M10 to M10-P (rumored) Upgrade Program

mhicks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"The shutter is simply too loud for a lot of what I want to accomplish in my realm of shooting so I will gladly pay the money for the upgrade instead of realizing a much bigger price difference in selling my now far from mint M10 and buying an obnoxiously priced M10-P."

For all who find the (IMHO quite) shutter of the M10 suddenly so loud the camera is unusable - I can't see why you bought  it in the first place?

• Like 5

All you have to do is think outside your self and imagine some of the deal breaker situations one might get into, especially professionally when silent is ideal and any kind of semi repetitive and mechanical noise is going to draw undo attention.

For a wedding photographer, it would be during the ceremony and for me it will be super sensitive, NDA signing behind closed doors political documentary. ...

I'll add to the above with the quietness required for shooting stills on a film set and shooting in cathedrals and churches where people are praying.

Pete.

• Like 1

I'll add to the above with the quietness required for shooting stills on a film set and shooting in cathedrals and churches where people are praying.

Pete.

I was lucky to be on a *film stage. The still photographer used the very loud Nikon F36 motor drive - in a BLIMP - totally quiet.

* (I was a body double for George Clooney. I'm so grateful for that job that I named my bridge

in the Florida Everglades after him.)

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

"The shutter is simply too loud for a lot of what I want to accomplish in my realm of shooting so I will gladly pay the money for the upgrade instead of realizing a much bigger price difference in selling my now far from mint M10 and buying an obnoxiously priced M10-P."

For all who find the (IMHO quite) shutter of the M10 suddenly so loud the camera is unusable - I can't see why you bought it in the first place?

Because I use Leica as a tool for my work. My M240 was showing banding in half the shots I needed it to work at using ISO 3200+.

The other reason is that it took a good year of working with it in real life terms to see how objectionable the shutter noise would be to those around me. At first I thought it might be ok and in some cases of this particular genre it is, but compared to the 240, the sharper shutter noise has ended up being more of an issue than I was hoping it would be.

So a year later, I am still loving the camera for most of what I use it for but realize the shutter noise is exactly the issue I feared it might be when I first got it.

Hey, at least I gave it a chance, right? It’s still an awesome camera, I just need to make gains in this area any way I can and have been working on that for almost two decades. I think the upgrade might be the way to do this.

• Like 2

I will never quite understand the obsession with having a silent shutter? ...

I can't speak for others but the desire (note: not obsession, which I take as slightly disrespectful because it suggests loss of control) for a quiet shutter is simply a tool for the times when it'll make the difference between getting more shots after the first one or not.

Most of the time, particularly for street shooting, it's not particularly important but there are times when it's crucial.  On the other hand I haven't come across an instant where a loud shutter was important so logic indicates the quieter the better.

Pete.

• Like 2

I like as quiet a shutter as possible. My favorite shots are candids, and if I can get more without folks getting wise, that's better.

And I recently tried the electronic shutter on the CL, for silent shooting, but the banding with 60hz lighting was something I didn't know about until I encountered it. So electronic shutters are not there for me. The new M10P shutter is awesomely quiet.

I will seriously consider the upgrade when it arrives.

Bought an m10 a month ago, was going to buy new, but dealer got a used from leica with 1 year warranty, so i bought it at substantial discount, due to wear above strap lugs. I will consider it when I see actual deal offered by Leica. Only prior M before this was M8, so I am loving this one.

• Like 1

We'll have to see what this 'partial upgrade' entails and what the rate is. I'd personally love to get rid of the dot and get the silent shutter; the touch screen I'd rather not have. The horizon would be great but let's face it, the M240 had this, I see no reason other than artificial limitations on why the M10 doesn't. 

I like as quiet a shutter as possible. My favorite shots are candids, and if I can get more without folks getting wise, that's better.

And I recently tried the electronic shutter on the CL, for silent shooting, but the banding with 60hz lighting was something I didn't know about until I encountered it. So electronic shutters are not there for me. The new M10P shutter is awesomely quiet.

I will seriously consider the upgrade when it arrives.

Sony A9 shutter shows no banding, no Rolling shutter and has no noise and no blackout in the evf. Quite amazing.

• Like 1

I haven't done the maths poperly but would think selling M10 and getting P version – no sending in camera and waiting perhaps months! – would result in a lower than €2000 outlay.r

For an average enthusiast user, perhaps. But I use mine for work so the shutter count will be about ten times that of the average used M10.

Add to that the fact that the black chrome is wearing down on this camera far faster than any M I have owned and I doubt I would get more than $5,000 for mine used.

I’ll have to see what the actual cost of the shutter upgrade is and certainly the timeframe is a consideration but as it stands right now, the upgrade path on my M10 favors not getting an M10P.

• Like 1

Sony A9 shutter shows no banding, no Rolling shutter and has no noise and no blackout in the evf. Quite amazing.

Yeah, so I've heard. Trouble is, I had an A7R once upon a time and hated shooting with it. Loved some of the images, loved the Loxia lenses, but the camera itself was terrible to handle, and I hated the button layout and menus. I've picked up successor cameras and they feel no better to me.

One factor I haven't seen discussed is the opportunity cost of not having your camera for how many weeks or months it will take to do this upgrade.  Some of the components of the rumored upgrade would seem to require significant surgery, and I can imagine that even a small fraction of M10 users opting for the upgrade will create thousands of hours of work for the Wetzlar technicians to complete.  For some professionals (or busy amateurs who place a premium on their hobby time), not having your camera for a couple months (for example) might impose a substantial opportunity cost.

Hmm, I wonder if you'll be forced to get the new top plate with any of the update options. If I do anything, it'll be the silent shutter but I'm happy with the dot (I swapped mine for a black one). I think the big screw looks screwy.

Pete.

Modern microphone and sound editing technology trump shutter noise. Besides which I think we get obsessed with shutter noise while forgetting nine times out of ten it is only the photographer that can hear it. If I'm in the great bucolic outdoors, set the self timer, and take a step or two away from the camera I have to look for the red light to know if my M10 has fired the shutter. And close your eyes and listen if you are in a Cathedral, they are noisy places with coughs, grunts, echoes, and footsteps, not to mention the till ringing in the gift shop. Unless you are banging away like a paparazzo a well timed clearing of the throat masks any shutter sound.  

• Like 2

I'm satisfied with my M-D typ 262 as is and want neither M10 or M10-P at the present time. There would be little point to buying one other than to add complexity back into my M camera, which I've already paid a premium to reduce. :)

• Like 1

Will a new top plate change both the red dot and the engraving? I could say yes to the engraving, but I would kept the red dot.

The red dot is part of the top plate so I assume if you get the engraving you'll also have to get screwed ;-).

Edited by mr_big
  • Like 1