M240 vs M240 M-P general operational speed

JC331

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone. I’m considering either purchasing a well used and slightly poor condition M240 MP, or a better condition and cheaper (by a couple of hundred pounds) secondhand M240.

I’m aware of the main differences, sapphire glass, no red dot, frame line preview and increased 2gb buffer allowing a larger number of shots to be taken etc. But some reviews imply that there is also a general boost to operational speed, presumably this means navigating menus, previewing images etc. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Switching to live view on the M240 definitely adds a delay to the response of pressing to shoot. It also adds a sound to the shoot cycle. I didn’t notice any slowness to menu services.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Personally, I opted for a M240, only considered the MP for cosmetic reasons. I have never heard of anybody shooting continuous mode on an M and have never done it myself either. I don't switch lenses often and have barely used the frame line preview on my analog M's. So I couldn't justify the extra cost. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses, I wouldn’t need the extra buffer, but was curious if the general handling of the camera in terms of accessing menus and chimping was faster (although I gather this is all perfectly fast enough on the standard M240).

Agree the MP looks better, love the dark metal of the main control button and removal of that giant red dot. Maybe I should wait as suggested.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had both but only having the M240P now, hopefully my experience may help. 

Regarding extra buffer size, the menu access has no difference in speed.  However the preview and zooming in/out has tiny bit improvements on MP but so minute that I ain't satisfy on both models.  On C mode, yes I can tell some improvements and I use C all the times.    

I've also noticed the light meter reading has a bit different between the 2 models (same firmware).  The MP shows warmer and M is cooler, I can't say which one is better because I do post editing to correct the color temperature anyway. 

Don't forget MP has shorter exposure time which I really don't get it why it happens on a so called M Professional model, which supposed to have longer exposure time.

I think the LCD is great because I don't really need a protector.  For the style, it's really personal and I dig MP more.

My conclusion, the MP is a facelift more than a professional model. 

• Like 2

I had a 240 and upgraded it to the M-P.

I found that in street photography, the 240 would hang regularly when shooting in rapid succession. This hasn't happened at all with the M-P.

I also think that the M-P is significantly better looking than the 240.

Ernst 

• Like 1

I had a 240 and upgraded it to the M-P.

I found that in street photography, the 240 would hang regularly when shooting in rapid succession. This hasn't happened at all with the M-P.

I also think that the M-P is significantly better looking than the 240.

Ernst

When it hung up were you using S or C on the shutter choices?

ie: Did it hang on rapid presses of the shutter button?

my M240 experience was... applied to all conditions.  The shutter sometimes even delayed for half second too.  On the other hand the MP is more responsive. 

Speaking of C mode, the intervals between shutter are uneven on both M or MP -- similar to morse code.

It would hang in single shot mode (rapid presses of the shutter). I never used it in continuous mode. Even taking photos 3-4 seconds apart could cause it to hang.

Ernst

For me it would be totally a matter of condition.  I would want whichever one seemed like it has had the lightest amount of use, as repairs on these cameras can take months and the cost could potentially negate the savings of having bought second hand without warranty vs a Leica-certified preowned or demo M10.  

As for the differences between 240 and P, cosmetically a drop of acetone on a cotton bud will remove the paint in the "M" engraving, and a little black (or silver, depending on the body color) model-airplane paint will blend-in the logo dot.  The difference between Gorilla glass and sapphire is not nearly as distinct as between acrylic and sapphire.  The buffer is only an issue in continuous shooting.  So for me the main selling point of the P is the frame preview.  Or I should say "would have been", as after about a month of missing it (after the M9), I got so used to not having it I no longer care that it's missing.  (Ditto the body thickness, which is why I was not compelled by the M10). 

• Like 1

The buffer is only an issue in continuous shooting.  

That's really not the case. The buffer is an issue in single shot mode too. That's why I upgraded to the M-P.

You're also forgetting the top plate engraving, which for me made a difference to the look of the camera.

Ernst

• Like 1

Personally, I think the 240P is a better looking camera, having owned both. No large M or large red dot for me, makes for a visually

more quiet camera. Why not wait for a better condition 240P?

I think camera thieves are able to spot a Leica no matter the big M and the red dot. I personally like very much to owe a Leica M240 and i like very much the red dot and the M. I'm no secret agent or war reporter. That would be like buying a gray Ferrari without any logo on it and suppose that thieves think it is an Anglia.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For somewhat rapid shooting with the non P 240, shoot in single shot over & over about every 3 seconds as needed.  I just did 15 in a row w/o a hang.  No, its not continuous but close & good enough for my & probably most purposes other than sports etc., which usually call for a DSLR anyway

As for the white M > fill it in with black crayon then buff.  Hasn't moved since the day I got it new.  Did same with M9

Red dot can be removed & painted.  Black ones are on the 'net - search the Forum for more on that with how-to's.  I spray painted mine one quiet Sunday.  Has weathered pleasingly with use

Well mainly due to a big difference in price I opted for the standard M240. I’ll bear in mind the tips re hiding or replacing the dot etc, I see DAG have them in black too, so thanks all.

Have to say that coming from an M8 it’s a big upgrade, the buffer is perfectly fine for my usual way of working, and general operation is easily fast enough - possibly faster than my A7r2 in fact. Love the quieter shutter as well.

• Like 1

I think camera thieves are able to spot a Leica no matter the big M and the red dot. I personally like very much to owe a Leica M240 and i like very much the red dot and the M. I'm no secret agent or war reporter. That would be like buying a gray Ferrari without any logo on it and suppose that thieves think it is an Anglia.

You missed my point entirely.

I could care less about thieves. 

Well mainly due to a big difference in price I opted for the standard M240. I’ll bear in mind the tips re hiding or replacing the dot etc, I see DAG have them in black too, so thanks all.

Have to say that coming from an M8 it’s a big upgrade, the buffer is perfectly fine for my usual way of working, and general operation is easily fast enough - possibly faster than my A7r2 in fact. Love the quieter shutter as well.

Congratulations! I made over 17,000 images with mine.its really one of Leica's best cameras to date.

• Like 1