Summicron 50mm f2 Type 5 Sharpness

13ets

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Summarit 50/2.5 (no experience with 50/2.4) is indeed flare resistant in most cases but can do some nasty flare in special circumstances, typically at 10:00 AM when the sun in outside the frame. As for the Summicron 50/2, v5 has a bit less flare than v4 when the sun or other strong light sources are inside the frame but both lenses show some flare when such sources are just outside the frame. 50/2 v4 and v5 are not alone with this issue but they are outperformed, from this viewpoint, by Summilux 50/1.4 asph & pre-asph, ZM Sonnar 50/1.5 and also ZM Planar 50/2 i've been told but i have no experience with the latter. 

Edited by lct

M10 + Zeiss Planar 2,0/50

In center at 2,0 and 5,6. Focused at hard stop infinity.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M10 + Zeiss Planar 2,0/50

Left edge at 2,0 and 5,6. Focused at hard stop infinity.

• 2 years later...

You can always send such a lens that seems to be off in focussing off to Leica in Solms for a CLA and mechanical repair. They will advise you what is needed.

I did that with my V5 lens - that had developed quite some looseness. Focus ring, aperture ring, front element. 

This is the result after I got it back. Not a lighter but a lady bug. 

1 hour ago, Alberti said:

off to Leica in Solms

Or you could send to their new location in Wetzlar.

When I upload an image here, even at 'sponsor' resolution size, I think 'sharpness' takes a big hit compared to what I had on the monitor.

Zombie thread.

I've had 2 copies of the v5. First one on the M10-P then second on M10M. Both were/are sharp to the corners at f/5.6 and infinity. Both were/are sharp at MFD wide open in the center at any distance.

The OPs shots at close distance show motion blur, and the ones at infinity look like a poor-quality protective filter was used on the lens. Leica's UVa filters fall into the poor quality category, at least for the corners and outer zones. I've had the larger (77mm and up) B+W filters ruin corner sharpness on telephotos. Zeiss T* UV are one of the few that have been flawless for me at all sizes on all lenses. I have a Breakthrough Photography clear filter on the way for the 50 Chron v5 (since Zeiss doesn't make a UV filter in 39mm) – will  have to test and see how it performs.