M3 90mm framelines visible with 50mm lens attached

Did you try moving the lever for framelines? Do you still see the left vertical line for 90mm when you use a 50mm lens when you move the lever? Can you try what happens with another 50mm lens?

If the left vertical line sticks even if you move the lever and/or use another 50mm lens, someting is wrong with the rangefinder. If not, your Planar may not activate the frames exactly due to some mechanical inaccuracy.

• Like 1

Did you try moving the lever for framelines? Do you still see the left vertical line for 90mm when you use a 50mm lens when you move the lever? Can you try what happens with another 50mm lens?

If the left vertical line sticks even if you move the lever and/or use another 50mm lens, someting is wrong with the rangefinder. If not, your Planar may not activate the frames exactly due to some mechanical inaccuracy.

If I move the lever just a hint, the framelines go away. I dont have another 50, but tried with a 75mm lens and the 90mm lines disappear. Seems like my Zeiss Planar does not push the knob far enough. Can I adjust it? Use a piece of paper or something?  Glad the RF is ok :)

Edit: It actually only appears when I have focus set at 0.7-1 meter. Should be fine then, as the RF closer than this is not accurate

Edited by OGWphoto

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have any other 50mm lens to try? The framelines are selected by a level pushed by a notch in the lens flange. If the incorrect framelines is only for this 50mm lens then camera is ok and I won’t worry too much. Else get the camera adjusted. Personally, I won’t care too much as long as 50mm framelines are clearly visible.

I had an m4 that had partial lines appear when they weren’t supposed to. This happens when the camera hasn’t been exercised for a long time and may go away as the camera gets used more with different lenses. I had mine cla’d by Youxin Ye for peace of mind before I sold it. I would keep moving the frameline lever and see if it improves.