Did something really stupid.....Grateful for any reply/help

kuad82001

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

Had some stubborn dirt on the CCD sensor and very stupidly decided to wipe it with a new microfiber cloth that came with new glasses... now I have a smear. Talked to Camera West ( that is where I bought it from) and they will clean it for $50 but of course I have to ship it to them.

Could I have damaged the sensor by very lightly wiping it? I don't know what I was thinking...I thought how could a cloth made for expensive glasses do any harm...

Grateful for any replies,

Dennis

Edited by kuad82001

The sensor has a cover glass, but the danger is that some grit gets dragged across and scratches the surface. Hopefully that didn’t happen. Once damaged, that means a new sensor, which Leica replaces along with filter array and motherboard. Expensive. Don’t do that again!

But there are loads of tutorials (and threads here by search) on doing your own sensor cleaning. It’s inevitable with digital cameras, so you might as well learn to do it yourself if you don’t want to continually pay for service.

Jeff

• Like 2

The sensor has a cover glass, but the danger is that some grit gets dragged across and scratches the surface. Hopefully that didn’t happen. Once damaged, that means a new sensor, which Leica replaces along with filter array and motherboard. Expensive. Don’t do that again!

But there are loads of tutorials (and threads here by search) on doing your own sensor cleaning. It’s inevitable with digital cameras, so you might as well learn to do it yourself if you don’t want to continually pay for service.

Jeff

I agree that cleaning your own sensor is the best option, but I remember the first time I did mine, it is a nerve wracking experience, a professional cleaning the first time may not be bad.

• Like 1

I agree that cleaning your own sensor is the best option, but I remember the first time I did mine, it is a nerve wracking experience, a professional cleaning the first time may not be bad.

There still has to be a first time. :)

Jeff

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jeff

Replacement of sensor requires motherboard replacement?

Well I had used the rocket blower at least 3 times before wiping the sensor so I hope there was no dirt; except the 3 or 4 spots that would not get blown out.

Some cloths for spectacles have cleaning chemicals in them, great for your reading glasses, not so good for camera lenses or sensors! (I know this because many years ago I used one on a camera lens and it smeared the lens and affected the multi coatings).

A wet clean should resolve the issue, as long as there's no type of coating on the sensor glass that has reacted with the chemicals in the cloth.

• Like 1

Hopefully you have not damaged the sensor.

I find rocket blowers (I've tried 3 or 4 different brands) barely adequate at best. I recently got a Lenspen sensor cleaning kit and that get the job done. I've only used it a couple of times (the sensor seems to attract less dust but that's probably wishful thinking) and it's perfect so far.

• Like 1

Hi there,

Had some stubborn dirt on the CCD sensor and very stupidly decided to wipe it with a new microfiber cloth that came with new glasses... now I have a smear. Talked to Camera West ( that is where I bought it from) and they will clean it for $50 but of course I have to ship it to them.

Could I have damaged the sensor by very lightly wiping it? I don't know what I was thinking...I thought how could a cloth made for expensive glasses do any harm...

Grateful for any replies,

Dennis

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

Will the place that I bought it ( Camera West ) be able to determine if it is scratched after they clean it?

You would see a real scratch on your pictures - some more or less short and straight line, or parallel lines. You can try with the smallest f-stop your lens allows pointing to the sky or another evenly bright coloured plane - but completely disfocussed (small distance for the sky or infinity for a close up). Try several times with different framing. When in spite of serious disfocussing you still see a line or parallel lines clearly defined always at the same place of your pictures, you will have scratch. 

If you do not see anything, or just a "smear" not clerly defined, I wouldn't worry.

Edited by UliWer

Replacement of sensor requires motherboard replacement?

Well, if it really is a scratch which occurred by "cleaning" the sensor, I think it is sufficient that they change the covering glass on top of the sensor, not the whole sensor.

When the  M9 came out new, it happened in some cases that the cover glass cracked from reasons unknown. 

I remember in these casses Leica just put on a new cover glass, not a whole new sensor - or did they?

Well, if it really is a scratch which occurred by "cleaning" the sensor, I think it is sufficient that they change the covering glass on top of the sensor, not the whole sensor.

When the M9 came out new, it happened in some cases that the cover glass cracked from reasons unknown.

I remember in these casses Leica just put on a new cover glass, not a whole new sensor - or did they?

New sensor.... and more.

Jeff

• Like 1