Who is still using their 5D along the M8 ?

Peter L

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Gary had every Canon they made but if i need one than it is smarter for me to rent it than own it. It's been 6 months since i needed a DSLR . Now starting next week i have a challenge. Runway and the M8, I did it in January but also a DMR. This time will be a little tougher.

I have not tried a runway show with the M8, but would be very interested how you make out.

All of my runway's I use a 5D with 24-105 and flassh if needed.

Good luck!

Gary

Gary I. Rothstein, Photography

I sold the 5d as an all-around camera. The M8 comes with me everywhere, all the time, and I don't even notice it, even if I'm using it :-)

I do continue however to use D80's and an occasional D200 in clinical macro environments attached to ophthalmic diagnostic equipment and a host of micro-Nikkors. As most had said, you have to choose the right tool for the job.

Guest tummydoc

I'm aquainted with a number of professional photographers and all of them have expressed interest in seeing and handling my M8, which I gladly permitted, but none of them expressed any interest in buying one. All of them have 5Ds, usually in addition to the 1DS Mark-II and say they are delighted with them. I have a Nikon D200 despite it not being full frame, because I have a spate of manual focus Nikkor lenses, and I won't sell it because after 2 faulty M8s I still don't trust the 3rd one.

I never had one ;) however, I still have and use my 2 D2x for the job I need them for, while bringing the M8 anywhere with me - including these abovementioned jobs - and I use it together with the Nikons. They seem to be getting along pretty well, and as many others said already - is good to have different tools in the bag, each has its own place and purpose :)

different jobs need different tools. at least that is how I work.

for the last two years I have been using my Mamaiya ZD medium format digital camera for fashion, advertising, portraits. my Canon 5D for more reportage, documentary & corporate work.

now that I have had the M8 for three months I am mixing it up and trying to get back to my "reportage-leica-user-roots".

I have used the M8 for fashion, documentary, portraits, reportage, personal, corporate....

I tend to agree with guy that you can use the M8 for just about anything.

well maybe not telephoto sports ;-)

or can you?

guy?

;-)

alexander

OK, I'm going to be the contrarian now - consider yourself warned in advance!

FWIW, the repeated references to pro-level DSLRs as "plastic" is wearing a bit thin. It smacks more than a little of the kind of myopia that almost put Leica out of business not so very long ago. Anyone who has really handled a Canon 1-series (or 5D, or Nikon D2x) knows better.

I agree it's too bad that some of the non-L Canon glass isn't better made from a tactile standpoint. But after we put our personal preferences aside, these cameras still lead the world in being the majority of pros' first choice, by a wide margin. And for real reasons.

More on-topic, I still use my Canons when the job calls for that kind of tool. And at high ISOs, Canon files are in a whole other league than anyone else. Lately though (especially for fine art/personal work,) I'm almost always picking up the M8...

T

my 5D is useful for taking pictures of my M8

Yah, I mainly use my 20D in conjunction with my 90mm TS to do macros of my M8 and other photo gear. I do also find it useful with the 70-300 DO, at least enough to bring it with me on trips. Oh, and that 24mm f1.4 is certainly in a class by itself. :rolleyes:

You can see why I can never ever seem to sell anything :o

Rex

I am using 1Ds MK2 so perhaps also qualified for the question and the answer is "yes". The M and R lines co-existed for the same reason that there are situations when RF has advantage over reflex camera and vice versa. Tilt-shft, makro, fashion and so on... for examples.

I think the more correct answer from my end is that after having M8, I use much less reflex camera for view, landscape work because M8 quality is very good and if needed, stitched image can easily be as good as larger format captures. For me, it has became quite apparent that any landscape work shorter than 35mm has been totally shifted to M8 or digital backs and for available light portraits - also goes to M8. The 135mm type of reflex for me has been more on fashion works, smaller pack shots and makro works and still hard to replace. I do hope eventually Leica R came out a surprising innovation that can seamlessly bridge the M and R (a modern day Visoflex? - in addition to the stand-along R system) can be really tempting. The fact that eventually Leica and Sinar did not get married is for me somewhat disappointed because that can be really exciting for finally a camera company can do just about every format with a fantastic line of fine optics.

OK, I'm going to be the contrarian now - consider yourself warned in advance!

FWIW, the repeated references to pro-level DSLRs as "plastic" is wearing a bit thin. It smacks more than a little of the kind of myopia that almost put Leica out of business not so very long ago. Anyone who has really handled a Canon 1-series (or 5D, or Nikon D2x) knows better.

I handled my ex-5D with an EF 50/1.4 yesterday, for the first time in months (I sold it to a friend), and my first thought was how plasticky it felt. I am not one to bash products needlessly, but the M8 really has a nicer feel than almost anything else out there. The 1D-cameras feel better, but almost all of Canon's lenses somehow feel plasticky, somewhere or other, and the focusing barrels feel awful. Nikons feel a bit better, IMO.

Btw, the tide seems to be turning a bit, and recent Nikon reviews have them with as good, and sometimes even better, high ISO performance. This doesn't include the 5D which has no direct counter-part, nor the 1DIII which is too new, but surprisingly, I have seen the D2Xs beat the 1Ds2 for high ISO performance in two or three tests. Canon's high ISO advantage is not to be taken for granted, nor can it last forever. Canon seems to have slipped a little recently, and Nikon is going full blazes. Their profits (or Gross?) is up 90% this past year!

If I need another DSLR and the R10 isn't ready, I would probably opt for a Nikon this time, D80, D200 or D2Xs, depending.

Mark, probably got as much to do with Nikon releasing a couple of new models. I expect if Canon released a 6D and a 50D their positions would be reversed. But what it does show is that everyone else is surviving on the crumbs from the table. I can't see Sony being in the SLR business for too much longer if they only have 2% of the market.