My Leica M9 seems to have a serious problem

lisardo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Could the sensor corrosion version of the M9 be a collectors item someday?

Good question. We are approaching concept art with that.

I have a peculiar justification for not having my M9 sensors replaced. The idea started when I had one of the screwed-up early Bronicas - a small light leak in a corner showing a distinct crescent. So my M9 photos today have a unique signature of corrosion spots. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :)

Also, regardless of expense I cannot stand the notion of giving up my cameras to Leica for months. I'm too old and pessimistic to abide by such. Can I get a contract that is nullified if I die before the cameras are delivered?

Edited by pico

Extreme sensor corrosion is the most likely scenario. The corrosion does tend to increase and spread over time. (Keep in mind that what corrodes is the molecules-thin coating on the front surface of the cover glass, not the glass itself).

HOWEVER - I would suggest at least trying a sensor cleaning (dry and then wet), just to see if it starts to wash off. It could just be a 2-year collection of sticky vaporized shutter lubricant and dust that has deposited on the glass. Or (less likely but possible) fungus or other biological.

At this point the sensor is wrecked anyway (if corroded) so trying a cleaning won't actually damage anything not already ruined. Nor will it affect the cost of replacement, at this point.

• 3 months later...

Hi all.
Thank you very much for your responses.
I have been away from Spain for a couple of months for work and I have not been able to enter the forum to thank you for your help.
Finally the Leica support service tells me that it is a strange sensor corrosion problem so I have decided to sell the camera on ebay and turn the page.
Thank you very much again for all your answers.

It's been a pleasure.

Kind regards,

• 10 months later...

Condensation is absorbing of water from air. Ziplock with pushed out air is much effective and safer than blanket.

On 12/11/2018 at 4:16 PM, tobey bilek said:

Possibly condensation.  A repair person said it happens to all digital.

When coming in from the cold,  I wrap it in a blanket or towel for 8 hours min.   Store in bag with descant.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/1/2018 at 7:05 AM, adan said:

Extreme sensor corrosion is the most likely scenario. The corrosion does tend to increase and spread over time. (Keep in mind that what corrodes is the molecules-thin coating on the front surface of the cover glass, not the glass itself).

HOWEVER - I would suggest at least trying a sensor cleaning (dry and then wet), just to see if it starts to wash off. It could just be a 2-year collection of sticky vaporized shutter lubricant and dust that has deposited on the glass. Or (less likely but possible) fungus or other biological.

At this point the sensor is wrecked anyway (if corroded) so trying a cleaning won't actually damage anything not already ruined. Nor will it affect the cost of replacement, at this point.

As I understand it the coating was intended to protect the sensitive glass from corrosion. Microporousities were the starting points for glass corrosion. 
Another solution might be a cover glass replacement by Kolari. 

• 8 months later...
On 26/08/2018 at 06:35, lisardo said:
Olá a todos:

Sou um entusiasta da fotografia da Leica da Espanha, o inglês não é minha língua materna, mas farei o meu melhor.

Acho que é o meu primeiro post aqui desde que me registrei anos atrás, e confesso que não é um assunto agradável.

Eu possuo uma Leica M9 fantástica, mas, por motivos de trabalho, não a uso há alguns anos.

O ponto é que hoje eu o carreguei e usei pela primeira vez em um longo período. E acho que as fotos têm um moiré muito estranho.

É um problema no sensor? Foi tirada com o summilux de 50mm, eu também anexei dados exif.

O que você vê é um zoom de 100% da imagem.

Muito obrigado pela ajuda, estou com um pouco de medo.

Atenciosamente,

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Dear Lisardo, what you are going through with your M9 many customers have gone through. The M9 sensor has a chronic problem, I replaced the original sensor with one of the second generation which is gone too. The technical assistance of leica says that the problem is already solved in the third generation of the sensor, which I have serious doubts because they told me the same thing about the second generation. From the customer's point of view, leica should replace all corroded sensors in the warranty, but this is not what is happening.

2 hours ago, capelini61 said:

Dear Lisardo, what you are going through with your M9 many customers have gone through. The M9 sensor has a chronic problem, I replaced the original sensor with one of the second generation which is gone too. The technical assistance of leica says that the problem is already solved in the third generation of the sensor, which I have serious doubts because they told me the same thing about the second generation. From the customer's point of view, leica should replace all corroded sensors in the warranty, but this is not what is happening.

Again you’re responding to a 2 year old post.  And worse, your information is crap. There hasn’t been a single reported failure on this forum (or elsewhere AFAIK) since the new fix, which happened once.

