Q traded for CL... incoming!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wanted to thank the community for all the great threads on the CL thread.

I just made a deal to trade my Q for CL kit (18mm F2.8) + some cash to me. I will play with the 18 since it came with the kit... but may wind up going to the 23 F2.

For anyone interested here is why, and I gave it a ton of thought. I really do love my Q :)

PROS:

1. Interchangeable lenses.

2. Same mount as SL. I already have several SL lenses.

3. Smaller size.

4. Q is due for an update.

CONS:

1. Crop sensor, which limits DOF.

2. No macro... which I don;t really use anyway. 

Thoughts??

Just wanted to thank the community for all the great threads on the CL thread.

I just made a deal to trade my Q for CL kit (18mm F2.8) + some cash to me. I will play with the 18 since it came with the kit... but may wind up going to the 23 F2.

For anyone interested here is why, and I gave it a ton of thought. I really do love my Q :)

PROS:

1. Interchangeable lenses.

2. Same mount as SL. I already have several SL lenses.

3. Smaller size.

4. Q is due for an update.

CONS:

1. Crop sensor, which limits DOF.

2. No macro... which I don;t really use anyway. 

Thoughts??

No macro? You can adapt any macro lens, use bellows, etc. Have a look at our CL macro thread.

• Like 1

No macro? You can adapt any macro lens, use bellows, etc. Have a look at our CL macro thread.

You're right... just meant like the 28 on the Q.

Jaapv, your love for the CL shined through on many posts, and was one of the reasons I jumped. 

Edited by Donzo98
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I was about to react to the "no macro" statement myself ... since I bought the CL *primarily* for macro and tabletop work. I have a complete complement of macro lenses, bellows, close up lenses, copy stand, micro-focusing rail, etc, all of it targeted for using the CL in this capacity. :D

The CL, for me, is a full system camera to replace the niche uses that are difficult and inconvenient to do with a Leica M, since I sold my SL system. I found I wasn't using the SL enough to warrant keeping that amount of money locked up in a system camera, and that I use the CL quite a lot more, both for those niche uses and for general shooting. It complements my M very nicely, and is similar in size.

The CL's DoF gain with equivalent FoV lenses on the APS-C format is one stop. I don't find this particularly limiting with respect to DoF control, since I only rarely shoot wide open anyway even with the M. The difference is that I use f/2.8 to f/5.6 a bit more than I do with the M, where I tend to use f/4 to f/8.

• Like 1

Yes, I was about to react to the "no macro" statement myself ... since I bought the CL *primarily* for macro and tabletop work. I have a complete complement of macro lenses, bellows, close up lenses, copy stand, micro-focusing rail, etc, all of it targeted for using the CL in this capacity. :D

The CL, for me, is a full system camera to replace the niche uses that are difficult and inconvenient to do with a Leica M, since I sold my SL system. I found I wasn't using the SL enough to warrant keeping that amount of money locked up in a system camera, and that I use the CL quite a lot more, both for those niche uses and for general shooting. It complements my M very nicely, and is similar in size.

The CL's DoF gain with equivalent FoV lenses on the APS-C format is one stop. I don't find this particularly limiting with respect to DoF control, since I only rarely shoot wide open anyway even with the M. The difference is that I use f/2.8 to f/5.6 a bit more than I do with the M, where I tend to use f/4 to f/8.

That's where I will miss my Q... I shot 99% wide open.

For my wide open stuff... I will use my SL and primes.

You're right... just meant like the 28 on the Q.

Jaapv, your love for the CL shined through on many posts, and was one of the reasons I jumped. 

I like that enthusiasm very much too. And it comes from a person that is certainly not biased :-)

It pushed me to propose to my wife to get a CL. . . .

Well, fully wide open nets too little DoF with anything but a very- to ultra-wide lens for me. I shoot wide open with the WATE or my Color-Skopar 28mm quite often, but doing that with a Summilux 35, or other longer, fast lenses doesn't really always isolate the subject properly, it often makes bits of the subject unsharp.

Differences. I've never been a "razor-thin zone of focus" lover.

• Like 2

Subject separation has more to do with the quality of the bokeh than with ultra-thin DOF. I dislike portraits with one eye in focus and fuzzy ears. YMMV.

As do I... but both eyes in focus with fuzzy ears works for me...

Well, Leica sort of brought this on itself/us. Ask any Leica dealer, and they will tell you the Q is intended to be shot wide open as f/1.7 is supposed to be the sharpest setting, and that's the default in automatic mode.