Nikon Z6, Z7 and Leica SL ..... (merged)

thighslapper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And what will you do should Leica announce a 50 MP SL2 at Photokina? -Not to start a rumour, just mentioning a hypothetical possibility.

I would prefer IBIS for my M-lenses and Sl 90mm rather than more pixel. An improved tracking AF would be my second wish for the upcoming SL2. And finally a 40mm Tilt-shift lens, an exotic wish I must admit.

Funny how people's desires diverse. I'd personally want 40+ MP, provided they can also make steps to improve dynamic range and such. AF is fine as it is for me, IBIS for me has always been terrible and prone to breaking in the field. 

Funny how people's desires diverse. I'd personally want 40+ MP, provided they can also make steps to improve dynamic range and such. AF is fine as it is for me, IBIS for me has always been terrible and prone to breaking in the field.

That's why Nikon comes with two bodies, 24MP and 40+.

Is IBIS so unreliable? I've no personal experience, but friends of mine found IBIS helpful and they didn't complain anything.

• Like 1

For the huge price difference I would certainly overlook some minor hiccups like battery life and 2 cards etc. Price difference is huge and saved money can buy workarounds for these small issues cheap.

Yes, I’m in agreement and I’ve been considering picking up an SL body to use with my M lenses but was waiting until after Photokina to see if Leica was going to introduce anything new at the show. Now I’m a little conflicted with second thoughts after seeing all the Z7 news, as the price delta comparison to the SL body is a measurable difference. Since Leica already reduced the price of the SL, could they possibly reduce the price again to retain some market share against the new Z series?

Edited by RMF
  • Like 1

Seems to me that while the SL lenses are rightly praised, a common complaint is their size and weight, particularly the zooms (even while the extended focal range might replace an additional lens). For some, I think the option of smaller, lighter (native, weather sealed) lenses (even if slower and with less range) would be attractive.

It remains to be seen how the new weather sealed Z lenses (including 24-70 zoom) perform . But if they get rave reviews, I think that aspect alone will generate interest from people on the fence about system choices. Of course, many other decision variables and preferences will come into play, not the least of which is price, but that’s always a Leica given. And ergonomics and control/menu interface will surely play key roles.... just ask those who have tried Sony.

User testing will provide the answers; the rest is armchair analysis, which Leica users should well understand as others heap negative comments without ever actually trying the systems.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

You can pontificate on forums about gear until you are blue in the face but the only way to know anything about anything is to have the camera in your hands and use it.

It doesn't matter whether it's a Leica SL, a Nikon Z7, an Instax or a Lomo, if you don't like the camera, then it isn't for you, so find something else that's better suited to you.   

The Leica SL isn't for me or suited to what I do.  I don't like it for a number of reasons including, but not limited to, the handling on a tripod, the absurd cost and ridiculous bulk with a standard zoom lens. To me, it is a camera that's ok for making ok images, but has possibly fallen way behind overnight.

I have no idea if I'll like the Z7,  all I can say is I know Nikon inside out after 45 years as a professional landscape photographer who has used Nikon from my College days as part of the inventory. In my time, some Nikon cameras have been excellent, others have been dire.

I'll know if I want a Z7 after I've used one on loan.  Suffice to say at this stage, whoever took the decision to have only one card slot in the Z7 is a liability to the company. 

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1

Wow, so many buttons! It makes it seem like it was designed by a (very large) committee: every voting member gets a button, never mind if there's no space left for human hands.

Other than that, the new Nikon Zs seem decent, but not groundbreaking. The native lens line is limited for now (one kit zoom, two medium-speed primes). They are missing some "pro" features, but the cameras are obviously not designed for that sort of use. We may see a "mirrorless D5" in the future (in time for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics?), but Nikon wisely decided to start at the lower end of the range.

let us have another discussion, rather than pontificating on Nikon vs Leica. I love my Nikon Df (probably the only person in the entire forum) and my Nikon primes, bought in 2015. I also love my Leica M typ 262 with my Leica lenses, bought in 2016. This also shows I am not a fan boy or a pixel peeper. This is just to say I am not biased towards any one brand. My simple question is if I have to buy one between Leica SL and Nikon Z6 or Z7, money no object, which one I would go for in 2018? Lets further add a constraint, I would not like to change again for next 3 years ...

Edited by ajayk

Wow, so many buttons! It makes it seem like it was designed by a (very large) committee: every voting member gets a button, never mind if there's no space left for human hands.

Other than that, the new Nikon Zs seem decent, but not groundbreaking. The native lens line is limited for now (one kit zoom, two medium-speed primes). They are missing some "pro" features, but the cameras are obviously not designed for that sort of use. We may see a "mirrorless D5" in the future (in time for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics?), but Nikon wisely decided to start at the lower end of the range.

It fits in well with Nikon’s ergonomics and button placement over a long period of time and a number of cameras.

There appears to be a few new changes that may be difficult to get used to if coming from Nikon DSLR but I don’t see this as having anything to do with “designed by committee” thinking.

• Like 1

let us have another discussion, rather than pontificating on Nikon vs Leica. I love my Nikon Df (probably the only person in the entire forum) and my Nikon primes, bought in 2015. I also love my Leica M typ 262 with my Leica lenses, bought in 2016. This also shows I am not a fan boy or a pixel peeper. This is just to say I am not biased towards any one brand. My simple question is if I have to buy one between Leica SL and Nikon Z6 or Z7, money no object, which one I would go for in 2018? Lets further add a constraint, I would not like to change again for next 3 years ...

Strange question to ask a forum. It’s dependent on what you’re looking for.

Starting from scratch I would start with lenses and then test each camera body to see if there are any deal breakers.

That's why Nikon comes with two bodies, 24MP and 40+.

Is IBIS so unreliable? I've no personal experience, but friends of mine found IBIS helpful and they didn't complain anything.

My A7R2 has been sent to Sony no less than five times to fix the IBIS. 

Nothing strange about the question. Everyone knows the Nikon lens line up and that Z6 and Z7 are both capable of using old Nikon lenses as well with a $100 adapter. Leica SL on the contrary has very few lenses unless until you buy a $400 adapter for M lenses. I assumed this much would be common knowledge. I can also say confidently that Nikon lenses are no slouch either. I also know for sure that Nikon will be quick in lunching native lenses for mirror less.

I thought logic would have prevailed and one would like to comment on owning a 5 year old technology vs latest technology. If lenses play a 70% part in digital photography, 30% is still played by body. Both Z6 and SL are 24 MP bodies but technology differs.

Edited by ajayk

Nothing strange about the question. Everyone knows the Nikon lens line up and that Z6 and Z7 are both capable of using old Nikon lenses as well with a $100 adapter. Leica SL on the contrary has very few lenses unless until you buy a $400 adapter for M lenses.

In my case, the ability to control focus is key. That means that Leica's offer of dozens of outstanding manual focus R and M lenses beats Nikon's multitude of AF lenses (which are very hard to focus manually).

Sure, there are many Nikon AI and AI-s lenses around, but they were designed 30+ years ago, and they weren't all world-beaters.

• Like 2