M10-P - No Instruction Manual In the Box

MarkieC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Like many forums this one has a section where you can read the general rules for participation and it's polite to post an introduction to say hello before you start posting questions/opinions.

But when new users have something they want to get off their chest (having paid out mega-bucks)...

What a tough crowd.

Thanks for making me feel so welcome after my first post.

Mark

Don’t take it personally, and welcome. It isn’t really an outrage, though is it. It isn”t the end of the World, and not including a paper manual is reasonably common these days.

When you do get your manual, you will find (I’m sure) that it’s rubbish. I did read the M9 manual and wondered if they had included huge chunks of the M7 manual by mistake. I never read them. For the SL and the TL2, it might have been useful, but firmware upgrades made anything in the manual out of date.

You learn more on this forum.

Like many forums this one has a section where you can read the general rules for participation and it's polite to post an introduction to say hello before you start posting questions/opinions.

Trolls and spammers tend not to bother.

James,

Kindly excuse me if I did not introduce myself first.  Perhaps, I should have but I didn't mean any harm.  I was really upset about the manual and reacted accordingly.  I am from the old school where I like to hold a manual in my hands.  That is my preference.  I was very surprised at Leica for not including it.

But to have my first post turn into a vehicle for ridicule by numerous members here (including yourself) does not show the politeness that you have expected from me.

I am not a troll or a spammer.  I was merely expressing my honest opinion, and then shot down.

Since I do not meet your very high standards, please do me a big favor, kindly remove me from your list of members.  I was merely expressing my honest opinion.  And then criticized by people who did not show me the courtesy and politeness that you have expected of me.

Kindly remove me from your membership list.

Thank you.

Mark

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just picked up my M10-P yesterday.  Imagine my surprise when I realized that a manual was not included.

I paid $7,995 for a camera and Leica would not include a printed manual.  Of course I can go online and print it myself, but the end result will not be the same.

On Leica's website there is an option to fill out a form and eventually a printed manual will be mailed to me.

What arrogance on Leica's behalf!  It's an outrage.

Mark

Leica will send you a printed manual free of charge if you can show some patience. I'm certain the problem is in publishing, and not in some conspiracy to deny owners a printed manual (even though I can find many reasons for going digital in this instance). A pdf file is easily created, changed and downloaded. A print copy takes longer, requiring design, formatting, printing, binding and distribution. 

Leica will send you a printed manual free of charge if you can show some patience. I'm certain the problem is in publishing, and not in some conspiracy to deny owners a printed manual (even though I can find many reasons for going digital in this instance). A pdf file is easily created, changed and downloaded. A print copy takes longer, requiring design, formatting, printing, binding and distribution. 

Printing is expensive, and the vast majority of people do not read the manual, there really is no point wasting money and resources on something that will be left in the box.

The fact Leica do allow people to order a manual if they want one is unusual these days and should be applauded, very few companies offer that option.

What a tough crowd.

Thanks for making me feel so welcome after my first post.

Mark

Welcome aboard, Marckie!  

Level III body armor is highly recommended for safe navigation in these waters.  Shootings are practically a thing of the past, but back stabbings abound - as do front stabbings.  Think of it as nothing more than good, clean fun.

Here's hoping you will enjoy your time with this august crew of cutthroats! 

Edited by Herr Barnack

When I picked up my M10 it had a Leica T Instruction Book in the box.

That's just a hung over employee picking up a book from the wrong box first thing on a Monday morning. 

[...] I am from the old school where I like to hold a manual in my hands. That is my preference. I was very surprised at Leica for not including it. [...]

+1. Not that i use instructions manuals that much, i prefer pdf files generally. But at this price level, i fail to see the point of providing sophisticated packages with no manual in there. We should not have to ask to get such basic things IMHO. 

Edited by lct

What arrogance on Leica's behalf!  It's an outrage.

Mark

Outrage on a new user's first post is un-called for.  After the tenth post it is to be expected.  Hence the sharp reaction.

But on the question of printed manuals, Leica is like many tech companies in putting the tech writing at the very last point in the schedule, so that printing an elegant  and proofread copy, written and edited to be clear, would simply delay shipping a product.  In fact, Leica's manuals are not written clearly (certainly not in English  but I can't comment accurately on the original German versions).  And mistakes are not fixed between the pdf version and the elegant printed copies, nor is the pdf version updated when firmware updates change the cameras' function.

I just picked up my M10-P yesterday.  Imagine my surprise when I realized that a manual was not included.

It's the new policy from Leica. After a few months of them reading posts on the LUF forum Leica get a handle on how their camera works, what doesn't work, and then we go through a few Firmware updates in the hope of putting it all right, and eventually they can publish a definitive manual. In the meantime updating a web page or .pdf daily (or hourly) is far more informative for the user as to the current state of knowledge about the M10-P.

Edit - Darn it Scott, you got in there just before me!

Edited by 250swb

James,

Kindly excuse me if I did not introduce myself first. Perhaps, I should have but I didn't mean any harm. I was really upset about the manual and reacted accordingly. I am from the old school where I like to hold a manual in my hands. That is my preference. I was very surprised at Leica for not including it.

But to have my first post turn into a vehicle for ridicule by numerous members here (including yourself) does not show the politeness that you have expected from me.

I am not a troll or a spammer. I was merely expressing my honest opinion, and then shot down.

Since I do not meet your very high standards, please do me a big favor, kindly remove me from your list of members. I was merely expressing my honest opinion. And then criticized by people who did not show me the courtesy and politeness that you have expected of me.

Kindly remove me from your membership list.

Thank you.

Mark

List? What list?

Members "list", he's thrown a hissy fit and wants to be deleted from the forum.

I'd no idea Leica had stopped shipping user manuals with cameras and I've no idea what is currently actually suppled within the product packaging.

I would have expected at least a "User Quick Guide", one of those accordion folded A4 sheets to explain the basics.

There is some necessary User Manual reading required to understand menu items and their effectiveness dependent on configuration (spot metering effectiveness only when using EVF for example).

I am genuinely surprised given the demographic the majority of M users tend to belong to (old and stuck in their ways, I'm speaking personally here 

) that Leica chose to force them to an electronic version. But thinking about it and the nature of the product (digital camera) it is quire reasonable to expect a digital copy far more usable in the long run.

I downloaded the M10 PDF manual whilst I waited 10 months for my camera, I think I flipped through the included paper version and concluded my reading glasses weren't powerful enough to read the small text and it's remained in the box ever since.

Quite honestly, since I've had my M10 for nearly a year now I can't recall even going into the menu for anything. Everything I need is in the 3 settings of Aperture, Shutter and ISO, the essence of Das Wesentliche.

Leaving me free to struggle with the framing and focus of suitable subject matter which, I've yet to master despite a lifetime of practice!.

Maybe we can say that most younger people like the idea of an electronic manual whreas the older ones prefer the physical manual (as I do too). For the later group Leica provides us with a physical manual without any problem. So we just do not have that manual in the box but get it on request. I can easily accept that policy.

It’s been a while since I bought any new Leica stuff but I’m sure there were bulky manuals in one of The unboxing my new Leica you tube videos I bothered to watch for some reason.

It must be a fairly new policy by Leica but really quite sensible (I too have some pdf instructions on my phone for other things).

Also there’d be hardly any traffic on this forum if everyone bothered to read their manuals!!