Dropped my M10...

daviden

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, this is maybe not a subject to discuss, I just need some comfort and sympathy.. :)

I hope that my insurance will take care of this.

Was fixing with my bag in one hand, M10 in the other... All of a sudden, the M10 looses balance and falls to the asphalt from waist height. Had my 50mm Summicron on it.

The sound of the camera hitting the ground, and I feared the worst. I picked it up, didn’t find a scratch on it ...except on the bottom plate. It cracked and probably took the whole hit. Nothing else scratched or broken.

The camera works without any problems at all, and luckily enough - I have a hand grip bottom plate that I can use while I wait for a new regular one.

oFsz2fx.jpg

MoGd4Rs.jpg

I do feel with you!

Went through a similiar experience recently. https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/287125-ouch/

My Cron50 + M7 are still in Wetzlar (the filter, filter thread and hood took all the brunt and have to be replaced, the glass is OK).

I finally decided against DIY filter removal because I also wanted to have the optical elements checked for misalignment.

Btw I would advise you to check rangefinder alignment with a different lens on a focus target against LV focus. Sometimes the prism/mirror can get knocked off spec. They seem to be the most vulnerable part of a digital M body with regard to impacts.

Edited by schattenundlicht

Dropping an M camera is always a horrible experience, but it appears that the way your camera hit the ground was a stroke of luck.  Your M10 would be scarred much worse had it landed on the top plate. 

I'm amazed that the rangefinder was not knocked out of alignment; I have had that happen a couple of times over the years, just from a short drop of the camera bag that my M camera was housed in.  I also had one incident where I tripped and fell due to a huge crack in the sidewalk that was sticking up on one side.  My Domke F4AF with my film MP inside went flying through the air, hitting the concrete 6 - 7 feet from me and tumbling end over end.  I figured my MP and lens was wrecked, but not so.  The rangefinder was even still in alignment.  My right elbow didn't fare nearly as well, taking three months to fully heal.

I suppose it all depends on how it lands...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have found digital Ms pretty hard to break. Glad yours survived save a crack in the baseplate. I crashed on top of it in a fast motorcycle crash once and I think it injured me more than the camera was hurt. I've also dropped my M10 — seems to be fine. RF in alignment, just a dent. 

I dropped mine onto concrete ground in Chongqing last year, luckily I had my half case on and the camera landed with a bottom impact, the leather case had a dent, but the camera seems all fine, later on I found there is a bit focus shift and sent it to Leica, it came back with perfect focus.

Rangefinder can go out with far less than a drop, even the M10 as I have experienced. I echo the others sentiments that getting it checked is the right move.

The last thing you need is to capture an image that you absolutely love to realize that it is blurry when you go to PP.

Unless of course you never stop down below f8 and use a super wide angle 100% of the time. Then you might be ok.

It looks like the cosmetic damage can be repaired with a new bottom plate, so I agree with others here that you got lucky.

When I carry just my camera on a neck strap without a bag, I always put the Leica leather half case with the LCD screen protection flap on for added protection against bumps and scratches.

My camera gear is insured for replacement value, with zero dollar deductible, for theft, accidental damage, and stupidity (i.e leaving on a bus, etc.). The annual insurance premium cost is about 1% of the value of the equipment, but well worth the piece of mind for $50k plus in value, IMHO.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Edited by budjames

I tested the rangefinder for focus (with camera on tripod and photographing a ruler to measure), and it pins the focus perfect and razorsharp. Luckily, I don't have to send it away.

New bottom plate is ordered, my insurance company is covering everything without any questions at all - wonderful.

Luckily, I have the handgrip so I'll be able to use the camera until my new bottom plate arrives (3-4 weeks).

Have been using the camera a lot since I dropped it, all good.

Not the same lens, but a recent photo. :)

CBNnz5l.jpg

• Like 6

Have it checked out by Leica nonetheless. Hidden damage may not be apparent. Not to be alarmist, but it is not unlikely that the sensor has shifted and needs to be adjusted.

That's almost the last thing that I thought might need servicing.  I'm sure there are other such things that Leica checks during their service of which I'm unaware.

Edited by Simon

I've had a bit of bad luck at times. 

Most recently someone tried to grab my phone, the M10 landed on the road on the top plate, dented and scratched, and the rangefinder was completely knocked out. 6 weeks in Germany, £500 for a new top plate and £500 labour costs.  The 28 Summaron was undamaged.

Dropped a M Monochrom in the Pacific. My fault, lost my footing. Insurance covered new for old and I made a £2,000 profit, went on a lens. Some saltwater got into the focus ring and it seized up. Leica fixed that, didn't cost much, included in insurance claim.

Leica won't even consider repairing a water-damaged electronic camera. Having seen what saltwater does, I don't blame them.

Rolled of a Quad bike in the jungle of Bali with a Q round my neck. Cracked some ribs with the camera, it looked a mess but cleaned up and worked perfectly.  It was covered by Passport, so at Leica's suggestion I sent it back, they checked it over, said there was nothing wrong with it. 

NOTE: I had a used M9. It must have been dropped on the base plate at some time, the plate had been replaced but there was a fracture to the body casing. Leica found it when I sent it to them with a lens for recalibration. 

Edited by sls