M10-P Shutter Sound Comparison

elmars

Hearing is believing.

I've just compared the sound of the M10 and M10P at Leica Mayfair. The M10P really is far quieter and 'duller'. I would be tempted to use it in a silent recital room with an easily-irritated person beside me. The vibration is different too:feels a bit 'heavier'. Frankly it sounds like no other camera I've recently tried.

Sorry to all those who have posted audio recordings, but I was totally misled by them - they make the M10P sound much closer to the M240 than it is.

Anyone concerned by this issue really should go and try it in the flesh.

• Like 3

Hearing is believing.

I've just compared the sound of the M10 and M10P at Leica Mayfair. The M10P really is far quieter and 'duller'. I would be tempted to use it in a silent recital room with an easily-irritated person beside me. The vibration is different too:feels a bit 'heavier'. Frankly it sounds like no other camera I've recently tried.

Sorry to all those who have posted audio recordings, but I was totally misled by them - they make the M10P sound much closer to the M240 than it is.

Anyone concerned by this issue really should go and try it in the flesh.

What about the shutter re-cocking? On the M9 that is what makes it loud.

By the sound of it it may have been deliberate tweak to the common shutter used on M10 & M10P to make it a bit nosier on the M10, probably adding small shock absorber made camera quieter. Cant imagine introducing brand new shutter mechanism with all body interface issues that may be associated with that.

Levelling chip was designed from the outset only omitted on M10, no chance they redesigned the whole electronic board for the M10P.   Parts and fittings for both components probably cost pennies.. Touch screen was there all along, just few tweaks in firmware.

By making two minuscule modifications on P, substituting red dot with a screw and engraving top plate suddenly you get old product at  more than 10% markup, brilliant.  At least earlier P  versions of M9 and M240 offered more notable modifications and involved introduction of more substantial components like sapphire scratch proof rear screen, bigger buffer memory, etc.

Edited by mmradman

:D  I really should keep up with all these technological wonders... so, um, how do the curtains reset then?

Please don't say there are no shutter curtains since the M9 ! :D 

Dunno about curtains.

The shutter recocks of course. But as I wrote, there is no separate recocking sound. You could only separate them in discreet mode on the M9, not since.

[...]

Please don't say there are no shutter curtains since the M9 ! :D

Well, technically, it is vertical metal blinds* these days :)

The analog M‘s still sport a horizontal cloth shutter. Hence the difference in shortest exposure times.

*: (EDIT) To forfeit nitpicking, the blinds are oriented horizontally, but their direction of travel, which by convention names the shutter, is vertical.

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 2

Dunno about curtains.

The shutter recocks of course. But as I wrote, there is no separate recocking sound. You could only separate them in discreet mode on the M9, not since.

I get that, but on the M9 even in normal mode the sound of the shutter (clunk) and then the re-cocking (wizz) sequence are very different and distinguishable.

Edited by ianman

I'm beginning to lose the will to live on this issue.

I suggest you go and listen to it.

I understand what you are saying but you don't seem to understand the question.

There is really no need to be insulting, if you can't answer a simple question then don't try.

Going up and listening to something (whatever that means) is not the correct answer.

I understand what you are saying but you don't seem to understand the question.

There is really no need to be insulting, if you can't answer a simple question then don't try.

Going up and listening to something (whatever that means) is not the correct answer.

Ian - I intended no insult and I apologise if that's how it came across. But I am genuinely, deeply uninterested in how the M10 (which I don't have) or M10P recock their shutters and whether there is a separate sound that can be distinguished. I only posted my report of my listening experience for the benefit of those who were possibly, like me, misled by the recordings.

• Like 1

Isn't the answer that the CCD sensor does not provide live view, so the shutter re-cocked, leaving the sensor covered.  The CMOS cameras (M240 & M10) have live view, so the exposure is different - shutter closes, exposure, then reopens to re-establish live view.  It's a more complicated and completely different process.  I doubt the improvement is more than shock absorbers, or slightly different muffling.

By making two minuscule modifications on P, substituting red dot with a screw and engraving top plate suddenly you get old product at  more than 10% markup, brilliant. 

True, if it were true ... But, for those who do care about these things, you get:

• traditional script top deck and no red dot (I'm not particularly fond of the red dot)
  • gorilla glass (nice to have)
  • quieter shutter (not too concerned)
  • touch screen (useful)
  • return of the internal level (good, but not entirely accurate)

All for a $700.00 premium.  Doesn't seem too bad to me.  I paid quite a lot more for the M9 upgrade back in 2011 ...  More critically, I agree with others who have commented that those who bought an M10 can still own it an use it.  A cosmetic upgrade isn't compulsory.

• Like 1

Isn't the answer that the CCD sensor does not provide live view, so the shutter re-cocked, leaving the sensor covered. The CMOS cameras (M240 & M10) have live view, so the exposure is different - shutter closes, exposure, then reopens to re-establish live view. It's a more complicated and completely different process. I doubt the improvement is more than shock absorbers, or slightly different muffling.

The M240 and M10 sound different (quieter) in normal mode than in live view mode, reflecting the longer and more complicated live view shutter action.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S