M10 to M10-P (rumored) Upgrade Program

mhicks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Will you be tempted by this?

https://leicarumors.com/2018/08/28/leica-camera-is-rumored-to-offer-m10-to-m10-p-upgrade-program.aspx/

To me, 2-large seems like a lot of money to pay for a level and a quiet shutter (I never use the Live View so the touch screen is of zero interest). I’m just waiting for the 10 Monochrom, which I know is no guarantee.

• Like 1

As an M10 owner, the quiet shutter is what I am interested in. Unfortunately this also is the most expensive thing to upgrade, I'm afraid. So when paying for the shutter upgrade, they may just as well throw in the level gauge and the touch screen for free, basically.

So the 'smaller upgrade package' most likely will include everything but the quiet shutter.

I guess I would happily shell out 2,000 EUR for the full upgrade if it also included a faster wake-up from stand-by. Without that, I'm afraid it'll make more sense to wait for the M11.

I shelled out a similar amount for the M8 upgrade all those years ago for the sapphire glass LCD and quieter shutter and it made quite a difference when shooting in cathedrals etc so it was worthwhile to me then.

I wouldn't shell out for the M10 upgrade because my M10's shutter is already quieter than my M240, M9P, and two M8's.  Perhaps I was fortunate with my M10 but its quiet shutter is one of the things I particularly like about it; it's only just more noticeable than my M3's shutter.

Pete.

• Like 2

I can't help I'm afraid, Pico, because I don't use a case.  It's M10 'au naturale'.

Pete.

Thanks. I'm going to the shop today where I have various thicknesses of aircraft sealed cell insulation.

I might try wrapping it around an M9 to see if it muffles.

I shelled out a similar amount for the M8 upgrade all those years ago for the sapphire glass LCD and quieter shutter and it made quite a difference when shooting in cathedrals etc so it was worthwhile to me then.

I wouldn't shell out for the M10 upgrade because my M10's shutter is already quieter than my M240, M9P, and two M8's.  Perhaps I was fortunate with my M10 but its quiet shutter is one of the things I particularly like about it; it's only just more noticeable than my M3's shutter.

Pete.

Hi Pete

Me too - in every respect (I updated my M8). I like a quiet shutter . . but I want my subjects to be able to hear it when I'm asking for their attention (and not when I'm not) which the M10 does just great. all the rest I'm really not interested in personally (although I acknowledge it to be useful to others).

best

• Like 3

I will never quite understand the obsession with having a silent shutter?

I used to do street photography with a Nikon D4 which had a shutter sound akin to whacking a rather large water melon with a cricket bat!

By comparison my M240 sounds like someone being kissed by a mosquito.

Either way I still get the shot :)

• Like 8

I would get just the quiet shutter upgrade if it's a lot less than $2k.  

It does make a difference to me - I shoot a lot with the Q and the M10 on NYC streets and you would be surprised how quiet the streets can often be where people DO notice me because of the M10 shutter sound where they pretty much never notice me with the Q.  I am still ok using the M10 because it's still relatively quiet, but to me, quieter is better....

• Like 1

I will never quite understand the obsession with having a silent shutter?

All you have to do is think outside your self and imagine some of the deal breaker situations one might get into, especially professionally when silent is ideal and any kind of semi repetitive and mechanical noise is going to draw undo attention.

For a wedding photographer, it would be during the ceremony and for me it will be super sensitive, NDA signing behind closed doors political documentary.

The shutter is simply too loud for a lot of what I want to accomplish in my realm of shooting so I will gladly pay the money for the upgrade instead of realizing a much bigger price difference in selling my now far from mint M10 and buying an obnoxiously priced M10-P.

The wait time however could still be a deal breaker as this camera is an important tool for me. I figure though by the time they make this offer a reality I will have been using my Nikon Z6 and have an idea how much time I can allow the M10 to be away.

Edited by Reciprocity

Yes. Marginally.

I have the insulating foam at home now and will try a wrap and include the bottom and part of the top plate. I

use a decibel meter, being so darned deaf - which has certain advantages, for example my car never makes suspicious

noises, and the radio is quiet even though the rear view mirror shakes with the bass.

Edited by pico