Q as the ideal portrait lens?

No one way is better than the other...  I still love my 85 f/1.8 on FF or APSc 

The Leica Q has become my favorite portrait lens because the victim subject is not wary of the camera or idiot behind it.

I have a "user" profile setup for Portraits -- zoom to 50mm, Av, fast continuous exposures, etc. etc. etc.

Then in post (LR) I have the 50mm crop but can see the entire frame -- Yahoo!  I can recompose the 50mm or revert to 28mm.

No argument on background blur or not -- shoot 1.7 for the first, f/5.6 for the latter.

BTW: if you shoot with care the resulting image at 50mm, while only about 8mp, is beautiful up to 8x10 and sometimes 13x19 has succeeded with a client.

• Like 4

Portraits at 28mm are fun, I’ve taken many portraits with the Q (check the Faces gallery on my site). However they work best with people who have strong faces, shooting pretty girls closeups at 28mm is not very flattering ;-)

Edited by Voxen
  • Like 1

Generally I find backing up just a bit works very well with the Q at "28," even for pretty women - Backing up a bit is crucial.  I've cropped both of these some.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Stuart, I think your second portrait is better from a facial distortion point of view. I find it essential to avoid the temptation to shoot too close to the subject. Very natural models or workmates.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Stuart's first photo had a great run on "Favorite Images".... I think the slight distortion gives her character, and her confidence about being portrayed as such comes through in her eyes.

• Like 1

The 28mm focal length is not traditionally used for portraits, because it is not as flattering as longer FLs, which have the effect of flattening facial features. On the other hand, the distortion can make the image more dynamic. Below are a few that I took with the Q.

• Like 5

One more from the Q

• Like 9

Here are a couple more Q portraits.

Edited by robgo2
  • Like 8