An APS-C kit for landscape photography ?

tommod

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

I just registered on this forum which particularly captivated me. I would like someone to help me answer my question.
I am using full frame cameras but a friend with fewer means needs recommandations on camera and lenses to do landscapes. I am not particularily aware of what is good ion the APS-C side now. I hear the 80D is good. But what about lenses to cover a full frame range from 16mm to 200mm?

Thanks for the help.

Welcome.

Firstly you should be aware that this is a Leica specific forum and if your friend is on a tight budget there are better places to seek advice!

Buying used gear is the best way to maximise a tight budget. Plenty of options in APSC or FF, the original Canon 5D is still a very capable camera especially for landscape photography where high ISO’s aren’t necessary.

I don’t think many people really need lenses from 16-200mm. A good standard zoom or couple of primes will be plenty to be getting on with.

• Like 1

I am using full frame cameras but a friend with fewer means needs recommandations on camera and lenses to do landscapes. .

Look at Olympus or Panasonic MFT cameras, they both share two compatible ranges of superb lenses, some of the primes being both cheap and of high performance. The top end zooms from either Olympus or Panasonic are pretty well as good as other manufacturers prime lenses, and fully weather sealed. Whatever your friend chooses on their more restricted budget don't look at the camera body so much as can they afford the best lenses, the best body in the world will be most let down by a cheap lens than the other way around.

I am using full frame cameras but a friend with fewer means needs recommandations on camera and lenses to do landscapes. I am not particularily aware of what is good ion the APS-C side now.

Fujifilm X series. Some with fixed lens, some interchangeable. Really nice lenses. You can probably find myriad XT-2s very cheap as the XT-3 has now been announced  :rolleyes:

'Landscapes" is a genre not a technical description. ANY camera can be used to take landscapes. If you are looking for a technical solution to a need then the parameters of your requirements need to be defined in terms of what output is required. If the landscapes are just to be posted uncropped on line then literally, virtually any camera is going to deliver pretty reasonable images. If large prints are the aim then the field is narrowed.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I just registered on this forum which particularly captivated me. I would like someone to help me answer my question.

I am using full frame cameras but a friend with fewer means needs recommandations on camera and lenses to do landscapes. I am not particularily aware of what is good ion the APS-C side now. I hear the 80D is good. But what about lenses to cover a full frame range from 16mm to 200mm?

Thanks for the help.

Your 'friend with fewer means' could use any camera to create landscape images but that does not automatically restrict their choices to aps-c.  Since Nikon launched the D850,  there is a healthy global used supply of D800/E and D810 cameras available at bargain prices and the downward used price trend is likely to continue with the launch of the Nikon Z7. 

Aps-c cameras and standard 24mp full frame cameras do not come close to the D800/E or D810 in resolution or dynamic range.  If your specific use is going to be landscape work, then a used Nikon D810 and a couple of prime lenses is going to give you the best bang for your money, assuming the budget can stretch far enough.

For a lighter, less bulky landscape outfit that's particularly suited to travel and probably more than good enough for your friend's intended use, I can certainly recommend the Fujifilm X-T2 for landscape photography

• 3 weeks later...

Your friend could probably buy a pretty cheap used Sony Nex-7 or A6000, they are APS-C and can fit (by adapter) a wide variety of lenses. One possibility in the Leica world might be a Leica M8 with Voigtlander lenses in the 21-35mm range or older used Leica lenses of bygone eras, including screwmount ones. The M8 is an APS-H camera (1.3 crop factor rather than the 1.5x of the APS-C). That said, you will tend to get Leica answers on a Leica forum.

As has been stated before here and elsewhere "You marry your lenses and have affairs with your cameras." With that in mind it might be worthwhile for your friend revisiting previous landscape shots and looking at the EXIF data to see what focal lengths and apertures were used most. This should give them a good sense of which focal length lenses they might want to look for. 

Reverse the conventional thinking and look for the right focal length lenses, affordable new or used, that come from a highly regarded "family/system" of lenses that you can keep and build upon. Then figure out which affordable camera body suits you best in terms of ergonomics and must have features.

Edited by Le Chef

I'm puzzled how one can come close to an MF experience  on APS-C. There will be a considerable difference in resolution, DOF and general look by the sensor size alone. The Foveon may give a bit more acuity by its design and a deeper colour rendering than a Bayer sensor, but that does not equal  a medium format look.