Focal length question: 40mm vs 35 & 50

thedwp

40mm the all rounder focal length.

After many years of carrying Leica 28,35 and 50mm lenses, I’m trying to standardize on it across all my cameras.( 28 APS-C , 40 on 135 and 80 on 6x6 ).

The Voigtlander 40/1.2 is sharp with smooth out of focus transitions.

Downside is it is a bit prone to sudden flare.

The 40/1.4 is still a good option if you want small.

I don’t worry about the rangefinder 50 frame lines coming up it’s easy to estimate the extra coverage.

Don’t have the other lenses on your list.

• Like 2

I use 35 and 50 almost equally.  I think it depends on the phases of the moon or the alignment of the stars as to which is my favorite.  If I get lazy and want to just travel with one lens, it is usually the 50.  If I take a two lens kit (which gives lots and lots more flexibility), it is the 35 and 90.  I think I owned a 40 back in the 1970's when I acquired my first Leica-a CL.  And it is interesting that the two lenses the CL was set up for are the 40 and 90.

Now the only two focal lengths in which I have more then one lens are both 35 and 50.  In 35, I own the 35f2.8 Zeiss C Biogon and the 35f1.2 Nokton.  In 50 I own the latest version of the 50 Summicron and the 50f1.1 Nokton.  I honestly don't use the fast lenses as much as I expected and may sale them.  I have owned the 50f1.5 Nokton and it is a great lens.  

If I had to pick one of the focal lengths that you have listed, I would go for the 35 as it is perhaps my favorite by just a slim margin.  However, they are all close enough that you won't go wrong with any of them.  All you have to do is step a little forward or a little back.  Each is fairly fast but you know if you need the f1.2.  But the 50 Nokton really is an amazing lens for the price as it is often compared to the previous generation 50 Summilux.  But I have heard good things about each of the lenses you listed so no help there.

Again, for me it would be the 35 but all three focal lengths are pretty close.  And lots of praise for the 35f1.7 on line.

Edited by ktmrider2
  • Like 1

I'm in the process of considering ONE of three lenses, all Voightlander (This is more about focal length vs the brand)

- 35mm/1.7 Ultron

- 50mm/1.5 Nokton

- 40mm/1.2 Nokton

If you had to choose only one of these which would it be?

What camera?

Do you already have any other lenses compatible with your M10?

What do you most often shoot? People, portraits, landscape, brick walls (just kidding on that last one)?

If you are planning to have but one lens for this camera, the 40mm would be a reasonable choice.

If you plan to expand your kit give some consideration to future probable focal lengths. If you expect to eventually acquire a 28mm, then a 50mm now would be a reasonable selection.

• Like 2

I in my view the quality of the lenses (irrespective of price or brand) takes precedence. The Voigtländers are good, in some cases outstanding, buy you should not limit your choice to one brand. 

I would say, for a 50 mm go for a pre-owned Summilux asph, for a 35 consider a Zeiss 1.4. 40 mm- the Summicron 40 is a cheap alternative and a great performer, arguably the best money/quality ratio in Leicaland, but IMO 40 mm focal length is neither fowl nor fish.

• Like 1

Over the years, I have used 35mm, 40mm, 45mm, 50mm, and 55mm lenses. My personal favorite focal length is the 35mm.

For my M6 or M10, of the lenses you listed, the 35mm/1.7 Ultron would be my first choice. Even though 50 mm is not my favorite focal length, I would select the 50mm/1.5 Nokton as my second choice only because my cameras have the frame line to support it. The 40mm/1.2 Nokton would be my third choice.

• Like 2

Do you already have any other lenses compatible with your M10?

What do you most often shoot? People, portraits, landscape, brick walls (just kidding on that last one)?

If you are planning to have but one lens for this camera, the 40mm would be a reasonable choice.

If you plan to expand your kit give some consideration to future probable focal lengths. If you expect to eventually acquire a 28mm, then a 50mm now would be a reasonable selection.

Just switched back to Leica so this will be the first lens purchase. 

I mostly shoot street and landscapes...been thinking about getting into the brick wall genre, but I want to keep my goals and expectations somewhat in reach :)

• Like 3

No 40mm lenses on current Ms for me. Neither 50mm nor 35mm framelines do it for me but it is a matter of tastes i guess. No problem in EVF mode of course.

Same with me!

I tried it with my f1.4 40mm Nokton (which I use with my CLE), but the frames didn't convince me to buy the new f1.2 version.

So I decided to keep my 35mm Ultron and will have a look at the new Nokton f1.2 50mm (as soon as available), which should have a similar characteristic and look as the 40mm version.

I own a CV 35mm and a Cron 50mm but have often toys with the idea of a 40mm because I tend to find the former too wide and the latter too narrow. I’ve thought for a while now that 40 seems to be the Goldilocks of normalish lenses. I ended up buying the new Canon pancake 40mm for my 6D and have been pretty impressed. It seems neither too wide nor too narrow either. Of course, the 50 can serve as a portrait lens in a pinch, even if not ideally suited to this purpose. I don’t think the 40 can do this.

Either way, I’d give the 40 a shot. See if you can pick one up on eBay that has already been modified to use the 35mm framelines.

Btw, here’s a link to a great article in the LL on the 40mm focal length. https://luminous-landscape.com/why-40mm/

Edited by AceVentura1986
  • Like 1

I'd have no reservations about the VC 40/f1.2, its resolution seems as fine as my 50 Summilux ASPH (Summilux pic here, VC below). The first one I had made a slight noise when focusing and my London dealer unhesitatingly replaced it. Optically they were both identical, and nice to use with their focusing ring and general weight on the M10. If you are fussy about image content you can use live view. I coded mine as 35 Summilux (of course the VC brings up 50mm frame lines).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by microview
  • Like 1

And here is VC of same subject

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I have the 40mm Nokton MC and found the 50mm frameline that it brought up annoying so I converted the lens to bring up the 35mm frame instead. I think it is much easier to estimate the composition just inside the frame line rather than have the line overlap the image. That said I do like the 40mm view, yet it wouldn't be my first, second, third, fourth or fifth choice for starting again with Leica.

I think you need a datum point before going for intermediary focal lengths. And also one day you'll want a 50mm and a 35mm and these are far enough apart to make a big difference in view, and then worry the 40mm is too close to either and makes a smaller difference in view. As the datum point I'd go with a 35mm lens (maybe if on a budget the 35mm Nokton f/1.4) knowing then the next lens will be a 50mm, then a 28mm, and so on, leapfrogging between longer and wider. 

• Like 2