Schneider lens with Nikon F mount to R body?

quixotic

Not possible because the Nikon F flange distance is less than the Leica R flange distance … all explained in Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

… Nikon F flange distance is 46.5mm; Leica R flange distance is 47mm; theoretical adapter to maintain infinity focus is thus 46.5mm minus 47mm = minus 0.5mm … which is impossible 

OTOH if you had a Hasselblad V series, Mamiya 645 or Pentax 67 medium format lens which all have relatively long flange distances i.e. in excess of 47mm, you'd be in luck because Leica R adapters are available. 

If you have a Leica R bellows it would be possible to adapt a Schneider enlarging lens to same and focus the lens using the bellows' rack and pinion … and which might be suitable for portraiture using Schneider 80mm or 75mm enlarging lenses … but sorting or making the adapter could be difficult. 

Which Schneider lens in non-R mount did you have in mind and for what specific type of imaging? 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Just one minor caveat to what Dunk says. Historically at least one Schneider lens was available with both Nikon and Leica mounts, but as Dunk implies, it's necessary to replace the whole mount itself.The best known example is the Leica R 28/2.8 PC Super Angulon, which was actually produced by Schneider for Leica. It was also available under the Schneider badge for Nikon, and I have seen examples on the second-hand market with Nikon and Leica mounts both bundled in. There was obviously enough scope in the design of the lens and the two mounts to accommodate the odd half millimetre. I understand that it was relatively straightforward to swap the mounts, as there was no automatic diaphragm and stop-down mechanism actually coupled through the mount.

Just one minor caveat to what Dunk says. Historically at least one Schneider lens was available with both Nikon and Leica mounts, but as Dunk implies, it's necessary to replace the whole mount itself.The best known example is the Leica R 28/2.8 PC Super Angulon, which was actually produced by Schneider for Leica. It was also available under the Schneider badge for Nikon, and I have seen examples on the second-hand market with Nikon and Leica mounts both bundled in. There was obviously enough scope in the design of the lens and the two mounts to accommodate the odd half millimetre. I understand that it was relatively straightforward to swap the mounts, as there was no automatic diaphragm and stop-down mechanism actually coupled through the mount.

Hmm.  That's precisely the lens I'm thinking of.  The ones with the Nikon mounts always seem to go for several hundred dollars less than the R-mount variants.  I suspect that trying to find a stray mount for the conversion might be difficult, though (?)

Hmm.  That's precisely the lens I'm thinking of.  The ones with the Nikon mounts always seem to go for several hundred dollars less than the R-mount variants.  I suspect that trying to find a stray mount for the conversion might be difficult, though (?)

Very likely true! (Unless it turns out that one of the standard R lens mounts might fit, but I've no idea in that sort of detail.)

I think that it is not really a problem to find such a stray Leica R bayonet mount ;)

For example there is a PC-Super Angulon 2,8/28mm, switched  from Leica "R" to Nikon F mount in my photo bag ...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica R mount version can be converted to Nikon F via a Leitax mount adapter ( it might be worth asking Leitax if they can provide a custom adapter because its just possible that the Nikon F mount and the Leica R mount bolt onto the Schneider lens in the same way and that the Schneider lens body sits in the same relative position (to the sensor plane) for both variants.

That was the case from the very beginning, even when the lenses were in production and sold brand-new.

See: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/57446-leica-markup/

Guy

Edited by gvaliquette