I rented an M10 this weekend to compare it directly with my Leica Q - Image comparisons inside

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's one example of some side by side images that I shot to truly compare if the images are any different. Really - they're not. At least not enough for me to justify adding an M10 to my collection. I'm going to happily be sticking with my Q! 

Cameras.jpg

Like I said I've got a lot more comparison photos that I can post here if people are interested. Just wanted to show you a quick comparison shot between the M10 and the Q.

• Like 4

was that with the summicron 28 on the M? or did you crop from a 35? 

Of course, too many variables to draw conclusions from a single photo comparison, but the Q looks a bit warmer, while the summicron looks sharper in the center, but the Q summilux looks sharper around the edges, which is to be expected, given all the in-camera correction that goes on.

I wouldn't buy a M10 because of my old eyes, but I gotta say that I've rarely had such a great feeling legally as when I held one.

• Like 1

thanks. I had missed the information. I agree with you: too many variables for a single shot comparison.

• 35mm versus 28mm
  • ISO 1250 versus ISO 800
  • Aperture?
  • Handheld or tripod?

Too many variables to conclude anything if you ask me.

Edited by bags27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had the Q, M10, and SL. They all produce equally good images, just as any other modern camera would. Choose the tool that works for you.

+1

I happened to be in my local Leica store one day, pretty much all alone with 2 employees. I brought my own SD card, and had the run of all the cameras (SL, CL, M10, and my Q). When I got home and pulled up the DNGs in PS, I couldn't honestly say which I preferred.

• Like 3

+1

I happened to be in my local Leica store one day, pretty much all alone with 2 employees. I brought my own SD card, and had the run of all the cameras (SL, CL, M10, and my Q). When I got home and pulled up the DNGs in PS, I couldn't honestly say which I preferred.

I can see this as far as camera bodies are concerned, but let's say we introduce lenses to this conversation. Do you think you would also not prefer the best Leica lenses to alternatives as far as IQ goes? As far as I'm concerned I'm completely sold on the magic of expensive Leica lenses (my Q which has the first high end Leica lens I have owned quickly convinced me of this - it simply blows away my Canon L lenses in IQ, and I did not think those could be much improved on until I got the Q).

• Like 4

I can see this as far as camera bodies are concerned, but let's say we introduce lenses to this conversation. Do you think you would also not prefer the best Leica lenses to alternatives as far as IQ goes? As far as I'm concerned I'm completely sold on the magic of expensive Leica lenses (my Q which has the first high end Leica lens I have owned quickly convinced me of this - it simply blows away my Canon L lenses in IQ, and I did not think those could be much improved on until I got the Q).

Sure. All the cameras I tested had Leica lenses of course. IIRC, the M10 had a Summicron 35;  the CL had the 23 (on the 1/2 sensor), and the SL had the 24-90. But "best Leica lenses" is, I think, a relative term and folks will argue about that and change their own minds as well--which is why there are so many used Leica lenses for sale. 

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1