Jeff

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Again you’re responding to a 2 year old post.  And worse, your information is crap. There hasn’t been a single reported failure on this forum (or elsewhere AFAIK) since the new fix, which happened once.

Jeff

There is also not a third generation sensor. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

I wonder how often this guy is going to post the same incorrect info...  ☹️

Right up to the point when he gets really up the nose of one of the mods.

I wonder if Leica can prosecute Capelini for libel?

Philip.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, capelini61 said:

Dear Lisardo, I replaced the original sensor with one of the second generation which is gone too. The technical assistance of leica says that the problem is already solved in the third generation of the sensor, which I have serious doubts because they told me the same thing about the second generation...

Dear Lisardo (assuming you are still an avid reader of this thread 18-months after you last posted in it);

Capelini replaced the original sensor with another first-generation sensor which also failed. He has never had a second generation sensor in his camera. I quote him from one of his many dozens of similarly misinformed tantrums posts;

"I acquired M9 right after its launch. After 4 years the sensor showed corrosion, so I sent it to the USA to change it (I live in Brazil), I paid for the shipping and the sensor was replaced under warranty. After 4 years of placing a sensor of a  new generation  but the  corrosion  came back..."

According to this information and timescale (and as recorded by ianman elsewhere) Capelini bought his M9 in 2009. Four years later the sensor needed to be replaced. In 2013 this would have been with another 1st. Gen. sensor which also corroded. The 2nd. Gen. sensor was not available until late summer 2015 - two years after Capelini had his sensor swapped.

Leica would not have said "...the problem is already solved in the third generation of the sensor..." because there is no third generation sensor; the corrosion issue having been resolved by the 2nd. Gen sensor.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

13 hours ago, ianman said:

There is also not a third generation sensor. :)

That’s why I wrote that the new fix “happened once”. In case it wasn’t clear, I was referring to Leica’s ‘permanent’ solution.  

Jeff

4 hours ago, pippy said:

Caro Lisardo (supondo que você ainda seja um ávido leitor deste tópico 18 meses após a última publicação nele);

Capelini substituiu o sensor original por outro sensor de primeira geração que também falhou. Ele nunca teve um sensor de segunda geração em sua câmera. Cito-o de uma de suas muitas dezenas de postagens de birras igualmente desinformadas ;

"Adquiri a M9 logo após o seu lançamento. Após 4 anos o sensor mostrou corrosão, então enviei para os EUA para trocá-lo (moro no Brasil), paguei pelo frete e o sensor foi substituído na garantia. Após 4 anos de colocar um sensor de uma nova geração, mas a corrosão voltou ... "

De acordo com essas informações e prazos (e como registrado pela ianman em outros lugares), Capelini comprou o M9 em 2009. Quatro anos depois, o sensor precisou ser substituído. Em 2013, isso teria sido com outro 1º. Gen. sensor que também corroeu. O segundo. O sensor de geração não estava disponível até o final do verão de 2015 - dois anos após Capelini trocar seu sensor.

Leica não teria dito "... o problema já está resolvido na terceira geração do sensor ..." porque não há sensor de terceira geração; a questão da corrosão foi resolvida no dia 2. Sensor gen.

Philip.

sorry, you're totally correct. Exactly why I got in touch with technical assistance. let's see, as a sensor was placed in my camera that could still corrode my problem has not been solved yet. The replaced sensor showed corrosion. I may be wrong but I think it is the consumer's right to exchange a part that has a defect in the origin, that´s all.

13 minutes ago, capelini61 said:

sorry, you're totally correct. Exactly why I got in touch with technical assistance. let's see, as a sensor was placed in my camera that could still corrode my problem has not been solved yet. The replaced sensor showed corrosion. I may be wrong but I think it is the consumer's right to exchange a part that has a defect in the origin, that´s all.

First sensible post you’ve written. There were free sensor replacements for corroded sensors until 2018, then the following program was instituted...

https://en.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/Global/2018/CCD-sensors-of-the-Leica-M9-M9-P-M-Monochrom-and-M-E-camera-models

Then there was a new upgrade program in 2020...

https://leicarumors.com/2020/01/21/leica-us-updated-again-their-ccd-corrosion-upgrade-program.aspx/

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

1 hour ago, capelini61 said:

sorry, you're totally correct.

Will you now please go into every thread in which you have posted lies incorrect posts and admit that you were wholly wrong in your accusations?

Thank you.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1