My Leica M9 seems to have a serious problem

lisardo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone:

I'm  a Leica photography enthusiast from Spain, English is not my mother language, but I'll do my best.

I think it's my first post here since I registered years ago, and I confess that it is not for a pleasant subject.

I own a fantastic Leica M9 but for work reasons I have not used it for a couple of years.

The point is that today I have charged it and used it for the first time in a long period. And I find that the photos have a very strange moire.

Is it a sensor problem? It was taken with the 50mm summilux, I have also attached exif data.

What you see is a zoom of 100% of the image.

Many thanks for the help, I'm a little scared.

Kind regards,

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I suppose the underlying worry is 'is this a deteriorated sensor?'  I have had a camera with a degraded sensor but it didn't look like this. I don't have an answer I'm afraid, but my first step would be to try with another lens (though I doubt it's the lens) then take a series of shots from f16 down to f1.4 (or whatever is your widest available aperture. That would enable you to establish 'does the moire change with aperture?' I'd try inverting the camera and blowing on the light sensitive surface with a giotto blower. Otherwise, I wish I could help more - it's a horrible sensation when something goes wrong with an M9

Edited by antigallican
  • Like 1

Hi, thanks for your fast reply.

I was looking right now in the FAQS if there were images similar to mine, I have not found anything.
I have taken another picture, this time with the 21mm Summilux, same ISO settings f / 3,4.

This is the raw file.

And here you can see again a 100% crop.

L1008664-2.jpg

I think it could well be corrosion, but then all over the whole sensor. Corrosion starts with these figures like worms. But since you didn’t use it, you haven’t seen it in a long time and the corrosion has gone over the whole sensor. But still, it’s a little strange that there seems to be no spot on the sensor where the pattern is not present.

I’m curious whether it gets worse if you shoot at f16

Edited by otto.f

This is a long shot, it could be a battery issue, the M9 is finicky with batteries, generics are horrible Make sure to use a Leica battery, recharge it and wait for 100%. Also, reset the camera, and reformat the card. A uniform pattern is unusual for sensor corrosion from what's been reported.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You'll have to send the files to Leica for evaluation. I agree that the problem is most likely the sensor, possibly extreme corrosion. There is a chance that it is fungus, or even evenly distributed dirt. Have you checked the sensor?

An unlikely possibility is a DNG conversion problem. As a very long shot you could use another raw converter.

Edit: Scratch the last option; I just opened it in Luminar - exactly the same.

Hi thanks a lot for your help!!!

Yesterday when I looked at the sensor, at first, I seemed to be ok.
Now, after reading your messages, I have looked at it again. And I think that's what you were saying, extreme corrosion. What is your opinion?

sensor.JPG

Lisardo,

I also do not know what it is, but I would try wet cleaning the sensor; you have nothing to loose!  You did not tell us how your camera was stored, nor how much it was used before going into storage.  It might even possibly be out gassing of the lubricants.

Good luck

(Tu ingles es muy mejor che mi espaňol!)

Guy

Hi thanks a lot for your help!!!

Yesterday when I looked at the sensor, at first, I seemed to be ok.

Now, after reading your messages, I have looked at it again. And I think that's what you were saying, extreme corrosion. What is your opinion?

sensor.JPG

Is that a picture of your sensor?

If so, it looks like there is something growing on it (towards the bottom).

• Like 1

Most likely answer: sensor corrosion. I’ve never seen any so extreme but then again the camera has lain dormant for two years. That should be plenty of time for the corrosion to spread and engulf the entire sensor.

Second most likely answer: fungus for the same reason stated above. I’d just send it to Leica for a check up and CLA and see what they say.

That condition is so bad it is almost good! It is amazingly well distributed.
Before you send it away, shoot a lot of scenics and file under Impressionism.
I'll bet Leica saves that sensor for a study.

Best of luck!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by pico
  • Like 5

Could the sensor corrosion version of the M9 be a collectors item someday? 

My S2 now has slight corrosion, it isn't anything close to the examples from the OP.  It also has been unused for a couple years in a rather cool 65-78 degrees camera bag. Price of sensor replacement is about equal to what I could sell the camera, $3000-$4000.   Maybe Pico would be interested:-) 

My M9 developed the sensor corrosion syndrome (in fact, it was diagnosed by Leica themselves when I brought it for cleaning ---in fact, the corrosion was just barely starting). I would say the pattern looked the same, but it was of course only affecting very specific parts of the picture. I find it surprising that this phenomenon would spread over the whole sensor while still being so well distributed and regular.

Is there a Leica store not far from you ? If so, you should definitely go and have them clean the sensor, and say what they think about it.

If not, doing a wet cleaning by yourself seems the next best option.