost as if the titanium ones are easier to find...but not as easy on the wallet. I prefer a black lens but I do see the appeal of the titanium version. Whatever is cheaper is the one for me - either way I wish I picked one of these lenses up earlier!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chasdfg said:

This thread is making me want to pull the trigger on a late v2 German copy. I tested 1 German copy (not the same as the one I'm eyeing) side by side with a Canada one and I was surprised to see the central sharpness of the German one to be higher than the Canada one. I didn't test sharpness in the corners or stopped down.

I tried to find this info on the web but couldn't find it - does anyone know the weight of the lens with a hood and filter? Also, is focus shift an issue with this lens? 

I plan to use it wide open but would stop it down readily as there's no size penalty disadvantage if I do so. I took a while to find a late-ish German copy (serial number 35xxx onwards, though I'm not sure when they became "sharp" due to tweaks in coatings or whatever they did so i figured just to look out for those at the end of production)..it was almost as if the titanium ones are easier to find...but not as easy on the wallet. I prefer a black lens but I do see the appeal of the titanium version. Whatever is cheaper is the one for me - either way I wish I picked one of these lenses up earlier!

Just a short answer not to highjack this thread,  I'd say get the lens you tested if it stands out as a well calibrated copy , matching your own camera. 
From my experience having owned twice the titanium copy, it has a slightly more modern rendering probably due to the coatings .

My personal preference goes for  the early canadian ones . 

You will find more infos in this thread:

Edited by JMF
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 Summilux steel rim on M10

• Like 7