Trivette

My M8.2 Experience

For many, many years my main cameras were the M2 and M6. Unfortunately, my retirement income did not keep pace with inflation. After the digital revolution, I turned to less expensive fixed lens digital cameras. Then more recently, the X2 and X Vario were so good that they whetted my appetite for more of the film M experience. Finally, a windfall made it possible to buy a "like new" M8.2. The first time I used it was an emotional expreience. Here was a camera which felt like my beloved film rangefinders. Then the splendid images made me firmly hooked on the camera. 

For many, many years my main cameras were the M2 and M6. Unfortunately, my retirement income did not keep pace with inflation. After the digital revolution, I turned to less expensive fixed lens digital cameras. Then more recently, the X2 and X Vario were so good that they whetted my appetite for more of the film M experience. Finally, a windfall made it possible to buy a "like new" M8.2. The first time I used it was an emotional expreience. Here was a camera which felt like my beloved film rangefinders. Then the splendid images made me firmly hooked on the camera. 

I think he will be happy with Leica M8.
I understand your situation perfectly. (I'm retired)
I recently acquired Leica M8, Leica IIIf and IIIg to learn in the forum.
Do your Leica M2 and M6 still have them? ..
a greeting

My goal long ago was to recover my "film experience".  The M8.2 did it too well, as I found myself needing to worry about things that all my other cameras did automatically.  This is my third attempt, and I'm finally getting to enjoy the camera, not worry about how to do things.   I spent hours and hours just on the menu, trying to get it to "fit" me, or maybe vice versa.  

I've got lots of questions to eventually ask in this forum, but first I want to get more familiar with the camera.

I hope you're as happy with yours, as I am with mine!

I'm very comfortable using it, although sometimes I forget that it is a rangefinder and try to set the (nonexistent) focusing mode. 

It is also great for IR photography, since it is very sensitive to IR, and unlike SLRs and mirrorless cameras, the viewfinder is independent of the IR filter. It is no more difficult to shoot IR handheld than normal color or B&W photography.

Edited by Trivette

It is also great for IR photography, since it is very sensitive to IR, and unlike SLRs and mirrorless cameras, the viewfinder is independent of the IR filter. It is no more difficult to shoot IR handheld than normal color or B&W photography.

Very well put, that's one (among many) great attributes of the M8. I have an M240 now, but my M8 lives on for both its black and white presentation and (especially) its IR capabilities.

Am 27.8.2018 um 06:44 schrieb Trivette:

M2 + M6 = M8.2 📷