Sell it or keep it ?

seekwul

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

Long story, but I somehow wound up with a 35mm 1.4 ASPH Summilux-M (the 11 874 version) and a 35mm 1.4 ASPH Summilux-M (the 11 663 version). The 11874 was my favorite lens, but now I prefer the 11663. I don't need the money right now, and it's not really taking up appreciable space in my apartment, but it seems to be selling for $4000 or so on auction - which is actually more than I paid for it back in the 90's. 

Is the general consensus that used lens prices will continue to increase ? Or should I sell it now while I can ?

Thanks !

(this was mistakenly posted to the M 240 forum; sorry about that)

somehow wound up with a 35mm 1.4 ASPH Summilux-M (the 11 874 version) and a 35mm 1.4 ASPH Summilux-M (the 11 663 version).

Best to look into how somehow you wound up with both. Self examine, explain so we all benefit from your mistake.

• Like 1

It was more innocent than it sounds. I bought the first one in the 90's. I had saved up for it for a long time and it was my favorite lens. The second one, a friend of mine was switching formats and was going to sell three lenses to me at $500 each. He wouldn't take more from me, but I couldn't let them go as part of his trade in, so I bought them even though I didn't really need them. I mean, $500 for this lens I couldn't just let it go. So now I have 2.

• Like 1

Use it or sell it. There are far better investments than camera gear. Plus, it’s now clear that you’ve already built in a profit. Others say never sell a Leica lens.... my time is better spent looking for pics than deciding which lens to choose... keep it simple.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Life is too short to wait for the value of a Leica lens to increase, what will it grow, 200$ in 5 years? People are travelling more and more, so if you want to see things of the world you have to be quick. Spend your 4000$ on a nice destination for your other 35.

I once tested bot side by side and found the rendering of the FLE a bit 'dry' (if that makes any sense) compared to that of its older sibling, but it's really a small difference. My copy of the 11874 doesn't exhibit any focus shift that would bother me - maybe I'm lucky, or maybe I'm not picky enough. This is why I never felt the need to 'upgrade'. It seems your preference goes the opposite way. If I were in your shoes, I'd sell the 11874 and put the profit to good use.

Keep it.

Unlike digital bodies, M lenses, especially those out of production, rarely depreciate.  There is a difference in optical design, and you may find yourself in the mood for using the other lens someday.

Eric

So you were able to get the current production Summilux FLE, a $5300 lens, for $500? That is an incredible gift in my opinion, I know “friend deals” can be really special and way way way outside of the realm of normal possibility. So I would say that if that’s the lens you’re using now and it produces images you like and are happy with, then unless there’s some significant emotional attachment to the previous version, I would go ahead and sell it and either save the money or go on a trip!