wishlist for firmwareupdate for the CL

I borrowed a CL today and had two thoughts on updates.

1) I also would have thought the right wheel in Aperture mode would increase the aperture numbers (from 2.8 --> 16) as you turn the wheel clockwise, but apparently that's not possible.

2) Set the EVF to black and white. As I shoot in RAW/DNG and process in Silver EfexPRo2 I want to see the images as I imagine them post processing. I can do this with my DL-109 when shooting RAW/DNG so I was surprised I couldn't do this with the CL.

Did I miss something?

• Like 1

[...]

2) Set the EVF to black and white. As I shoot in RAW/DNG and process in Silver EfexPRo2 I want to see the images as I imagine them post processing. I can do this with my DL-109 when shooting RAW/DNG so I was surprised I couldn't do this with the CL.

Did you try Menu (page 2) / Film Style / BWnat or BWhc? The EVF displays in B&W then.

It's really very simple. An EVF that I can set to B&W while shooting RAW/DNG only. The CL can't do that, but the DL-109 can. You might want to try it: set your CL to shoot RAW/DNG only. Then try to set the EVF so it will show in B&W. If it can be done I would love to know how as it's not mentioned in the manual, nor could I do it on the screen.

Edited by Le Chef

I can get the EVF in B&W on my DL-109 when I select RAW/DNG only. I have no interest in shooting JPEG.

And my point still stands: I can’t do that with the CL.

If you can, selecting RAW/DNG only, I would love to know how you can select B&W for the EVF. Can you give me the instructions or show me the page number from the manual?

It doesn't make sense to show the image in B&W on the LCD when shooting DNG only, as the camera will output the full colour information anyway. 

So if the CL doesn't fake B&W when on DNG only, that is simply the way it is. AFAIK no M camera behaves differently, nor the SL, only the lower-level Panaleicas.

I fail to see why one would refuse to choose DNG+JPG. All my cameras are set that way, giving me a choice when postprocessing - and LCD rendering, if needed.  If so desired, one could even import DNGs only.

Oh dear! It’s something I asked if it was possible. I didn’t need judgement - just because you don’t want something doesn’t make my request wrong.

And it’s a very simple request: it’s a choice that helps me think and see in B&W.

Just because you choose to shoot RAW + JPEG doesn’t mean that’s the only choice or that it’s the best choice - there are others - and I see no point shooting JPEGs if I’m not going to use them. That’s my choice.

And my question is pretty straightforward: why can I get what I want in a smaller cheaper camera and not in the more sophisticated one, without being told I’m making the wrong choice?

If you can’t answer the question then I will find someone who can answer it.

[...] And my question is pretty straightforward: why can I get what I want in a smaller cheaper camera and not in the more sophisticated one, without being told I’m making the wrong choice? [...]

Because Leica users don't like complicated menus i guess and because there is a simple solution to your issue. 

Oh dear! It’s something I asked if it was possible. I didn’t need judgement - just because you don’t want something doesn’t make my request wrong.

And it’s a very simple request: it’s a choice that helps me think and see in B&W.

Just because you choose to shoot RAW + JPEG doesn’t mean that’s the only choice or that it’s the best choice - there are others - and I see no point shooting JPEGs if I’m not going to use them. That’s my choice.

And my question is pretty straightforward: why can I get what I want in a smaller cheaper camera and not in the more sophisticated one, without being told I’m making the wrong choice?

If you can’t answer the question then I will find someone who can answer it.

Because a camera maker makes design choices which may happen not to be yours, or mine. Especially if they are trivial.

It will obviously work with DNG+JPEG because the camera is processing the JPEG's, but it will not work for DNG only, as no processing is done in the camera.

No, it works fine for DNG only, even though the camera is not storing the JPEG files. Just checked.Change the Film Style to one of the two B&W settings.

It's how all my cameras have behaved, to be honest. The JPEG settings are independent of the JPEG file output.

Edited by ramarren

1) I also would have thought the right wheel in Aperture mode would increase the aperture numbers (from 2.8 --> 16) as you turn the wheel clockwise, but apparently that's not possible.

With Firmware 2.0, you can swap the functions of left and right wheels. With dedicated lenses, they are normally assigned to aperture and EV Compensation in Aperture priority mode, but you can change the right wheel to one of eight functions out of the menus. I don't know what direction the aperture wheel turns, I only use M and R lenses.

With adapted M and R lenses, I have the wheels set to control EV Comp on the left and focus assist magnification on the right. This works nicely for me.

• Like 1

Did you try Menu (page 2) / Film Style / BWnat or BWhc? The EVF displays in B&W then.

[...] it works fine for DNG only, even though the camera is not storing the JPEG files. Just checked.Change the Film Style to one of the two B&W settings. [...]

Thank you for the response - very informative. So the simple answer is no.

The simple answer is yes if you do what suggested above B).